• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squat depth

In that fed yes they pass..so in that regard are legal in the judges eyes - Iam not saying its wrong or right ...but at the end of the day these guys have 1000lb squats in a comp and noone can take that away from them.

Yes it can be taken from them, if nobody takes their squat seriously, or didn't you read that PW thread?

If the only people acknowledging your squat are your pals in your own mickey mouse fed, then it's pretty sad & meaningless, don't you think?

Can you think of any other sport where such blatant lack of professionalism is remotely accepted?

I hereby found Kyle's Powerlifting Organisation. In this, I am the judge.

I just went to the garage and touched 1,000lbs of weights. Since I'm the judge, I count just touching the weights as lifting them. I now have a 1,000lb squat in a comp.

No-one can take that away from me.

Or maybe, just maybe, the reason no-one can take it from me is that there's nothing to take. Maybe I'm just bullshitting myself. Now, those guys at least had the weight on their backs and moved it, so they're not bullshitting themselves as much as I would be. But it's still bullshit.

You want to build up the sport, bullshit does not make for solid foundations.

Mate have a look at how many diff feds there are in the world and then come back and tell me that they will all be on level ground in the way they judge.

If you think its bullshit then thats fine I dont mind mate - but dont knock someone who is alot more advanced than you just because he may squat a inch or 2 high.

Once again you compete to win and you lift to the conditions that are in front of you - if that means squatting atg then you do so if it means touch and go bench then you do so....understand that alot of feds have alot of diff ways of going about things....if you love HUGE squats and multi ply gear then maybe the feds in these vids are for you, if you love atg, raw lifting then proraw is for you...at the end of the day its the fed and what that offers the lifter which in turn will determine how the lifter trains.

PowerSports, the problem here is that those lifters and judges are breaking the rules of their own fed.

Yes it can be taken from them, if nobody takes their squat seriously, or didn't you read that PW thread?

If the only people acknowledging your squat are your pals in your own mickey mouse fed, then it's pretty sad & meaningless, don't you think?

Can you think of any other sport where such blatant lack of professionalism is remotely accepted?

Powerlifting isnt a professional sport so you will always get crazy feds or random judging with no real level ground in which the sport is judged.

It will always just be a hobby sport ...simple as that...so yea there will always be a lack of professionalism.

cb64f125-2471-6934.jpg

cb64f125-2485-fee9.jpg

The only true measure of depth in the squat is to actually measure the distance between the axis of the hip and the axis of the knee, using the eye is pointless, speculative and difficult considering the different muscular structures, a person with short stocky legs appears to have minimal movement.

At the end of the day it like PS writes, whatever you like to watch, their in the business of making money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some judges have been strict, some slack....Contests between Soviet Union nations and those of the west could be brutal.

It would be fairly simple to set up a white sticker on a particular bony mount in the knee and hip, set up a camera with an ovelaid level line and get a computer algorithm to determine when it was technically horizontal. But that would be like using a camera/computer to judge in or out in Tennis - just silly.

It would be fairly simple to set up a white sticker on a particular bony mount in the knee and hip, set up a camera with an ovelaid level line and get a computer algorithm to determine when it was technically horizontal. But that would be like using a camera/computer to judge in or out in Tennis - just silly.

Correct

Do i have the perfect squat? Nope. Do i care? Maybe a little, legs are growing.

Seeing as probably at a guess 80% of people in my gym don't do legs at all I don't see it such a bad thing LOL Ahh love leg day, all the equipment free to myself muwhahahaaa

Seeing Joel is out, we can now discuss this rationally.

This vid is of Chad Smith, he too lifts in the SPF

He makes a 392kg squat with legal depth, Wilkinson must be pissed that this guy has the audacity to perform legal squats in "his" fed, making him look bad.

We shouldnt judge equipped v raw, ATG v Nose bleed, just use the rule book, thats why I thought it written in the first place.

Anyone that blatantly disregards the rule book has no place in our sport

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/18279

Mate have a look at how many diff feds there are in the world and then come back and tell me that they will all be on level ground in the way they judge.

USA does not equal the world.

There are many different feds in the US, some of which claim to be international but really only have lifters from 2 or 3 other countries participate.

There are only 3 real worldwide federations: IPF (103 countries), WPC and its subsidiaries WPO & AWPC) (40 countries), and WDFPF (23 countries).

I'm going to try to keep these as apolitical as possibility, as I'm obviously biased to the IPF, but for all the cries about the degradation of the sport, it's actually not the case worldwide - it's a very US-centric view of things. It's no surprise people would get the idea powerlifting is in ruins if they only read powerliftingwatch. But guess what, powerlifting is actually a popular sport outside of the US, and in most parts of the world it's in safe hands.

IMO it's largely the smaller and newer american offshoots that do the most damage to the sports credibilities. As Markos rightly points out it's the ones that are out there to claim bragging rights for records etc that are the worst. The US is a very very competitive market for powerlifting and there is a real incentive for the splinter federations to try and differentiate themselves from the others.

Nothing like a good Internet argument to lighten the day. I'm gonna throw my 2c in.

I'm a powerlifter. It's why I train. Not to look good or be healthly, I want to be strong in competition. If I can get away with squatting a bit higher then legal depth because of the judging I will. In the end it's a subjective sport. Unless you bring in computer based judging we can't get rid of the subjectiveness.

I have a huge amount of respect for Markos and ProRaw for trying to bring about some decent squats and I know from personal experience that squatting high will get you red lighted. I have little to no respect for most of the US feds that are white lighting high squats on a regular basis but I do have respect for the lifters. They are strong there is no argument there and they are the ones that are squatting to the judges interpretation of the rules. If they let you squat high then why not?

People bend the rules in every sport. Punching is a straight red card in rugby. I broke my hand on the side of some dudes head. Didn't get punished for it (except for the broken hand part). If you can get away with it then go for it. If you get caught then so be it. It's a fact that powerlifting is an underground sport and may well stay that way until we get some unity but until then this argument will always exist.

For all you haters here is a video of Dave Hoff squatting 1010-1085-1115 all of them ATG.
[YOUTUBE]A55Px9Raqf4[/YOUTUBE]

Call it a crazy notion, but couldn't the bench press be cleaned up of all the arch and leg drive bullshit if lifters simply had their legs straight out in front of them, leaving only the upperbody to do the pressing?

I don't consider Hoff's lift close to parallel let alone ATG. Meanwhile, to compare, this is what is considered a failed attempt at 1012lb in the IPF (ignoring the fact he sniffed ammonia in public view which should be automatic red lights):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FgbYBxNKo"]YouTube - 460kg - BigArnie's Attempt at the IPF SHW Squat Record[/ame]