• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

TGA Petition

Aek

Sign the Stop the TGA categorising our Foods as Medicine Petition!

(
Australian residents only)
Put simply, this petition is trying to stop the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration from legislating regulation which will term all food in a capsule or tablet as a drug or a Therapeutic Good (its still regulated as a drug).

This petition will be sent to the federal minister of health (Nicola Roxon) and the Assistant Minister of Health (Mark Butler). Your petition email will also be sent to the TGA's submission email address.

Nicola.Roxon.MP@aph.gov.au
Mark.Butler.MP@aph.gov.au

The Project Officer
Section 7 Consultation 2009
Regulatory Compliance Unit
Therapeutic Goods Administration
PO Box 100 WODEN ACT AUSTRALIA
Section7consultation@tga.gov.au

The TGA explanation is below:

In Australia, it has long been recognised that there is a legislative ‘interface’, or overlap, between foods and medicines for human oral consumption. As the food and complementary medicine sectors have evolved over recent years, a ‘grey area’ has unintentionally developed at this food-medicine interface. The confusion is due to certain areas of food legislation and therapeutic goods legislation overlapping in such a way that makes it difficult to determine which legislation should be applied in many

Health Petitions

SO WHY ARE WE AGAINST THIS PRPOSAL.

Hippocrates said "let food be thy medicine". This did not mean that our food should be regulated as dangerous drugs that need to be treated as potentially life threatening!

Hundreds of years later the observation of Hippocrates still stands, yet the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) want to go one step further and class our food as a hazardous medicine similar to dangerous synthetic pharmaceutical drugs? The TGA wants to do this by changing legislation that makes our food in capsule or tablet form a drug!

Section 7 declarations - food or therapeutic good?
http://www.tga.gov.au/cm/consult/cons-s7declaration.pdf

Does this mean that Kellogg's Special-K in a capsule could soon be a drug or shredded wheat cereals?

The TGA states:

"In Australia, it has long been recognised that there is a legislative ‘interface’, or overlap, between foods and medicines for human oral consumption. As the food and complementary medicine sectors have evolved over recent years, a ‘grey area’ has unintentionally developed at this food-medicine interface. The confusion is due to certain areas of food legislation and therapeutic goods legislation overlapping in such a way that makes it difficult to determine which legislation should be applied in many cases."

The real reason for this over lap is that the TGA regulates health supplements as medicines. Health supplements should be regulated in a third category of their own, just as they are now or soon to be in New Zealand. If this happened then foods would not be regulated as drugs or medicines. This "confusion" is the fault of the TGA's regulation and not the fault of the health supplement industry!

We use natural health products as foods and not medicine. Yes good food keeps us healthy but it is not a drug! We do not find the existing laws misleading or confusing as the TGA has insisted .

In fact, changing the law as the TGA is suggesting makes the new laws even more confusing.

We as consumers understand the difference between foods and medicines and we do not need the TGA to define this for us. We are intelligent human beings, we read the labels, we educate ourselves. It may be confusing to the TGA but it is not confusing to the public!

This law benefits the bigger health companies of which are mostly owned or majority controlled by drug companies. This proposal by the TGA will raise the costs of entry point into the health food market for small business, leaving a monopoly for larger companies.

Turning such food products into medicines is misleading on the TGA's behalf and serves also the financial interests of the TGA, as it generates more income with regards to annual audits and listing on the TGA Therapeutic Register of a health product. These costs will then be passed on to consumers.

For example, such products as Chlorella, Wheat grass, Barley grass and Spirulina, under the TGA's proposed plans, will become a drug and a medicine. These products will then become more expensive to purchase. This is outrageous!

People prefer these foods in a capsule form during travel, or because the taste may not be desirable to the palate, or just simply as it is easier to monitor how much of the food they have ingested, this does not make them a therapeutic good (drug).

Does this mean that the TGA will also categorise products, available from food retail, such as sodium saccharin tablets as a drug? This is the same sodium saccharin which has been linked to cancer (but still available to the public). Or will the TGA make exemptions for dangerous products like sodium saccharin to be freely available as a food?

Over the years the TGA and its officers seem to have forgotten about their original charter, and now we are seeing what is commonly called "regulatory creep".

The whole primary raison d'être for the TGA is to keep us safe from dangerous drugs, which the TGA is not doing such a good job of. Remember Vioxx? The TGA did nothing! Merck Sharp & Dohme eventually pulled the Vioxx off the market voluntarily after it had already killed 50,000 people (Authorities ignored Vioxx warning - Breaking News - http://www.theage.com.au)

The TGA should keep its hands off our foods! Food is a food and drugs are potentially dangerous products produced by drug companies! There is a large difference and we do not find the definition confusing, nor should the TGA!

The amendments to Section 7 of the Therapeutics Goods Act should not be implemented in any form.

Health Petitions

A good source has informed me that it will not get up the Section 7, but there is a grey area that exists with capsule products in Aust.

WHAT PEOPLE HERE NEED TO UNDERSTAND IS THAT THE TGA ARE HEAVILY REGULATING AN INDUSTRY THAT DOES NOT REALLY NEED REGULATING AS MATTER OF FACT NO-ONE HAS DIED FROM TAKING ANY BODYBUILDING SUPPLEMENT HERE OR IN NZ.

AS MATTER OF FACT NO-ONE HAS DIED FROM TAKING STERIODS IN THE US EITHER SO GO FIGURE !!!

The Grey area that i am talking about is open to interparatation the tga can if the reckon some supp is Therapeutic take it off the market and force you to register the product which does costs quite a bit of money.

This forces small buisnesses to go broke which is exactly what the Pharmaceutical industry wants !

When you really think about it it's the drug companies that run the tga in the first place !!!

Supplements are not drugs so really they do not need to be regulated that heavily.

Australia out of all the countries in the world is the only country that regards most tab form products as Therapeutics :eek:

The other side of the argument is............

Will people now rely on wholesome food rather than be at the mercy of unscrupulous supplement companies?

We seemed to have a lot less obese people before supplements existed, as well as diabetics.

While clearly supplements are not the cause, they are not the cure either.

We need to better educate people. Most still think protein only comes in a tub and energy in a can.

Supplements are not the issue, media, our school system and politicians are the problem.

Start a petition against them, I'll sign on.

So, hypothetically speaking, if all supplements disappeared off the planet, would be worse off?

I'm just presenting another view, thats all

So, hypothetically speaking, if all supplements disappeared off the planet, would be worse off?

...But I like Anabolster Mass Xtreme'o'plex 3k.

I'd have to make my own using real milk...and like...peanut butter and cocoa and OTHER food sources! Blasphemy.

Brb, eating steak and veg in a hissy fit.

The other side of the argument is............

Will people now rely on wholesome food rather than be at the mercy of unscrupulous supplement companies?

We seemed to have a lot less obese people before supplements existed, as well as diabetics.

While clearly supplements are not the cause, they are not the cure either.

We need to better educate people. Most still think protein only comes in a tub and energy in a can.

Supplements are not the issue, media, our school system and politicians are the problem.

Start a petition against them, I'll sign on.

I'm just presenting another view, thats all

I agree, but would the food be grown in virgin soil.. Organic not genetically modified and transported, kept instigate in moths at a time sprayed with chemicals?

Will we not be exposed to the toxins we are todAy? The constant stress..

If these problems are rectified I'll burn all the supplements in the world with you markos.

Youare right cures do not come in pills they are lifestyle changed.. But sometimes we need a little help with something because of the above mentioned factors.

Some of us are quite healthy regardless of the purity of our soil though Christian.

I will always choose food over pills, always

As long as we have guys starting threads on here asking what the best protein is, and puzzling most when the answer is steak, I say make it real hard for supplements to hit out shelves.

Lets take scaremongering away and actually educate the masses, teach them that wholesome food and progressive resistance exercises are what we need, not Hydroxycut

Its not lucky, its the majority. Its normal

The sick ones are the minority, and they are unlucky. Thats not normal.

Show me where you can get 4g a day of resveratrol through diet and I will retract and agree..

Sadly I don't have his genes..

Anyway I agree food first but Somethings are needed.. Otherwise I'm out of a job :p

I agree with the big guy on this, I am very anti government.

I think the solution lays in

Educate EVERYBODY, let them make their own choices.

We are teaching zero life skills at school, but everyone is up to date with the Boston Tea Party, Igneous rocks, math that 99% of the population will never use

The level of smarts the average guy has in the street in regards to nutrition is horrendous, and some of them run multi million dollar corporations.

I agree with the big guy on this, I am very anti government.

I think the solution lays in

Educate EVERYBODY, let them make their own choices.

We are teaching zero life skills at school, but everyone is up to date with the Boston Tea Party, Igneous rocks, math that 99% of the population will never use

The level of smarts the average guy has in the street in regards to nutrition is horrendous, and some of them run multi million dollar corporations.

All the more reason to believe..

1. the government doesnt care
2. they pretend to care
3. they want us all to die young
4. they want us all to be stupid and not question anything they do
5. they bull shit you buy having 500 billion different sections and regulations to follow to get somehting done so that it will get lost in red tape and never happen also allows the blame game.
6. they want low testosterone weak population who is retarded and follows orders and doesnt think for them selves.

There is alot of evidence that alot of what we do and are taught is wrong yet we keep getting taught that. We are brainwashed form a young age in media books school the Dr will fix any problem we have. So as a society we can fuck up do whatever we want and if somethinghappens we see the dr he saves us.

This makes it easier to keep selling medication, keep selling shitty feed and keeping us stupid...

Markos think of the government like a personal trainer at fitness first. Do you tell the client everything they need to succeed in the first leson so they can go and never come back to see you again? Or do you get them to do fit ball squats and check their muscle fibre types? and drag it out for years to make profit...

Who gives the government advice regarding health? People who do reserach, who does the research? organisations given grants by pharmacutical companies to find new drugs... Naturally no one wants us to be the best we can.

But if you control infomation you control power... 1 reason why i dont read the news or watch tv. Its another form of someone putting accross a specific view for their personal gain. $$$

Yeah i have to admit this countries regs are shithouse. Contradict themselves all the time. And it gets me how dairy products and peanuts havn't been put on the banned list and cigarettes, kill more people than supplements, but when you can tax the fuck out of it, your death is of no concern.

Well that's how it works Money talks, tabacco companies have it while Bodybuilding supps really do not have much backing interms of money or representation in parliament that's why Pharmaceutical companies will always take advantage of that, Always remember that the TGA are and always will be controlled by the Drug companies that do not give a shit about supps.
they never have.

But this is what really concerns me they are heavily regulating an industry where no has died from taking supps ??? :confused:

Who are they really protecting here ???