• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Text books

I just sent out my newsletter titled EXPERTS.

An EXPERT is not going to school. Andy speaks from a good place.

PPP is very successful. I'll have to wait to see how many continuous cycles it is successful for.

I'm against periodization. The gym is for lifting. Just my opinion.

Oh God no. You have never proclaimed to be an expert, you rely on personal anecdotes and pass that information on.

Because your young and outspoken, people miss what brilliant progress you've actually made.

I wish I was making your lifts at your age. Plus your working to get through school, chasing skirt and getting strong.

Your work ethic is lower than others, but that is more due to your activities outside the gym. Max has it so much easier, he works in the gym, hardly studies, Nina makes his meals. If you cant flourish in those conditions, give up.

your approach, focusing on the main lifts, is clearly working for you. As you get older, things will change, trust me, your opinions will change.

For now, continue to speak about personal results and you'll do well, even though your going to get some people offside sometime.

You are against typical western periodisation? As by looking at some of the guys PPP logs you have a higher volume lower intensity work building to lower volume higher intensity work. That to me is a form of periodisation.
Posted via Mobile Device

We do not alter anything during the 11 week cycle. Our contest prep increases in intensity, there is no wave, its all going up.

At the end of your cycle, you start another, and it climbs for the whole 11 weeks.

If you mean the break between cycles has the intensity lower, well thats obvious, it cant be a 10 year cycle, we need a start point.

If you feel you need a drop in intensity every 4-6 weeks, pick another sport. All we do is we adjust the exercises, not lower the effort. Your in the gym to get strong, if thats not your goal, get out of the gym.

I've not seen a benefit from lowering effort, all I see is a lifter coming back weaker. Instead of 2 steps forward 1 step back, I prefer 3 steps forward.

These are just my observations. Smarter guys do it differently, I'm not saying I'm right.

If a guy is struggling on the bench, I dont let him have a break, we simply switch to the MP, deadlifting gets hard, do SLDL, and so on. Heavy singles arent working in the squat, time for 20 reppers.

From my experience, the guys that need breaks follow the worst nutrition and are mentally weak.

again, my observations.

Thanks to Ben for this as I stole it out of his log, minus swear words on week 11 :D

Wk1
40kg x 5
72.5kg x 5
70kg x 5
67.5kg x 5
65kg x 5
65kg x 5
Total weight = 1900

Wk3
50kg x 5
70kg x 1
77.5kg x 5
72.5kg x 5
70kg x 5
70kg x 5
Total weight = 1770

Wk5
50 x 5
72.5 x 2
82.5 x 3
77.5 x 5
72.5 x 5
72.5 x 5
Total weight = 1755

Wk6
50 x 5
72.5 x 1
85 x 3
80 x 3
75 x 5
Total weight = 1192.5

Wk 7
50 x 5
75 x 1
80 x 1
87.5 x 1
87.5 x 1
85 x 2
75 x 3
Total weight = 975

Wk9
50 x 5
75 x 1
85 x 1
92.5 x 1
95 x 1
80 x 5
80 x 5
Total weight = 1397.5

Wk11
50 x 5
75 x 1
87.5 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
100 x 1
85 x 2
Total weight = 877.5

Though I have used mostly every second week for this as you look through it you have had Ben progress through a higher volume (1700-1900kg) for the first 5 weeks and then have progressed into greater intensity for his lifts with less volume for the final weeks (~900kg area). Would you not call this higher volume to lower volume? If you are doing this with each cycle then you would be having him lift with higher volume lower intensity to lower volume higher intensity each cycle then back to higher volume lower intensity to lower volume higher intensity for the next cycle.

So basically you are altering volume and intensity during each cycle and therefore periodising your program. No it is not a typical hypertrophy, strength, power periodise plan (which I think is a shit method to use myself) but it is still a more rudimentary form of periodisation that is not overcomplicating things and taking it too far.

Your looking into it too much. This is how I came up with the program.

The weight goes up every single week, and the reps drop. Basic, its been done this way forever.

I didnt take volume or anything else into account, weight up, rep drop.

Week 1 we start with 5's, week 11 were doing singles.

Periodization has weight reduction every 3-6 weeks, thats wrong to me.

Each and every week we lift more weight, for nearly 3 months, there is no back off at all. Every contest peaking cycle reduces the reps, as we only need to do singles on the day. That's a given.

Wendler uses some sort of wave - 5-3-1-rest-5-3-1-rest or something like that.

So obviously, his weights go up AND down according to the reps. Thats periodization. We only go up with the weight and down with the reps for the full term.

Here is a reason I dont rate volume as highly as others.

Nick does 200 x 1, 200 x 1, 200 x 1, 200 x 1, 200 x 1. Thats 1,000kg

Next week he does 100 x 10, 100 x 10, 100 x 10, 100 x 10, 100 x 10. Thats 10,000kg

Which one is going to get him to 220kg quicker?

Option one tests his physical strength and his mental strength, its only a 10th of the workload, but he'll leave the gym shaking.

Option two will bore him shitless, render him weaker, yet he has done 10 times the workload.

its not always a numbers game Dave.

Again, I'm not saying my way is right, but I've been getting good results.

Annie cant train at PTC anymore, but she's doing PPP at a Spa. She texts me most days. Last night she pause benched 67.5kg. She has the National record at 63.5kg which she set at the Vics. This seems to work for everyone, regardless where they train.

Periodization has weight reduction every 3-6 weeks, thats wrong to me.

Again, I'm not saying my way is right, but I've been getting good results.

Have you used deloads in your trainee's programs before Markos? What is your experience with them?

I just finished a 34 month deload, its over rated. I came back weaker.

No, we just keep lifting more weight.

I believe most battles with weight are lost above the shoulders.

I hate spotters when I train, I dont use them. I have no plan B.

I never let my clients lift like that, its dangerous.

Deloads give you an excuse to be weak, to rest up. I did everything I could to be stronger in the gym, mentally and physically. Deloads and periodization go against the grain with me.

Remember, there is no best strength program. If there was, every single strength athlete would be doing the same program, whether its Wendlers, Sheiko, Starr, Westside. But there isnt a best one. PPP is working for lifters right now. It may not work for 4 continuous cycles. I may have to revisit and a have a weakness section in there, but for now, we'll just concentrate on lifting more weight each week for 11 weeks, then start again.

Wow, you didn't feel more refreshed? I am a bit stumped as to why.

Remember, there is no best strength program. If there was, every single strength athlete would be doing the same program, whether its Wendlers, Sheiko, Starr, Westside. But there isnt a best one. PPP is working for lifters right now. It may not work for 4 continuous cycles. I may have to revisit and a have a weakness section in there, but for now, we'll just concentrate on lifting more weight each week for 11 weeks, then start again.

Personally I think the best program is the one that you are consistent with and that can adapt to your needs (I do not really call this a program, more like training). One reason why I believe people either need a coach of need to learn how to train themselves. Listen to your body, assess your methods, assess your strengths and weaknesses etc etc.

No, we just keep lifting more weight.

I believe most battles with weight are lost above the shoulders.

I hate spotters when I train, I dont use them. I have no plan B.

I never let my clients lift like that, its dangerous.

Deloads give you an excuse to be weak, to rest up. I did everything I could to be stronger in the gym, mentally and physically. Deloads and periodization go against the grain with me.

Bewudifal, music to my ears, this stuff inspires me.
Posted via Mobile Device

cheers for the compliment back there.

Read the thing about deloads - wendler works in a much higher % than your lifters (85-95, and a set is taken to failure each week). Westsides kind of like that too so I guess the deload is warrented.

I love periodisation, I dont think anyone would argue with me when I say theres a lot of success stories from it. I used to beat myself up with 5x5 every week. I changed to 5/3/1 and by the third week those weights that used to fry me felt like nothing.

As for programs I agree. Was on bb.com the other day and was reading about how Tuchscherer has some new system which is apparently 'the best'.

What I do is I take a template I like and use it as a model and fiddle with it to make it something that i can handle and will fix up any weaknesses I have. The only time i dont like tampering with programs is for beginners who dont know any better.

I can say what I want about my training ideas, without results it means nothing.

Thats why I took 16 lifters to the Vics and we got all those records.

we are not expecting another 50 National records at the Nats, even one will make me happy.

With raw lifting in Oz being fresh, I know its easy to get records. It will be harder at the Nats, much harder.

Its the World Records we break that will make me happy. Then onwards to the Worlds to see how we fair.

Oliver, you must have a VERY different version of Jim Wendlers 5-3-1 program to me lol

I had to go back and read his book again before I commented.

Week 1 - he does 1 set at 85%
Week 2 - he does 1 set over 85% (90%)
Week 3 - he does 2 sets above 85%
Week 4 - he doesnt go higher than 60%

He then starts again, next phase he actually does 1 extra set over 85% (adds 6 sets per 12 week cycle)

PPP For the first 3 weeks, we build from 80% to 82.5%

Week 4 - we do 1 set above 85%
Week 5 - We do 2 sets above 85%
Week 6 - we do 3 set above 85%
Week 7 - we do 4 sets above 85%
Week 8 - we do 5 sets above 85%
Week 9 - we do 5 sets above 85%
Week 10 - we do 5 sets above 85%
Week 11 - we do 3 sets above 85%

Pretty sure we do much, much more work in the 85% and higher bracket.

Now, I have a client who is very strong. He's the one who bought the Wendler program. He gave it a shot. That max rep out to failure set, he was approaching 20 reps and over using Jim's %. We train MUCH harder than those %. We do many more work sets. We cant rely on steroids or a new bench shirt to get our lifts up, we actually need to train very hard.

Its not just me saying so, check the numbers. I have Wendlers and PPP both open, I took the numbers directly from both programs.

In a 12 week Wendler cycle, you do 18 work sets over 85%

On PPP, you do 28 work sets over 85% in 11 weeks.

Lets deal in facts Oliver.

Last edited:
Wendler's program involves failure training. Notice how the RMs in my sig arn't 1RMs? thats because I'd keep going until I could no longer perform reps.

Also note that wendler's program goes over 95% every four weeks. Its week 9 before your lifters perform a 95%.

Also if 5/3/1 gets you the same place with less volume who cares? you get great results on your program, I'll probably get great results on your program, but turn to the back of 5/3/1 and there are results equal to yours.

I bet you $10 I can get to 600/400/600 using 5/3/1 only up until I finish uni. Its a solid program.

Clean.

Uni ends in 2013. That sounds conservative but the exam periods are pretty intense and I'm expected to load units and do practical hours in the final year.

The plan is to blast 5/3/1 during the down times (so I'll get roughly 6 cycles a year) and just try to maintain throughout the semester.

The deadlift will go fine, only concern is the squat once it reaches around 250 and the bench press.