• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

STFU i want guns...

Christian

Active Member, June10MOTM
Ok nothing is working my arms dont seem to respond..

I think i need more celltech? Possibly was looking at nitrotech with a banana blended in?

But honestly...

Looking for program advice on arms and forearms..

What are you doing now?

Most ppl will say guns dont need direct work to grow and squats and deadlift give you biceps - yea that is partly true if your arms respond to that sort of training...but most ppl need to do direct arm work - honestly I would be training triceps 2-3 times a week and training biceps 1-2 times a week with 1-3 exercises for triceps and 2-4 exercises for biceps.

My triceps work looks something like so:

Heavy close grip 5 x 5-10
skullcrushers 4-5 x 5-10
db overhead 4-5 x 5-10
pressdowns 5 x 25

Biceps:
heavy straight bar 3-4 x 5-10
hammer curl 3-4 x 5-10
alt db curl or ez bar curl 3-4 x 5-10
then something lighter for 1-2 x 25-50

Alot of the time I will do 100 pressdowns at the end of every workout - thats 3-4 sessions a week.

Ive started throwing in some curls on top of my 5/3/1 upper body stuff and noticed the guns are looking better already

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NzFK7RkQI&playnext=1&list=PLD042C6C763C91433]YouTube - gain 1 inch in your arms in just 24 hour's[/ame]

I dont have much fat in my arms its all abdominal..

And its the size.. If i can get them the size of my calves i will be happy.

Volume, frequency and direct work are what makes big arms.

2 - 3 times a week, all angles, low / moderate / high rep work.

There's never been a BB win a show that relied on deads and chins - so train like a winner.

Reducing bodyfat will reveal vascularity and striations to give the illusion of big guns.

Totally agree with this. The one and only time I've done a cut, really to only see how lean I could get, people wanted to know what I'd been doing to get my arms bigger. They would have definitely been smaller if I had measured them.

Only arm work in that time was chins and the odd set of curls maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks.

As And the Ugly said, frequency is key IMO, with biceps being such a small muscle i honestly dont believe that you need to dedicate 3-5 exercises on them alone to get them to grow. How many lifters actually throw in some bicep work at the end of EVERY session? I never used to but i have since doing the PTC beginner program and within a few months the biceps have come along nicely. I only alternate between BB curls and dumbell hammer from session to session just to mix things up but only ever the one exercise and i still get fairly tender biceps the next day, IMO no need t waste half an hour of precious compound lifting time to do a crapload of bicep work, remember you only have to stimulate the muscle nothing more, doing BB curls, DB curls, hammer curls and Alt curls etc. in one session is like doing squats, leg press, leg curls etc. all in one session when we all know that the squats done properly is more than enough for the average lifter.

What are you doing now?

Most ppl will say guns dont need direct work to grow and squats and deadlift give you biceps - yea that is partly true if your arms respond to that sort of training...but most ppl need to do direct arm work - honestly I would be training triceps 2-3 times a week and training biceps 1-2 times a week with 1-3 exercises for triceps and 2-4 exercises for biceps.

My triceps work looks something like so:

Heavy close grip 5 x 5-10
skullcrushers 4-5 x 5-10
db overhead 4-5 x 5-10
pressdowns 5 x 25

Biceps:
heavy straight bar 3-4 x 5-10
hammer curl 3-4 x 5-10
alt db curl or ez bar curl 3-4 x 5-10
then something lighter for 1-2 x 25-50

Alot of the time I will do 100 pressdowns at the end of every workout - thats 3-4 sessions a week.

The secret that Joel is leaving out is that he does all his gun work shirtless and lathered in baby oil. It's all about looking good after all.

I got most of my arm mass from bench/dips/cg bench
The rest came from some variation of rows/chins

The above would probably be frequent in your training program, provided that you are going heavy enough then you should see progress.

Vary it as well, do band dips, weighted dips. All different grips of chins/pull ups.
Barbell row, one arm row etc.