• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

short rest vs long rest between sets

NO EL FREAKO POWERLIFTING IS NOTHING LIKE BODYBUILDING AT ALL XD

NCE4nqUhOijDnv3PNMxnJFGn6I53Ic37PszjSmpXLE8.jpg

This size and condition could never be achieved in powerlifting. Oh wait the owner of these legs has an all time squat record!

851743.1134655353324.DSCN0115.JPG

Terrible,,, would never win a powerlifting meet

l.jpg

If this guy could squat 345kg I would eat my hat!

These guys certainly do bodybuilding training in their off time. But there is no way you can get as big as a bodybuilder doing Starting Strength all the time

You be trolling or you be fucking retarded. I'm not sure.

I am out of here, honestly. I personally now feel very retarded. For all of you strength trainers, bodybuilding=powerlifting ( except bodybuilders wear g-strings ) Hope everyone feels better now : )

Starting Strength for powerlifting... sweet jebuz it gets better and better...

Sheiko, Smolov, I do not care about Powerlifting and what it is.

My point is that training for strength in low rep-ranges (1-5 ) is different to training for muscle size. Interpret that as you wish

These guys certainly do bodybuilding training in their off time. But there is no way you can get as big as a bodybuilder doing Starting Strength all the time

The guys legs at the top is Jamie Lewis and he never does more than sets of 3
That's him on the left at RUM6
421808_562861267065738_1158265958_n.jpg

My point is that training for strength in low rep-ranges (1-5 ) is different to training for muscle size. Interpret that as you wish

>sheiko
Lots of volume at moderate percentages (70-80%) followed by high rep sets to pump the muscles with blood you mean?
Sure sounds like your definition of body building to me!

Here is Bill Kazmaier's routine (3x Worlds Strongest Man)
Monday

Bench (heavy) warm up, then 4 sets x 10 reps
Wide Grip Bench 3 sets x 10 reps
Narrow Grip Bench 3 sets x 10 reps
Front Delt Raise 4 sets x 8 reps
Dumbell Seated Press 4 sets x 10 reps
Side Delt Raise 4 sets x 10 reps
Lying Tricep Push (after 2 warm up sets) 6 sets x 10 reps
Tricep Push Down 4 sets x 10 reps

Tuesday

Squat (heavy) warm up, then 4 sets x 10 reps
Deadlift (light) warm up, then 3 sets x 10 reps
Shrugs 2 sets x 15-40 reps, 1 set x 10-20 reps
Seated Hammer Curls 4 sets x 12 reps
Standing Curl 4 sets x 10 reps
Close Grip Chin Ups 3 sets x max on each set
Seated Row 4 sets x 10 reps
Leg Extensions 3 sets x 10 reps
Leg Curl 3 sets x 10 reps
Calf Raise 3 sets x 15-25 reps

Thursday

Bench (light) warm up, then 3 sets x 10 reps
Wide Grip Bench 3 sets x 10 reps
Narrow Grip Bench 3 sets x 10 reps
Dumbell Seated Press (heavy) warm up, then 4 sets x 8 reps
Front Delt Raise 4 sets x 10 reps
Tennis Backhand Cable Extensions 4 sets x 10 reps
Prone Tricep Extension 4 sets x 10 reps

Saturday

Deadlift (heavy) warm up, then 4 sets x 8 reps
Squat (light) warm up, then 4 sets x10 reps
Shrugs (heavy) 4 sets x 10-15 reps
Seated Hammer Curl 4 sets x 8 reps
Concentration Curl 4 sets x 12 reps
One Arm Row – 3 positions 3 sets x 10 reps
Wide Grip Pull (down to chest) 4 sets x 10 reps
Leg Extensions 3 sets x 10 reps
Leg Curl 3 sets x 10 reps
Calf Raise 3 sets x 15-25 reps
(Ab Work When Possible)

Kaz:
latspread.jpg

And my point is that you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. You know nothing about powerlifting and you obviously have very limited knowledge about bodybuilding.

5/3/1:
5x40%, 5x50%, 5x60%, 5x65%, 5x75%, max reps with 85% (percentages based on 90% of 1RM)
5x10x50-60%

You generally do train differently in certain ways for powerlifting and bodybuilding, placing more emphasis on certain aspects depending on your goal... but you sure as shit don't seem to have a clue about the specifics of these differences.

You generally do train differently in certain ways for powerlifting and bodybuilding, placing more emphasis on certain aspects depending on your goal... but you sure as shit don't seem to have a clue about the specifics of these differences.

sure. Cause I ain't a powerlifter, I do not care about lifting rep-maxes and wearing powerlifting gear

Last time I did smolov on pretty sure I did sets across rep ranges from 3-9...
And 20-repper squats are popular amongst power lifters....
Arthur-...please post your experience, as since you say you don't care about how power lifters train, you seem to be telling us an awful lot about how they train...

I'm still confuzzled???
Whether a bber or a pler.... Both would need to use a mixture of long and short rest periods... Including low and high rep ranges...
I never speak about something I have no experience with; hence my statements here are exclusively for both bodybuilding, a muscle hypertrophy dominant sport, with some strength and/or power as a side effect…, and Olympic weightlifting, which is a power dominant sport, with some muscle hypertrophy being its side effect.

To reply directly to your statement above, I would agree, however I would qualify my agreement by adding and indicating that yes, even though a mixture of both long and short rest intervals are used between sets, these rest intervals (and low and high rep rangers) are relative within and to these two individual sports I’m referring to here. By that I mean, what is considered high reps (say) for an Olympic weightlifter, would be considered a low to a mid rep range for the bodybuilder.

Olympic weightlifters’ maximum rep range is drawn at 5 repetitions, that is nowhere near high enough for many bodybuilders who focus on mid to high reps for increasing their muscle mass. Here, those bodybuilders could be looking at a maximum high rep range of/ between 15-30, a range no Olympic weightlifter would ever attempt or even go near.

As for the rest time intervals between sets, this is by the necessity of physiology that we all share, an Olympic weightlifter’s time between sets is usually between 3-5 minutes, leaning more towards the longer rest periods as the sets progress and the weight on the bar increases. Of course, when we’re talking rest periods between sets, our main goal (generally speaking) is for our muscle fibers to recover enough before we stress them again with another set. However this goal (of recovering between sets) is somewhat different in the sport of Olympic weightlifting as here, the weightlifter’s ability to lift the heavy weights in an explosive manner, is restricted by his neural efficiency (where how many muscle fibers his nervous system can activate and bring into play in that split second it takes him to power the weight up).

To only use one approach seems quite restrictive to me irrespective of the final goal...
I have no problem with that, as long as one does not compare apples with oranges, even though both are fruits.

Fadi.

I never speak about something I have no experience with; hence my statements here are exclusively for both bodybuilding, a muscle hypertrophy dominant sport, with some strength and/or power as a side effect…, and Olympic weightlifting, which is a power dominant sport, with some muscle hypertrophy being its side effect.

To reply directly to your statement above, I would agree, however I would qualify my agreement by adding and indicating that yes, even though a mixture of both long and short rest intervals are used between sets, these rest intervals (and low and high rep rangers) are relative within and to these two individual sports I’m referring to here. By that I mean, what is considered high reps (say) for an Olympic weightlifter, would be considered a low to a mid rep range for the bodybuilder.

Olympic weightlifters’ maximum rep range is drawn at 5 repetitions, that is nowhere near high enough for many bodybuilders who focus on mid to high reps for increasing their muscle mass. Here, those bodybuilders could be looking at a maximum high rep range of/ between 15-30, a range no Olympic weightlifter would ever attempt or even go near.

As for the rest time intervals between sets, this is by the necessity of physiology that we all share, an Olympic weightlifter’s time between sets is usually between 3-5 minutes, leaning more towards the longer rest periods as the sets progress and the weight on the bar increases. Of course, when we’re talking rest periods between sets, our main goal (generally speaking) is for our muscle fibers to recover enough before we stress them again with another set. However this goal (of recovering between sets) is somewhat different in the sport of Olympic weightlifting as here, the weightlifter’s ability to lift the heavy weights in an explosive manner, is restricted by his neural efficiency (where how many muscle fibers his nervous system can activate and bring into play in that split second it takes him to power the weight up).

I have no problem with that, as long as one does not compare apples with oranges, even though both are fruits.

Fadi.

Thanks for your contribution. Fadi, so bodybuilders use moderate rep-ranges. as according to THE size principle, such loads and rep-ranges are better for the stimulation of the muscle 2a muscle fibers, fatigue/stress and adaptation? The reason for bodybuilders using short rest periods between sets with moderate rep range sets ( 6-15) is to increase the motor unit recruitment and allow for greater stress/damage. Am I correct here?

Thanks for your contribution. Fadi, so bodybuilders use moderate rep-ranges. as according to THE size principle, such loads and rep-ranges are better for the stimulation of the muscle 2a muscle fibers, fatigue/stress and adaptation? The reason for bodybuilders using short rest periods between sets with moderate rep range sets ( 6-15) is to increase the motor unit recruitment and allow for greater stress/damage. Am I correct here?

Let me guess you have been lifting weights for a couple months.

You read Internet articles on what the pros supposedly do so now an expert

You think a 100kg bench and 200kg deadlift is big.

You call yourself a bodybuilder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enough with the insults.
The guy has an opinion. So what.
He hadn't called anyone names.
@Freako & Bazza.

yeah this thread has reached new levels of dumb. This is pumpiron stuff, he thinks everyone here is trying to get him to do starting strength for bodybuilding or some shit. We've reached new levels in stupidity here. Wonder if we can do it again.

We're all stubborn in one way or another, esp when we are passionate about a particular subject.