• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The problem with Crossfit

wow we literally posted the same article at the same time

Lol great minds...

Let me premise this post by saying I have no great issue with crossfit in general and I do have the utmost respect for the pros; I think they are outstanding athletes. But the issues Rippetoe raises for the general population partaking in crossfit are genuine concerns.

A friend is a real crossfit addict; I am talking cult like proportions. When we discuss training I have always asked what she is training for and how does she gauge progression. They are questions she is unable to give a solid answer for and trusts those in charge to gauge those factors for her.

The other thing (as highlighted multiple times in this thread and by Rippetoe) is the coaching of olympic lifts from individuals who obtain a certificate in a weekend for $1k. I just wouldn't want to learn such tech lifts from anyone other than a properly qualified olympic lifting coach. Can't see how one could achieve that status in a weekend.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

of course it is money driven, as is other sports.

I mean, take personal training, paying big money to teach people how to lift basic weights.

Lol great minds...

Let me premise this post by saying I have no great issue with crossfit in general and I do have the utmost respect for the pros; I think they are outstanding athletes. But the issues Rippetoe raises for the general population partaking in crossfit are genuine concerns.

A friend is a real crossfit addict; I am talking cult like proportions. When we discuss training I have always asked what she is training for and how does she gauge progression. They are questions she is unable to give a solid answer for and trusts those in charge to gauge those factors for her.

The other thing (as highlighted multiple times in this thread and by Rippetoe) is the coaching of olympic lifts from individuals who obtain a certificate in a weekend for $1k. I just wouldn't want to learn such tech lifts from anyone other than a properly qualified olympic lifting coach. Can't see how one could achieve that status in a weekend.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Agreed, at least to be a pt you have to go for a week, lol, I get questioned why my lifts are improving by the week a lot faster than most at my Crossfit, and they don't realise that I spend my own time working technique and doing my own strength program, even our coach has said he would love to run 5x5 programs weekly and run strictly for progression, but said it won't appeal to the masses,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everything is money driven in this world, ptc is money driven , your local gym is money driven
what is so wrong with someone developing something to make money ?

Yep. Good point.

No one is forcing people at gun point to hand their cash over.

I don't like crossfit, it's not my thing but you can hardly criticize it because they are trying to make money. Who isn't.

Wtf, must of held his breath from the rack, I get dizzy doing 1rm front squats, but usually after the lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Na. Wrong bar position on front squats will cut the blood flow off to the brain.

Everyone holds their breath unracking heavy front squats. It is unlikely to make you pass out.

I can spot someone who's entire training knowledge comes from starting strength based on how they squat. The hip drive he teaches is stupid and inefficient and only good at light weights. He's reasonably good at taking a none one and making them into a slightly stronger no one but I'm pretty sure he's never produced anybody who's actually properly strong.

PTC Canberra
http://www.ptccanberra.com.au