• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Mate. Get those hips lower. Starting too high. But looked easy as otherwise

Tim.

To be honest man I feel less powerful with them even this low.. I like it higher
Trent told me I''ve pretty much been doing stiff leggers

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I do agree he will be much stronger with the hips lower through abducting the thighs
Stance moved in slightly and toes facing more forwards would achieve this nicely, force knees out
Otherwise you're pretty much doing a hamstring lift and not getting dat ass involved until the bar has passed the knees

I don't agree. Its a deadlift, not a squat with the bar in your hands.

Ok.

I do agree he will be much stronger with the hips lower through abducting the thighs
Stance moved in slightly and toes facing more forwards would achieve this nicely, force knees out
Otherwise you're pretty much doing a hamstring lift and not getting dat ass involved until the bar has passed the knees

Exactly. He is training to lift more weight.

Tim.

Dont feel as powerful because you are not used to the position. We shard very simolar proportions, I felt weaker too that way initally, but I quickly pr'ed after getting used to it.

But providing the lift remains safe etc, I guess it doesnt really matter.

Tim.

Of course I'm talking about lifting more weight.

A lot of great deadlifters have their arse high in the air.

I've tried getting hips down for years and it makes me weaker every time.

No disrespect here mate. :) I was only suggesting that he try it, just my opinion is all. I'm not saying he needs to squat the thing off the floor Malanichev style, just starting with hips lower a little bit. They are shooting up from the start. It literally is a stiff leg deadlift.

Im talking two inches here.

Upon further analysis I also think the bar is starting too far out in front of the body. Get it in closer to the shins IMO. From there the hips could be made to start to a little lower. With the bar out on front like that I beleive is basically forcing his body into that position that we see here. I like to see the shins touching the bar for me.

ALSO... The Fark you doing up so early mate!

Tim.

I see what you guys are saying with low hips etc, essentially for that technique I need to sit back more and the bar will move closer, the hips will be lower and the shins maintain a nice upright position
Still feels real awkward but will give it a good go to try learn potential better ways
Mechanically speaking, hips lower makes me feel like my body is moving much more to get the end result, and I'm off balance

As you see in the vid the first part of the movement all that happens is my butt moves up a couple inches
That's where I usually start the lift and I developed my usual style from doing stiffies and watching Richard Hawthorne videos

Yeah but they also have their knees abducted and stance further in

I see what you guys are saying with low hips etc, essentially for that technique I need to sit back more and the bar will move closer, the hips will be lower and the shins maintain a nice upright position
Still feels real awkward but will give it a good go to try learn potential better ways
Mechanically speaking, hips lower makes me feel like my body is moving much more to get the end result, and I'm off balance

As you see in the vid the first part of the movement all that happens is my butt moves up a couple inches
That's where I usually start the lift and I developed my usual style from doing stiffies and watching Richard Hawthorne videos

Take the tension out of the bar first and everything will be aligned properly and you won't be off balance
Weight won't lift off the ground unless the feet, bar and scapulae are all lined up

Line the bar up next to the shins, move stance in a bit, force the knees out and think about pushing heels apart. Think about t-bagging the bar and you grab it then push through the floor slightly. This will set you up perfectly and from this position you'll just shoot straight up.

I don't agree. Its a deadlift, not a squat with the bar in your hands.

You are spot on.
It's a back exercise mostly.
bend over put hands on bar, get yourself in the strongest position get tight...pull *up* not *back* use the whole body to lift, (as opposed to legs then back) don't look up...push your feet into the floor, Boom!

You are spot on.
It's a back exercise mostly.
bend over put hands on bar, get yourself in the strongest position get tight...pull *up* not *back* use the whole body to lift, (as opposed to legs then back) don't look up...push your feet into the floor, Boom!

Unfortunately getting your hips closer to the bar doesn't equate to "squatting the bar up" it equates to "improving leverages"

I would disagree with pulling up not back...I find pulling back engages my hams and glutes more and gets the chest up.
I guess everyone is different, I do totally agree with just bending over, and finding your strongest position.

Unfortunately getting your hips closer to the bar doesn't equate to "squatting the bar up" it equates to "improving leverages"

For a powerlifter, this makes perfect sense, especially when they excel in benching and squatting, due to their body proportions, torso closer to the bar for a short armed short legged bloke, means he is able to apply more force through the lower extremities and less on the torso, but as a general exercise the situation and set-up is different.