• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Subway Bacon and Egg $5 Foot Long Sub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's cheaper katie. But it's healthier I agree.

Tim, I guess that is your preconceived notion and fair enough. I honestly don't think it's cheaper though. Now I'm not 100% I'm not familiar with what's in a bacon and egg sub as I rarely eat it. But:

well 12 eggs (800g) costs me $2.60 at local Asian grocer

Pick up 12 rashers of bacon at the local butcher for a few dollars

Buy 12 bread rolls from supermarket, $1 each

So I have spent less than $20 of ingredients and have enough to make the basic part of 12 bacon + egg subs. I assume there's salad, mayo in it but that's pretty cheap too.

I reckon you'd be surprised at how cheap it is to eat at home.

Edit: Now I did say I'm not familiar with the bacon and egg sub, so maybe you need 24 rashers of bacon, whatever. The general point I'm trying to make is I'm still using < $60 worth of ingredients though...

Last edited:
It's always cheaper to cook your own food than have someone else do it for you.

But I've been a chef, so Tim would say I know nothing about that :p

I think it is also important as you are able to control the quality of ingredients.

Damn I said I wasn't going to post in here again.

OK guys, let's be nice here and think this through.

Tim, no offence, but you have really set ideas that are hard to budge (eg. the notion that people are mocking you or it's cheaper to eat out).

For the 2nd time (and I have better things I could do with my time), I have read every single one of the posts in this thread, and I'm asking you (again) to show me where Kyle has admitted to mocking you. I couldn't find anything, but that's cos I'm used to his tone, and I couldn't really see anything to provoke this either:
My replies have been to Kyle Arnold just because he is such a douche.
(which wasn't very nice, by the way, but that's just my opinion so perhaps it doesn't count for much)

It's OK to have differing opinions, of course, but they're easier to accept if we see the evidence to support your views - and so far I'm not really getting that, just statements like "I don't think it's cheaper katie." Which makes me a teensy bit frustrated. Do you see where I am coming from?

Anyway good luck to you, and remember
- to give people the benefit of the doubt;
- ironic tone of voices or humour sometimes comes across badly in the written word.

I'm going to move along now...

Last edited:
This was a long, detailed, thoughtful post, my first response to him.

He replied,

"I have 2 mates who have awesome bodies and they live on kfc. Both are lean and very muscular.

"Also lee priest seems to be going alright considering he is famous for his love of kfc =)"

I said,

"I didn't say the fat was bad-evil-oh-my-god-Tim's-gunna-die. I said there was not much actual nutrition with your Subway and KFC. And that's true whether you're a guy who gets a blubber belly easily or not."

He replied,

"Are you saying that if I have 3 cups of veggies a day, 3 pieces of fruit, wheat grass, pro biotics, I am going to be unhealthy because I have a couple pieces of fried chicken?"

So I have twice explained things politely and patiently, and others have joined in agreeing that you are better off without fast food. But he's still disagreeing, claiming that he can "live on KFC", have some wheatgrass and probiotics and be healthy, lean and muscular as a result, and end up looking like Lee Priest.

Thus I came to mock him: "Chomp away! Remember your five basic food groups: Subway, KFC, McDs, beer and chocolate. Have some of each every day!"

And it was well-deserved. Anyone else who pops up saying that they can live on KFC and end up looking like Lee Priest will be mocked, too.

You'll notice that Markos hasn't posted in this thread. That's because he is well-experienced in speaking to people about diet and finding they just won't listen, he did about a hundred newsletters on it before he gave up. People eat and drink badly, then can't get rid of their bellies and can't improve their lifts and scratch their heads and wonder why, you tell them and they say, "but my mates live on KFC and... I had this uncle who lived to 95 and... But really I eat healthy, honest..."

Prove us wrong, Tim. Live on KFC for three months and post your progress and pictures, demonstrating that you're on the road to becoming a leaner, more muscular, stronger and fitter version of yourself today. Millions of lifters living on boiled chicken, tuna and rice would be delighted to discover they could live on fast food and still get leaner, more muscular, stronger and fitter. Prove it with your amazing progress.

Why isn't there much nutrition? I normally get my chicken tereyaki sub loaded with veges, with sweet onion sauce on wheat bread.. Good shit.

Last edited:
It's all relative mate. There's only so much you can fit in a spongy bread roll compared to on a plate. Plus it sets the tone for the day, for the balance of foods you eat. Because I'm doing this PT school thing, people sometimes ask me for tips. I ask them about their diet, every last one claims to be eating lots of fresh fruit and vegies. So I ask them to do a food diary for a week, we look it over, and it turns out... not so much after all.

Guy the other day at PT school had a big tub of leucine. We asked him why he had it, he explained the need for anabolic balance. Later he asked us why people liked oats, we mentioned fibre, he said, "what's that?" So the guy is worried about his amino acid balance but doesn't even know about fibre. This is the kind of person who reckons they eat "lots of fresh fruit and vegies, I get plenty."

Last edited:
Oh, I don't have it for breakfast LOL.

6 Wheatbix, half a litre of milk and whey does it for me. Plus the fish oil tabs and vitamins.

"And it was well-deserved. Anyone else who pops up saying that they can live on KFC and end up looking like Lee Priest will be mocked, too."

Yep I said I've eaten a couple pieces of KFC. Which obviously means that it is what I live off of. And I said Lee Priest eats KFC which obviously means that I expect to look like Lee Priest by eating KFC.

You win at logic...

Oh and I will post my progress. You post yours as well. I'm on 77kg today. What are you on? In 3 months we'll compare the gains.

Cheers.

timmo said:
You win at logic...
I win at quoting people. I can't be blamed for what you write, you get to write whatever you want ;)
timmo said:
Oh and I will post my progress. You post yours as well. I'm on 77kg today. What are you on? In 3 months we'll compare the gains.
I have no doubt that if you eat lots of KFC you can end up weighing more than me :p

That's why it goes beyond simple weight. We have to consider body girth measurements, lifts achieved, fitness level and so on.

My stats are there in my gym journal thread for all to see. This is after 3.5 months of general physical preparation, and 4 months of more or less proper weight training.

178cm tall
77.6kg - down from 83.6kg
15% bodyfat - down from 26%
107cm chest - up from 100cm
83cm waist - down from 97cm

Chins 4x 12
Bench 6x 80kg
Press 3x 50kg
BB row 6x 80kg
Squat 5x 60kg (needs work, obviously)
Deadlift n/a

I hope you can better them! If you just do squats from the beginning then you ought to manage it without trouble.

You have your newbie gains ahead of you, apart from legs mine are behind me now. So you'll make more dramatic progress than I can. When you're just starting, doubling your bench press is no big deal, you can do it quicker than I could increase my bench by 10-20%. And I even have a spinal deformity to handicap me, that should make the competition even easier for you.

This time around, don't worry about eating 1kg of steak a day, or taking roids. Just eat well, lift heavy, and rest well.

Good luck!

"And it was well-deserved. Anyone else who pops up saying that they can live on KFC and end up looking like Lee Priest will be mocked, too."

Yep I said I've eaten a couple pieces of KFC. Which obviously means that it is what I live off of. And I said Lee Priest eats KFC which obviously means that I expect to look like Lee Priest by eating KFC.

You win at logic...

Cheers.
Look, please do not compare yourself or your mates to Lee Priest.
1. He is is a freak
2. There are reasons why he can get lean or stay lean that go beyond fast metabolisms. :cool:
3. he is a Pro and it's his livelihood to stay in shape for guests appearances and poses.

Just eat and be merry.

I love kfc and subway.

Foot long italian herbs and cheese, old english cheese, diced chicken, all vegies except onions, extra pickles extra olives, salt and pepper, south west sauce.

IF not that hungry, I get either a 6" or a footlong without the chicken.

I've also got a girl friend who studies micro biology and they taught her at uni that probiotic drinks are good for you. I've also met many people that are extremely healthy and read many article about the benefits of wheatgrass.
You know that 99% of supplements on the market do absolutely nothing that they claim... And they are all backed up by 'Studies' too...

Everything in moderation, that's my motto.

Newbie gains? I've been lifting for a year...

I'm quite happy just comparing current weight with future weight and throwing in a couple pictures so that we can see bf% etc...

We are both at 77kg right now. We'll see how we are in 3 months.

So that's at the end of November. Did you want to take pictures before and after to put up. We can start a thread with the before's and in 3 months post the afters.

You said
timmo said:
Okay so I've been lazy. I haven't trained in months, I haven't eaten right in months. And I've gone from 82kg of lean muscle down to 76kg. Pretty shit, but hey I'm back in the game now and I'm gonna get back up there again. I've joined the gym again, and I'm starting to eat right.

[...] I couldn't afford enough food for a while, plus exams, plus no gym member ship and just trying to work out at home didn't work for me.

But that started it, laziness continued the break for another 2 months.
So with the time off, the poor diet, lack of lifting and loss of muscle mass, you're back where you started. Your current lifts will be pretty ordinary, but are going to improve very quickly, and if your diet and training are any good at all, your lean mass gain will be significant.

It's possible to be a newbie more than once in your life. I was a newbie once in my 20s, and have been a newbie again this year. Basically, going from being sedentary and untrained to being trained is a huge shock to the body and you get dramatic changes; these typically slow down after the first 3 to 9 months.

Anyway, all my stats are out there published already. So people can judge my progress. I'm only interested in open competition. Put your full stats up in a gym journal thread and then we can see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.