• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Insanity of Chuck Vogelpohl

Sherro

I know most of you aren't as crazy about multiply lifting as I am but anyone who is into powerlifting has heard of Chuck. The man is crazy strong and trains like an insane person. Here is video of him taking 1180 for a ride at the recent Lexen meet.

[YOUTUBE]T26_-Y72Rpk[/YOUTUBE]

haha shero... as soon as i saw this post 2 things instantly came to mind before i looked.
1) equipped lifting
2) i wonder how much food this chuck guy eats.

that was wayyy high... I woudlnt pass it in a million years.

I wouldn't say it's way high. It may not be as deep as ProRaw was demanding but it's also harder to judge because of how wide he squats and from that angle. Also doesn't help it was at a Lexxen meet.

I love Chuck because he is crazy, but he doesnt even start the lift erect.

As far as a legal powerlifting squat goes, I've yet to see a rule book stating anything else other than must break parallel.

All we did at ProRaw was stick to the rule book.

I'd love to allow nose bleed squats and claim all sorts of lifts from members, but I'm not wired that way.

Lifts like this only enforce the credibility of lifters like Malanchev. Its not the athletes fault either, so I meen no disrespect to Chuck.

If he was red lighted, then he would need to start squatting to legal depths.

Its the judges/meet directors who are to blame. Athletes will always bend the rules in any sport.

Underarm in Cricket, belly benching, knee drive in press at Olympics, steroids in tested sports.

Knowing this, every meet director has an obligation to keep his sport credible

From the video that I see, Chuck was a long way from breaking parallel

^^^ what i saw from the ProRaw vids was just enforcing a proper depth squat. It's an actually an indictment on what the sport has become in some quarters that the standard you set for the meet is considered somehow abnormal or unusually strict.

IPF clearly lead the way in judging in my opinion.

They are not perfect, but they are the best

In all fairness to multiply lifters, its not that easy hitting legal depth with a Leviathan on, same goes with those bench shirts.

A different set of rules for multiply might be the answer, but its unfair to compare this squat with those of IPF lifters

Hard to break below parralel with 4 ply on (counting briefs). Most equipped meets pass parralel squats. Even though they have to slightly break it. Athletes are always going to push the depth issue for an advantage.

Just for the record I didn't start this thread to bash on multiply lifting or high squats. I started it to show people what a freak Vogelpohl is. 1180 high or not is insane. Everyone needs to step down from their high horse and go squat (except Markos who actually did something about high squats by starting his own fed instead of bitching about it on forums).

I've never worn a suit, so my info is second hand. I know John trains both multiply and raw, so his answer would be accurate.

Steve Pritchard told me a funny story about a Leviathan suit he once had. Apparantly they stacked weight on it, and it didnt fold lol

big squat.

how come it's so hard to squat super deep in multiply equipment ?

More Plys provide more support but make it harder to get depth. The Leviathan especially as it's canvas which differs from poly in the way it provides support. Canvas stops you in the hole where as poly gives your more pop out of the hole.

Steve Pritchard told me a funny story about a Leviathan suit he once had. Apparantly they stacked weight on it, and it didnt fold lol

oh god...that sounds...strange...

We have a girl who does powerlifting at my gym. I'll have a chat with her tonight about this sort of stuff. It's a bit off topic...her coach has her doing front squats to work on her deadlift.

Thanks for that insight Sherro!!