• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squat depth

Here's Eduardo Guadamud, an Olympic weightlifter working out. Please fast forward to 7:10 if you're just interested in watching the back squats.

Fadi.

That is an awesome training video. He's an insanely explosive lifter! Some mad lifts in there, and look easy in training too. I'm pretty sure that backsquat is a double at 320kg. :eek:

lol what? - they are squatting to the rules that are in front of them...you go by the rules that are infront of you and thats the end of the story...nothing to do with integrity at all....

No they're not, that why there is so much comment Joel

If they were squatting to the rules, these threads would not exist

Have you read pw?

That is an awesome training video. He's an insanely explosive lifter! Some mad lifts in there, and look easy in training too. I'm pretty sure that backsquat is a double at 320kg. :eek:

Here's the vid seperately stating it's a 310kg x2 lift. The black must be a 25kg in that case (but is always a red disk in competitions). He sure does have very strong legs for a weightlifter.

[YOUTUBE]cUHpuMcje84[/YOUTUBE]

Fadi.

heres a nice deep squat, and equipped.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0lF4lm3efA&feature=related]YouTube - Kirk Karwowski - 1003 pound squat[/ame]

Squat
1. After removing the bar from the racks while facing the front of the platform, the
lifter may move forward or backward to establish the lifting position. The top of the
bar not more than 3cm below the top of the anterior deltoids. The bar shall be held
horizontally across the shoulders with the hands and/or fingers gripping the bar, and
the feet flat upon the platform with the knees locked (see Diagram 1).

2. The lifter shall wait in this position for the head referee’s signal. The signal will be
given as soon as the lifter is set and demonstrates control with the bar properly
positioned. The head referee’s signal shall consist of a downward movement of the
arm and audible command “Squat”.

3. Upon receiving the head referee’s signal, the lifter must bend the knees and lower the body until the top surface of the legs at the hip joint are lower than the top of knees. (See Diagrams 1, 2, 3 and 4).

Check out Chucks squat. He should NEVER have even got the down command. The head judge fucked up, in fact, I'm not even sure there was a down command, he simply descends once the hooks are gone

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T26_-Y72Rpk&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Chuck Vogelpohl 1180 lb World Record Squat[/ame]

This kind of "judging" ensures that our sport will never be anything but underground, not that that is a bad thing

While were discussing judging, opinions

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PglVGQYlYWo&feature=related]YouTube - Bench Press WORLD RECORD RYAN KENNELLY 1074 lbs[/ame]

Nice touch-and-go bench!

Hard to tell cos of the angle and cos the video is so dark, but it looks like his arms weren't locked out completely at the start or the finish.

Not really a comment per se, but I would much rather see a 500 pound full bench, raw, locked out etc.

Like with the squat, Ill watch pat mendes squat ATG raw 300kg over an equipped dude shallow squatting 450kg or whatever any day of the week.

A lot of PL seems like a lot of fat guys with beards, ass grabbing and back slapping rather than an athletic contest.

(in before "you can't squat shit" )

No they're not, that why there is so much comment Joel

If they were squatting to the rules, these threads would not exist

Have you read pw?

But the fact is that these squats pass as good lifts in these feds, the athletes know this so they squat to that depth and no more.

Athletes know that in ProRaw squat deapth judging will be tougher than say maybe capo - so they squat lower.

The way I see it is that the lifter competes to the conditions they are in and the fed they are in.

Joel, can you honestly read the rules and say that either of those squats were legal?

Can you not understand why they are being passed in the shitty Feds that are simply trying to make a name for themselves.

All I said to the lifters at ProRaw was that you had to break parallel, just as the rule book states.

I didnt reinvent the wheel.

It would have been so much easier to say

" Look fellas, were a new Fed, were going to pass everything, just stand up, the crowd will cheer, dont even look at the lights, raise your arms. No video footage to be taken from anywhere that shows a high squat. Lets set some records here today, everyone will want to join and we'll be huge once we own every single record"

Anyone that cares about the sport, regardless of what meet directors do, should do the right thing on the platform. Discussions like the ones on Powerlifting Watch is going to kill the sport off completely or create so much controversy that it will become even more of a joke

Joel, can you honestly read the rules and say that either of those squats were legal?

Can you not understand why they are being passed in the shitty Feds that are simply trying to make a name for themselves.

All I said to the lifters at ProRaw was that you had to break parallel, just as the rule book states.

I didnt reinvent the wheel.

It would have been so much easier to say

" Look fellas, were a new Fed, were going to pass everything, just stand up, the crowd will cheer, dont even look at the lights, raise your arms. No video footage to be taken from anywhere that shows a high squat. Lets set some records here today, everyone will want to join and we'll be huge once we own every single record"

Anyone that cares about the sport, regardless of what meet directors do, should do the right thing on the platform. Discussions like the ones on Powerlifting Watch is going to kill the sport off completely or create so much controversy that it will become even more of a joke

In that fed yes they pass..so in that regard are legal in the judges eyes - Iam not saying its wrong or right ...but at the end of the day these guys have 1000lb squats in a comp and noone can take that away from them.

What the judges say goes and you cant do anything about that.

If every single lifter was squatting ATG in that fed and then one dude came up with 1000lbs on his back and squated highish and it passed then yea I agree that its a problem...but if every single person in the fed is squatting pretty much to the same level then whats the problem with it?...thats how they run the fed.

If every single lifter was squatting ATG in that fed and then one dude came up with 1000lbs on his back and squated highish and it passed then yea I agree that its a problem...but if every single person in the fed is squatting pretty much to the same level then whats the problem with it?...thats how they run the fed.

Once again you make a point that I stroy agree with. If all competitors are squatting to a common level, then that's a fair competition...

Edit I also strongly agree with point 3 of the rules ' the top surface of the legs at the hip joint are lower than the top of knees'....otherwise a half or godforbid a 1!4 squat can't be done or should not be passed

Last edited:
In that fed yes they pass..so in that regard are legal in the judges eyes - Iam not saying its wrong or right ...but at the end of the day these guys have 1000lb squats in a comp and noone can take that away from them.
I hereby found Kyle's Powerlifting Organisation. In this, I am the judge.

I just went to the garage and touched 1,000lbs of weights. Since I'm the judge, I count just touching the weights as lifting them. I now have a 1,000lb squat in a comp.

No-one can take that away from me.

Or maybe, just maybe, the reason no-one can take it from me is that there's nothing to take. Maybe I'm just bullshitting myself. Now, those guys at least had the weight on their backs and moved it, so they're not bullshitting themselves as much as I would be. But it's still bullshit.

You want to build up the sport, bullshit does not make for solid foundations.

Once again you make a point that I stroy agree with. If all competitors are squatting to a common level, then that's a fair competition...

It may be a fair comp but it's not comparable to feds that enforce depth. If you're going to claim a world record the squat should pass in most major feds.

You don't see local footy leagues calling it a goal when the ball passes directly over the post just because our was almost a goal. If they did they wouldn't be taken seriously, and I don't see why records set in feds with lax judging should be taken seriously either.

It may be a fair comp but it's not comparable to feds that enforce depth. If you're going to claim a world record the squat should pass in most major feds.

You don't see local footy leagues calling it a goal when the ball passes directly over the post just because our was almost a goal. If they did they wouldn't be taken seriously, and I don't see why records set in feds with lax judging should be taken seriously either.

did you by any chance read the edit note I wrote ?