• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

short rest vs long rest between sets

I may be painful. But why Starting Strength and 5 x 5 are called bodybuilding is just beyond me. Bodybuilding is concerned with building size - this is the priority. Strength is just a by-product and is a necessary part as one needs to continue getting stronger in moderate rep ranges to see growth.

Sure. Train according to your goals, definitely.

I like the fact you're citing those references, or looking for the science... But from what I've found as a recent beginner myself is it's hard to find the concrete answers. It's very frustrating, in fact. I'm not surprised to see all that careful wording in those sentences you posted.

Practically, I've found, read up on science in your spare time, but the best thing to do is just find a good coach who's made a lot of people strong and do what they say. (or a lot of people big, whatever)

Sure. Train according to your goals, definitely.

I like the fact you're citing those references, or looking for the science... But from what I've found as a recent beginner myself is it's hard to find the concrete answers. It's very frustrating, in fact. I'm not surprised to see all that careful wording in those sentences you posted.

Practically, I've found, read up on science in your spare time, but the best thing to do is just find a good coach who's made a lot of people strong and do what they say.

mate. I am here not to argue, but to discuss. I myself wasted a lot of time filtering what is good and what is bad for my goals.

I do not trust the studies that much, but rather look at what bodybuilders have been doing for years. Each to their own goals. I enjoy doing heavy lifts myself, but promoting strength training to bodybuilders is not right.

And he has an extremely small frame with a lot of muscle on it. What's your point?

with ideal deadlift proportions...

And he has an extremely small frame with a lot of muscle on it. What's your point?

with ideal deadlift proportions...

4x his bodyweight!! He has some muscle but no way he looks like a bodybuilder.

I can bet that 75% of big bodybuilders, weighing more than 200 lbs will fail to do the same.

4x his bodyweight!! He has some muscle but no way he looks like a bodybuilder.

I can bet that 75% of big bodybuilders, weighing more than 200 lbs will fail to do the same.

I never said that powerlifting won't make you build muscle. But powerlifting will not make you a bodybuilder. 132 lbs is still light, even for his frame

It's a fucking deadlift, lol. It's a lower body lift (primarily) and you're probably looking at his upper body.

Rather than finding someone with a less than outstanding upper body but with a very strong lower body, find an example of someone who can, say, bench press 200kg, with a bodyweight of 100kg, without good chest and arm development. Find one who's not overweight, too. Make sure the camera gets a good shot of their chest and triceps.....

BEFORE we go on - do you honestly believe someone who can move a shitload of weight with one muscle group - e.g. strict bicep curl 80kg - will not have large associated muscles? (e.g. biceps)

[YOUTUBE]ehg8gnYJ4hk[/YOUTUBE]

he is not big. Yet he benches more than bodybuilders who train at my gym and compete and have been training for a long time

That guy looks pretty strong to me. 315 x 4-5 isn't that amazing, btw. It looks about right for someone of his size.

Last edited:
Let's begin again. You're arguing you should train like a bodybuilder to look like one. People have agreed.

People have stated muscle size and strength are related. You have posted a few people with decent strength levels with decent muscle development, and some with poor/average strength and similar muscle development.

I'm not sure why we're still going.

Let's begin again. You're arguing you should train like a bodybuilder to look like one. People have agreed.

People have stated muscle size and strength are related. You have posted a few people with decent strength levels with decent muscle development, and some with poor/average strength and similar muscle development.

I'm not sure why we're still going.

will stop here. But when you say people have agreed on training like a bodybuilder. In your opinion how do bodybuilders train differently?

Of course high and low reps will build strength? But for an individual concerned to gain muscle (hypertrophy), why would you want to do low rep/heavy work? Keep getting stronger in moderate rep range 6-12 and stay in that range?

Why should a beginner always jump on Starting Strength or 5 x 5 if the goal is to build muscle, not maximum stength? And Strength is mostly neural if done in low rep range.

For farks sake....

Cause if you can train hypertrophy with 180kg bench as opposed to a 100kg bench who is going to have bigger arms and chest...

BBers need to moderate between both high and low rep ranges dependant on there needs...

PL ers need to moderate between both....same same....

At the end of the day if your a serious body builder you need to buy a g string, take steroids and diet your self well under 10% bf.... The end...

will stop here. But when you say people have agreed on training like a bodybuilder. In your opinion how do bodybuilders train differently?

My opinion isn't an expert opinion by any means but what the hell its a forum.

In my expert opinion bodybuilders use lighter weight and do more reps than powerlifters, and aren't quite as focussed on 3 particular movements. Powerlifters still do a lot of light weight sets and need to build size. Bodybuilders sometimes do low rep sets with heavy weight.

Look at the various routines around for yourself and spot the differences.

My opinion isn't an expert opinion by any means but what the hell its a forum.

In my expert opinion bodybuilders use lighter weight and do more reps than powerlifters, and aren't quite as focussed on 3 particular movements. Powerlifters still do a lot of light weight sets and need to build size. Bodybuilders sometimes do low rep sets with heavy weight.

Look at the various routines around for yourself and spot the differences.

If you watch the the Mr Olympia vids that follow the guys leading into the final...

They all squat and deadlift and incline bench heavy farkin triples during there cuts...

Ronnie c dies some pre fatigue work in lat pull downs on one vid.... And then proceeds to deadlift some heavy arse triples right up next to the world records.. while in a calorie deficit getting shredded....