• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

So i dieted a member of PTC

<----

No carbs for 10 WEEKS??? I'll be going NUTS!!!! :eek:

I applaud anyone who can do this.. WOW! :D

Thanks

I was on my keto diet for 10 months with the first 6 months having no cheat meals and other 4 months i had 1 cheat day per week where i would eat carbs.

Once you havent had carbs for a while you stop craving them all together. The hardest part is getting past the inital couple weeks where you still want to smash a massive bowl of spag bol lol :p

The scientific explanation :D

Roles of leptin and ghrelin in the l... [J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI
Roles of leptin and ghrelin in the loss of body weight caused by a low fat, high carbohydrate diet.

Abstract
Loss of body fat by caloric restriction is accompanied by decreased circulating leptin levels, increased ghrelin levels, and increased appetite. In contrast, dietary fat restriction often decreases adiposity without increasing appetite. Substitution of dietary carbohydrate for fat has been shown to increase the area under the plasma leptin vs. time curve (AUC) over the course of 24 h. This effect, if sustained, could explain the absence of a compensatory increase in appetite on a low fat diet. To clarify the effect of dietary fat restriction on leptin and ghrelin, we measured AUC for these hormones in human subjects after each of the following sequential diets: 2 wk on a weight-maintaining 35% fat (F), 45% carbohydrate (C), 20% protein (P) diet (n = 18); 2 wk on an isocaloric 15% F, 65% C, 20% P diet (n = 18); and 12 wk on an ad libitum 15% F, 65% C, 20% P diet (n = 16). AUC for leptin was similar on the isocaloric 15% F and 35% F diets (555 +/- 57 vs. 580 +/- 56 ng/ml.24 h; P = NS). Body weight decreased from 74.6 +/- 2.4 to 70.8 +/- 2.7 kg on the ad libitum 15% F diet (P < 0.001) without compensatory increases in food consumption or AUC for ghrelin. Proportional amplitude of the 24-h leptin profile was increased after 12 wk on the 15% fat diet. We conclude that weight loss early in the course of dietary fat restriction occurs independently of increased plasma leptin levels, but that a later increase in amplitude of the 24-h leptin signal may contribute to ongoing weight loss. Fat restriction avoids the increase in ghrelin levels caused by dietary energy restriction.

I was on my keto diet for 10 months with the first 6 months having no cheat meals and other 4 months i had 1 cheat day per week where i would eat carbs.

Once you havent had carbs for a while you stop craving them all together. The hardest part is getting past the inital couple weeks where you still want to smash a massive bowl of spag bol lol :p

Sheat!!!!

Did you have any energy left to do anything in life man?
Let alone lift!

WOW

Sheat!!!!

Let alone lift!

WOW
It normally takes 3-4 weeks to be fully adapted to ketosis. So initially that is why it can seem like you have no energy etc. After that, if you are the sort of person who functions well in ketosis and follows a sufficient re-feed schedule, there is not any energy issues.

For the most part unless you are someone who has an extremely high level of insulin sensitivity (Ketogenic diets tend to regulate insulin levels for these type of people), there is no need to go that sort of extreme and restricting form of 'dieting'. It does not offer any extra metabolic benefits compared to non ketogenic diet Ketogenic Low-Carbohydrate Diets have no Metabolic Advantage over Nonketogenic Low-carbohydrate diets | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

To make it clear, I ain't knocking Keto! :) I certainly believe it has it's place, I just don't see it as the be all and end of all of dieting.

Last edited:
with my trials and members.. its trial and error with keto.. some guys can go 1 week no carbs then just need a 100g refeed every 4 days to refuel glycogen stores and it wont knowck them too far out yet it leaves them with fuel to do 80% max of their workouts. Some just utulize the fats so much easier..

I did a keto diet for about 5 months without a cheat. Worked well for fat loss not so well for strength and it was a pain in the arse in general.

Now I am having around 300-400g of carbs a day on my cut. More energy, strength still going up, heaps more normal diet with just as good results. I wont go back to keto again. It works but it seems like a lot of extra effort for no extra gain.

Looking lean.

Keto is tough, but if you can handle it go for it. I definitely pull the carbs back when leaning out. Only as a matter of macro nutrient importance. Pro + Fat > CHO in that regard. There's also an individual component. If you're somatotype is geared towards meso-endo, i've found really restricting sugars and refined CHO's helps them out A LOT. (Then again, this will help anyone out irrespective!)

Sheat!!!!

Let alone lift!

WOW

I was doing keto but also eating under maintenance calories so i did feel like i had lower than normal energy levels but that was probably more associated with the fact i was eating under maintenance and still trying to lift as heavy as possible.

Keep in mind i was 149.7kg when i first went on keto and as the kilos came off, simple things in life became easier. So even though i didnt feel full of energy all the time, i didnt really need to "try" as hard to do everyday things so i didnt notice it as much as what i am now.

Been on Keto for almost 2 weeks now without a cheat meal and i do feel low on energy at the moment. Hopefully after another week or so i should start feeling good again!

Good body composition. If I were in his position, for purely aesthetic purposes I'd want bigger shoulders to match out the comparitively huge arms, but still, the point is thoroughly made.

ryan - Good point noted ill raise it with him.. Sometime u dont know what u have till u strip down. Its a good bench mark to see where your lagging in some areas..

Andy - Probably another 4-5 weeks then its back to a regular clean diet.. his handling it very well actually. His blood tests are all fine etc but yeah i don't recommend staying at that level too long for health reasons as most know.

Is he lifetime natty? Not knocking the guy but a 90kg bench 1RM after 5 years training, you'd better be cracking the whip now!

Last edited:
He's lean, but my god he needs a chest. Also arms (in particular tris) almost look fake.

Also agree he's not the best example (nor are you) for the point you are trying to make. both of you made the switch to powerlifting AFTER doing bodybuilding. Not to mention the 'supps' that will make your body grow (or get cut) regardless of training methodology.

POint wasnt really about PL... more the fact the place and what u train.
Its a known fact drugs alone dont just build a good body. Otherwise ill be eating KFC everyday and taking celltech and do 30min on the stairmaster..

Normally you will find ppl with really good arms, their chest is lacking

Why?

Also, no offence to the guy, but it honestly looks like he doesn't even train chest. It might just be part of an illusion because his arms are massive.

How big are his arms btw?