• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The problem with Crossfit

I can spot someone who's entire training knowledge comes from starting strength based on how they squat. The hip drive he teaches is stupid and inefficient and only good at light weights. He's reasonably good at taking a none one and making them into a slightly stronger no one but I'm pretty sure he's never produced anybody who's actually properly strong.

PTC Canberra
http://www.ptccanberra.com.au

One thing i noticed, he falls out with anyone he works with, pendlay ect . No doubt due to his my way is the only way style.

Rip is an idiot regardless of his thoughts on crossfit.

PTC Canberra
http://www.ptccanberra.com.au

From another forum:

To summarize Rippetoe's argument here:

Exercising can hurt you. Crossfit is making more people exercise. More people may get hurt.

He's right about many things, but his arguments here are why I made the assertion that nothing he says is relevant in this context, for the following reasons:
  • Crossfit is a fad. As an olympic lifter, it's undeniably done good things for the sport. But people are unlikely to continue paying hundreds of dollars a month in gym fees for more than a few years.
  • Crossfit is a successful fad because it's currently in vogue to be in shape. The people doing awful quarter good-morning squats and "every day is bench day" at LA Fitness are no less likely to have back, knee, and rotator cuff problems.
  • Crossfit is demonized because "kipping", AMRAP deadlifts, and high-volume olympic lifts don't make a lot of sense, and Crossfit Global has terrible programming.
  • Crossfit's programming is not any worse than the average "random bullshit" programs routinely prescribed by PTs at global gyms.

Essentially, if you buy into Rippetoe's arguments:
  • Exercise isn't worth the risk of injury unless you're going to compete; looking/feeling good isn't enough
  • Post-novice Crossfitters are complete morons who will continue to follow WODs instead of creating their own programming focused on plyo, metcons, and oly lifts once (if, really) they stall
  • The average crossfitter gives a shit about having a 300 Sinclair and not abs
  • 48 hours of recovery(+GOMAD) is necessary, contrary to the training regimens of every olympic lifter and bodybuilder ever

Then, he has a point. All of these are wrong. Despite having valid criticisms and praise, the majority of the editorial is linkbaiting trash.