• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The top bicep exercise according to a study.

concentration curls are not a mass building movement rows are
Hey Mr you don't even squat. ..[emoji87]

f8de6b773f09fff38efa06e04792fed5.jpg

120kg row vs a 30kg bicep curl id say more biceps being torn up during the row imho

But that's what this study is all about. The row uses a smaller proportion of the bicep to do the work (by work I mean force x distance).

In both exercises you're recruiting the bicep. But in the concentration curl, that 30kg is ALL coming from the bicep.
If you find the 120kg row just as "hard" - then in that 120kg row, your bicep is still contributing 30kg to the exercise and the other 90kg is being moved by the other (mostly larger) muscles being recruited.

*The wording is a bit crude, but trying to keep the analogy simple.

Most Bicep exercises have their limitations, the three most important requirements are the position of the arm and the hand in the exercises and the strength curve of the movement.
Arthur Jones nailed this with his bicep curl and BTN pulldown.

using combinations of chin's and BB curls are the best, but only one or two sets otherwise, in time you will destroy the elbow.

The ten most important requirements for proper exercises are;

One... a rotational form of resistance, rotating on a common axis with the involved joint of the body.
Two... a direct form of resistance; resistance that is imposed upon the body part that is being worked.
Three... an automatically variable form of resistance that varies instantly as movement occurs.
Four... balanced resistance that varies in accordance with the actual requirements of the muscles in different positions.
Five... resistance that is provided in a stretched starting position; which requires a range of movement in the machine that actually exceeds the possible range of movement of the user.
Six... negative work potential
Seven... positive work potential
Eight... pre-stretching; a factor that is required during the last one or two repetitions of a set of high-intensity movements.
Nine... resistance that is provided in the finishing position of the movement, the only position of full muscular contraction.
Ten... the tenth factor may or may not be a requirement for truly proper, full range, high-intensity exercise...this being an unrestricted speed of movement.

Last edited:
alot of people hate wide grip pull ups because they cant do em, i think if you cant do em you arent officially strong,,after my shoulder injury healed they are all ive been doing pull ups and legs lol and this is the best ive felt in a long time, start your pull up routine with sets of 10,,make sure you are doing the widegrip palms facing away,,sets of 10 then sets of 5 then sets of 2 until failure i usually do 150 repsrear delts and back look pretty good atm as do my biceps!!

alot of people hate wide grip pull ups because they cant do em, i think if you cant do em you arent officially strong,,after my shoulder injury healed they are all ive been doing pull ups and legs lol and this is the best ive felt in a long time, start your pull up routine with sets of 10,,make sure you are doing the widegrip palms facing away,,sets of 10 then sets of 5 then sets of 2 until failure i usually do 150 repsrear delts and back look pretty good atm as do my biceps!!

Who are these people you speak of?

From someone who has fairly large arms - there is no secret....just train them - train them hard - be consistent - yes I go through phases where I will do X exercises but alot of the time my sessions will change everytime I step in the gym...also if your focusing on biceps to get big arms then your doing it wrong....focus on triceps.....

compound movements
isolation movements
high reps
low reps
light weight
heavy weight

Just do it all and the results will come....

If your training correctly this will simply come with training.....again no need to over think these things either...

This thread is not about triceps, it is a discussion on what exercise stimulates the biceps most effectively.

at what point in this thread has there been "overthinking"?

I don't think you need a plethora of different exercises. Find the 2-3 that work best for you and progress with those.