• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Nice Dman, nice and simple ready for compound work. Hey I just ordered that bench today lol, but their on hols still to Monday so won't get it till late next week me thinks. I like that weight tree, is it a Gym Direct one?

EDIT:............Noooooooooooooo not the coat hangers......and is that baby gear (shakes head in shame LOL):p:p ITS A MAN CAVE, TELL HER TO GTFO>>>>:D

Last edited:
Thanks Rambodian. It'll do me for now, though, like you, I think I'll get a power rack (or assault rack) down the track.

I like that weight tree, is it a Gym Direct one?

No, I got it off fleabay as part of a package with the trap bar.

EDIT:............Noooooooooooooo not the coat hangers......and is that baby gear (shakes head in shame LOL):p:p ITS A MAN CAVE, TELL HER TO GTFO>>>>:D

Yes I know. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do when I have to go off to work and then come home to find this has happened to my pride and joy...

And a cautionary tale - don't let this happen to you...:eek:

washing001.jpg

I spat the dummy, though, when I came home to find wet clothes also hanging from my shiny new bar. :mad:

Poor bugger. She will get the picture after a while. My Mrs started doing that, Id come home and there would be a box, or some old shit in there, then I padlocked the door, now she just knows to not put any shit in my room and hasn't put anything in there for years. She has the rest of the house to dick around with.

black muscle motion rack with hi/low pully
muscle motion bench with new wider pad
shitty oly bar with 6x20's, couple 10's,5's, etc (170kg of plates)
home made weight tree
hollow bar and std weight plates for curls
square weights off a total gym for the pully system.

PICS ener, we want pics lol

ask, and you shall receive :)
Single car Garage Gym
Photo 1
2 Boxing bags ( hang them outside, store inside )
kick shield/pad
ab roller
skipping ropes(3$ one is 100 times better then the 20$ ball-bearing one I got given)
pushup thingos
car stands that i use to pull the barbell off sometimes
2 dumbbell handles
1 thicker dumbbell handle
2x2.5kg dumbbells
5kg dumbbell
homemade weight tree
Oly sized plates:
4x1.25kg
4x2.5kg
4x5kg
2x10kg
WaterRower (distance/timer stopped working)

Photo2/photo3
oly bar (16.8kg, :'( )
oly 6x20kg (2 rubber coated)
std 2x10kg plates
std 2x4.5kg cement filled weights (lawl)
std 2x2.5kg
std 2x1.25kg
std barbell (seems hollow)
70Kg+ of weight stack from an old machine, each plate is 4.5-5kg worth.

MM Rack with hi/low pully
-short pushdown bar
-wide lat pulldown bar
-tricep rope
-cable row attachment

wheel from an excel (i use it to do incline off)
Chain for attaching weight to pullups
680kg rated chain, full bucket.
MM Bench (115$ 25cm wide) - Modded with a 29cm new pad, 2 bits of 19mm pine, yoga matting and marine vinyl(needs a trim underneath)

foam jigsaw matting for safe-T
2 carpeted bits of wood for doing deadlifts off(i dont squat on it, it's there to make it neat)

p1040005p.jpg

p1040006e.jpg
p1040005p.jpg

p1040007r.jpg

p1040008b.jpg

p1040007r.jpg

p1040008b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set-up ener, LOL I use car stands too sometimes to put my bars on. There good for rack pulls when you got no rack

Old School Gyms

Hi Big Mick i love your gym set up, when i get a chance i will post some photos of my gym in my garage.All my equipment and weights are either samson or champion all heavyduty and old school.I use to train in a gym in regents park NSW called Century Gym it was all old school .:cool:

Here we go, I think I have worked out how to post up some photos.

Here is my home gym, it's set up in the rumpus/games room at the back of our house. I have painted the walls, and have also painted the training equipment, some of which is over 20 years old, I think I got the bench press when I was 17, and the Power Rack when I was 22. Used to only train weights to supplement my martial arts training. I made all the bars myself from steel bought from 'Easy Metal'.

My power rack:
100_6333.jpg

My bench:
100_6336.jpg

Home made dumbbell rack, need more dumbbells:
100_6337.jpg

Weights tree with traditional Samson Barbells plates, these were cast in Sydney in the 80's and 90's, and were bought by myself direct from the foundry where they were cast in Rydalmere:
100_6344.jpg

100_6351.jpg

Matted Martial arts training area, large kick bag bought on eBay and mats from 'Clark Rubber', kick and focus shields from Century Martial Arts, I currently train both my kids in Martial Arts:
100_5953.jpg

100_6322.jpg

The entertainment System, genuine Apple speaker box no longer made or sold, brilliant sound for my little ipod:
100_5960.jpg

TV and DVD wall mounted for when the missus and sometimes myself does her cardio:
100_5977.jpg

We also have a heap of YORK cardio gear I picked up on eBay over the last 18 months, I wanted the rower and tread mill, the missus wanted the Cross trainer and bike. Bought for a fraction of new price, just got to be patient:):
100_6324.jpg

100_6326.jpg

100_6328.jpg

100_6332.jpg

After training and starting to do dead lifts etc I have been considering building a lifting platform here, as I am a bit worried about the floor tiles any advice on how to do this, as I have no idea....might start a thread about it:), also want to get some heavy duty rubber gym floor mats to cover the whole weight training area wall to wall pretty much like I did with the jig saw mats in the kids training area:
100_6342.jpg

Hope you like, would love to see photos of simple and complex set ups, love the old hardcore garage gyms some people train in, reminds me of the old boxing gym I used to train in 20 years ago:D

Those of you who are 6' or over who have home gyms, how do you do clean and jerks, or overhead presses, without putting weight through he roof?

I'm potentially looking at building a new house at the end of 2012, and am already considering things like the above. I'll perhaps have them do raised ceilings or get the carport sunk.

Those of you who are 6' or over who have home gyms, how do you do clean and jerks, or overhead presses, without putting weight through he roof?

I'm potentially looking at building a new house at the end of 2012, and am already considering things like the above. I'll perhaps have them do raised ceilings or get the carport sunk.

Well there is really only one answer, build a higher roof.

Well there is really only one answer, build a higher roof.

Obviously, if you're in a position to plan for it like I am with building a new house. However, majority of people who get home gyms setup are already living in a house and raising existing ceilings is hard work :p

Obviously, if you're in a position to plan for it like I am with building a new house. However, majority of people who get home gyms setup are already living in a house and raising existing ceilings is hard work :p

Build a shed.

Really if you don't have anywhere with a high enough roof you don't have many other options apart from not doing standing OH exercises or dragging the weights outside and doing them on OH days.

I really think its only an issue if you train inside a room of your house, or in a basement. Best to use the garage as they usually have higher ceilings. If all else fails I'd do what Bazza said and go outside on the driveway or something for over head days.

Last edited:

6'2" here and no issues!

My hubby started using my equipment in our home gym, we have already had to replace the ceiling fan and 3 light covers on the same fan from overhead KB swings and presses! He is 6"1, I am 4"11:) I am safe!

garage is the go, high ceilings, only problem i had was the door opener, almost took it out a few times :D

Hi guys, just moved here from the States a few months ago and I just finished building this...

MM Commercial rack
MM Commercial flat bench
IronEdge power bar
240 kg MM Plates

imag00841.jpg

Back home I had.....

Powertec rack
2 Texas power bars
Pendlay Oly bar
TDS commercial flat bench
Pendlay Bumpers
Ivanko plates
Homemade platform

Nice set-up Kenpo, both here and in the states. Post a few pics mate, its good for the drool factor......don't know why, but I never get sick of looking at other peeps set-ups, even if they got the same rack etc LOL.

It's been ages since I updated my garage gym lol. A bit more $$$ a bit of luck and probably someone else to go halves and I may have a non-home home gym but we shall see

I did then upgraded when I got my money back from the bank after I went o/s lol. I got $5000 or so taken from my account that was meant to be my travelling money so I had to scrounge money to go away

Working for who I work for does have its perks as well ;)