• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squat form , heel or toe ?

You want the load across your entire foot with a large emphasis on your heel/outter sole.

Two things of most importance that really only need to know.

1. Just make sure your heels stay in contact with the floor, in other words, don't allow you heel to elevate throughout the movement, heel elevating indicates weight is shifting, leading to complications.

2. Throughout the movement you should be able to wiggle the toes.

These two points indicate that weight doesn't shift from back to front and remains mid foot.

Ok?

got about 1/3 through the article and though, wow someone has really over thought this, my mind cant even follow to make any sense of it hahaha

have you ever tipped forwards and had the weight go onto your toes? causes your calves to activate, and for me personally that causes pain after the set, and so i push through my heels

the body is going to keep the weight over where it feels most confortable, you will find that the bar stays in line with the center of your foot anyway, and you would sub conciously be pushing with the ball of your foot to stay balanced so?

the only time ive ever heard someone say to push with the weight on your toes is at the very start of the deadlift to gain speed o the gound, but the transition o weight back to the heel needs to be instant or it makes it harder because the weight ends up stayin on your toes

Ok got it goosey , good advise thanks mate , and callan yeh I have tipped forward before on a bad lift , doesnt feel to good for te back at all lol .

Any thoughts on squating with elevated heels such as on planks to keep from transferring the weight too far forward?

Any thoughts on squating with elevated heels such as on planks to keep from transferring the weight too far forward?

raising the heel makes the weight want to go to your toes lol
it also causes your knees to shoot forwards

lol reminds me of the guy that was like "you run on the balls of your feet so you should squat on the balls of your feet"

I never camed harder in my life

raising the heel makes the weight want to go to your toes lol
it also causes your knees to shoot forwards

I disagree...

I still drive thru heels. Also find it activates my quads more and keeps my centre of gravity of the total weight more central relative to my own body...

I disagree...

I still drive thru heels. Also find it activates my quads more and keeps my centre of gravity of the total weight more central relative to my own body...

have you ever walked down hill and noticed all your weight seems to push to the ball of your foot when you put your foot down? think of it like that.

your quads activate because your knees come forwards more, so you get less hamstring in the lift

There is a reason why the best raw squatters wear flat shoes
inb4 someone uses olympic lifters as an example, think about it

Not sure walking down a hill and standing stationary with a weighted bar on your back squating below parallel to a floor of 0 deg slope are the same...

.... am i missing something here?

your asking about raising your heel in the squat. what does that do? puts an angle on your foot, as if you are standing on a slope...

being stationary on a slope has the same effect as walking, as in your weight wants to shift to the ball of your foot.

if your not an olympic lifter, squat flat footed.

Not asking what it does or is it right. Simply what your thoughts where.

For my length of hamstring and torso i find no pain in either knee or lower back pain squats this way... further more my quads AND glutes activate more this way whilst my knees dont travel excessively forward. Note the weight is predominately driven thru my heels

However, doing front squats i find it completely opposite. I front squat with flat foot due to the change in the position of the weight relative to my body. For me front squating with my heels elevated causes the weight to natually want to shift to the front of my foot yet it doesnt when flat foot. With flat foot front squats i an able to keep my torso vertical, drive thru my heels and keep my knees at a safe angle...

Not asking what it does or is it right. Simply what your thoughts where.

For my length of hamstring and torso i find no pain in either knee or lower back pain squats this way... further more my quads AND glutes activate more this way whilst my knees dont travel excessively forward. Note the weight is predominately driven thru my heels
and my thoughts are that squatting flat is better, you get more hamstring in the lift, allowing you to lift more weight, you can sit back more as your knees have less of a tendency to shoot forwards when flat as the primary weight isnt being transferred to the ball of your foot because of the raised heel. allowing you to get better stretch reflex off the hamstrings because you can sit back more.

If the weight is shifting to the front of your foot then you have shitty ankle mobility

This is true... ive had problems with my ankles since my rugby days... i do strengthening moves but never get any love...