• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Recommend Protein Powder please

Thanks very much Josh I appreciate all that you said and will take it on board. I prob waited my money, but as I said people people give diff info, and to someone starting out, you tend to listen. I pm's fadi, so hopefully I can get some more info from him. thanks heaps.

To be honest Angie it looks like you are searching for some magic supplement of combination, unfortunatly there is none. Nothing can beat hard work and a good diet. If there was an easy way to do, well there would be WAY more people getting around with great physiques. If you look around you will soon see that is not the case.

There is no substitute for hard work and discipline.

Josh,

Well said. I will be taking this into account too. Shrek yourself and others should be knighted!!

Steve

Angie, you are doing great as it is. You looked lean in the photo you put up with some decent muscle tone, much better than the average Woman in my opinion. So whatever you have been doing has been working.

As for the conflicting advice, of course the guy at a Health Care shop is going to be telling you to buy more products, it is in his best interest. It happened to me a bit when I started. I would say the most accurate information you would get would be from people around here. A few people have photos posted and if they look muscular and are dedicated, chances are they know what is going on.

This is how it is for me in order of priority.

1. Diet - Without this in order everything else is a basically a waste of time. A good diet will determine the types of results you get.
2. Training - You need to train for what you want. Consistency and intensity is the key. You need to bust your ass, and do it frequently. Especially if you want to build muscle.
3. Rest - This is also very important when you want to build muscle. To put it simply, when you are sleeping is when your body is building muscle.
4. Supplements - This is a distant 4th as well. I will outline the supps I take and the supps that I think are important.

- Protein Powder - Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) is fine, Why Protein Isolate (WPI) can be expensive and studies suggest it has mariginal benefit over WPC. I also use a Cassein Protein before going to bed. If I don't have Cassein I will eat some Cottage Cheese or something else high in protein that will take a while to break down while I sleep. If you are taking Cassein you do not need to also have Cottage Cheese. They are a substitute of each other basically.
- Multi Vitamin - Some say that if you have a well balanced diet that this is not needed. I still take one though just to top me up if I need it. I am not even sure I do though.
- Creatine - I use Creatine on and off. I am not sure if it does give much affect to me to be honest. It is supposed to supply energy to muscles.
- Fish Oil Caps - Good source of Omega 3 fatty acids. We all know what this stuff does as they harp on about it all the time.

The important times for protein and some carbs are both before and after Workouts. You want to make sure you have some carbs to fuel your workout along with a small amount of protein. After your workout once again you want some carbs and a relatively fast absorbing protein, WPC is fine for that. You should then eat about 30 - 60 mins after your workout. It is also important to eat as soon as you rise or as soon as you can, this will firstly nourish your body and also give your metabolism a good kick start.

Other people like Fadi or Shrek who know a heap more about this might be able to give some more info. But it really is not complicated at all, it is actually very simple. So many people try and over complicate it or go really deep with everything you need. Athletes at the top level could probably benefit from this, but the average weightlifter probably won't so much. If you get the first 3 steps right you are going to get good results. Supplements should be just that, supplementry to a good diet and used in moderation.

protein powders that have any thermogeinc agent are a waste of money as caffine is a diuretic and you will excrete most of it out (poor GI tract absorbtion) ultimate nutrition whey supreme isint bad same as gaspari myofusion both are low carb so a similar deal

I just get whatever is on special at vitamin me. As long as its over 75g of protein per 100g. A few of my mates ask why I use "cheap crap". But that cheap crap has taken me from 78kg to 110kg and allowed me to squat 205kg raw and drug free.

Moral of the story?

As long as its protein it will be fine.

I just get whatever is on special at vitamin me. As long as its over 75g of protein per 100g. A few of my mates ask why I use "cheap crap". But that cheap crap has taken me from 78kg to 110kg and allowed me to squat 205kg raw and drug free.

Moral of the story?

As long as its protein it will be fine.

Nicely said NPR. Well done on your squat!

VP2 is a favourite. Straight after training, love it. BCAA's (Xtreme Ice) morning, during training & before bed. Throw in extra glutamine if you like.
Keep the diet & sleep good and the recoveries will improve (results will follow). Had a real impact for me and keeps me on the sprint track 6 sessions a week.

But hey wtf is with trying to order some VP2 from overseas? Do customs really disallow that sorta thing?

Err that's because it is far more expensive then other powders, esp bulk powders
No brainer really.

It isn't really that expensive compared to other powders out there and of course its going to be more expensive than a bulk powder.

Marketing costs money and that has to be added onto the cost of the product and sponsorship of athletes, so in a sense you complaining about a company that puts money into the industry through research as well, paying for ads in magazines which keeps them running, sponsoring events, and athletes, how many comps do you think would be around if they and others didnt get involved.

The fact that you know there name means it all worked and if you went to your local corporate type gym how many people there will know about maxs and how many will know about the bulk type companies.

The bulk powder companies wont do most of this as it will then add to the cost of the product and then you wont love them as much.

In the end Maxs aren't expensive compared to most of your other brands it comes down to what your looking for in a product, there range taste great as lots of people always go back for more and they'll never bring out crap.

Last edited:
TS153, how do you determine between a crap protein powder and a good one. (Besides taste)

I looked at Maxes Bioengineered WPI (3kg) which has 27g of protein per 30g, it is $146.95. You can get 4kg of Bulk WPI for $120 from Bulk Nutrients which is 30g of protein per 30g.

With the maxes stuff you pay $54.42 per kg of protein where as with the Bulk Protein you pay $30 per kg of protein. I know which one I will be going. I don't really care to much for the marketing of the supplement companies, it actually makes me laugh. With all of their big claims and massive hysteria they make out they make amazing substance that will make you grow uncontrollably. No, it is just protein which can be sourced from a good whole food diet.

I'd prefer to save my own money than support rip off supplement companies, but that is just me.

TS153, how do you determine between a crap protein powder and a good one. (Besides taste)

I looked at Maxes Bioengineered WPI (3kg) which has 27g of protein per 30g, it is $146.95. You can get 4kg of Bulk WPI for $120 from Bulk Nutrients which is 30g of protein per 30g.

With the maxes stuff you pay $54.42 per kg of protein where as with the Bulk Protein you pay $30 per kg of protein. I know which one I will be going. I don't really care to much for the marketing of the supplement companies, it actually makes me laugh. With all of their big claims and massive hysteria they make out they make amazing substance that will make you grow uncontrollably. No, it is just protein which can be sourced from a good whole food diet.

I'd prefer to save my own money than support rip off supplement companies, but that is just me.

I meant crap as in supplements in general, you know not like alot of there U.S competitors.

As for the cost did you read at all the reasoning I wrote behind that.
Do you think you would really be at a gym today if these companies (US and Aus) didnt do all the marketing they have done other the last 50 years.

If they didnt do that then you would still be drinking down glasses of eggs and your favourite gym probably wouldn't exist and the fitness industry would be anywhere near what it is today.

Singling out Maxs as being expensive when all the other companies charge similar amounts isnt really fair as they are all on par.

Now on another note buying in bulk may suit you and most others here as you have goals and are devoted to what you do but I can tell you that most people hesitate even spending $100 on a product, let alone buying in bulk and not using it all.

Now, also go to the bulk nutrients site. it says their WPI is 91.4 protein which works out to be 27.42g per 30 gram serving and thats without flavouring added.

Dont get me wrong I love the fact that I and others can get bulk supps for great prices but all Im saying is that singling out certain companies when they are supporting the industry.

When you run out of your bulk protein and you have to wait a day till you get your next one which are the companies that generally have drinks in the fridge at the gym that add convenience so you dont have to go without a half decent recovery even though it may not be ideal.
Im not saying you buy them but others might.

1. You singled out Max's not me.
2. I don't like the way that supp companies take advantage of newbies with all of their ****.
3. Why do you need to run out of bulk protein? If you buy it before running out you will be fine. Same as if you buy Max's online.

What I am mainly trying to get at, spending $$$$'s is not nessecary in building a good body or strength.

I'll single out a few more if you like.
Horleys
Musashi
Balance
Boddy Ripped

I could go on.

The reason for not buying the more fancy pants marketing brands is this, marketing does not increase muscle. You dont want to pay a marketing contribution on everything you buy. When choosing powders i look at the quality of the whey and its origins eg NZ or China, i also look at the processing methods, heat process's etc. I like undernatured cold filtered whey. From New Zealand. Fitness Central, Syn-Tec.
AZZA

1. You singled out Max's not me.
2. I don't like the way that supp companies take advantage of newbies with all of their ****.
3. Why do you need to run out of bulk protein? If you buy it before running out you will be fine. Same as if you buy Max's online.

What I am mainly trying to get at, spending $$$$'s is not nessecary in building a good body or strength.
1. Post 48

2. The big companies dont really take advantage really, as it comes down to convenience they are the ones with sale reps that go around getting their product into stores putting the products closer to the customers so they can purchase and learn about what they are purchasing.
If your favourite bulk company did that so you didnt get ripped off the first time you purchased then Im sorry to say but then they would to be around the same price.
Nobody complains that a chocolate bar cost more at a servo when you can cleary go to woolies and get it cheaper. Convenience.

3. Now all I said was what if you did, definitely the same as when you purchase maxs online, but maxs make those little poppers in the fridge as well as musashi but if your training hard and dont have something on hand so your body doesnt go into a catabolic state then these are ideal.

I know exactly what your talking about, it costs more all Im trying to do is make it apparent the reason why they do cost a bit or a fair bit more.
I'll single out a few more if you like.
Horleys
Musashi
Balance
Boddy Ripped

I could go on.
I could go on too, but what I was saying initially was the statement "Maxs is too expensive" really wasnt true as all the companies that are at there level of coverage in stores around Aus, marketing, sponsorship, etc. are all very close to a similar price.

With bulk companies you are cutting out the middle man(the ratailer) which is why they are cheaper as well.
But then 95% of people when purchasing furniture will go to a furniture store why dont they just go to the manufacturer. hmm. Maybe alot of people could save money there too as well as a thousand other things.

The reason for not buying the more fancy pants marketing brands is this, marketing does not increase muscle. You dont want to pay a marketing contribution on everything you buy. When choosing powders i look at the quality of the whey and its origins eg NZ or China, i also look at the processing methods, heat process's etc. I like undernatured cold filtered whey. From New Zealand. Fitness Central, Syn-Tec.
AZZA
Pretty much all the Aus companies get there protein from the same NZ Supplier.

The marketing helps pay for sponsorships of those that are at the elite of their sport. If these athletes didnt get those sponsorships because they didnt market themselves to get more business Australia wouldn't be the Kickass sporting nation that we love.
Why do we all buy Adidas, Nike, Asics runners/cross trainers/even squat shoes when we can go for the much cheaper mass produced chinese/Taiwanese runners from the $2 shop. When they really cost almost the same to produce. We've all heard about them exploiting third world countries.

Im not trying to have a go at anyone or anything just trying to put reasoning behind why they cost more.

I would like to go into Bulk manufacturing soon as well a produce my own supp blends, so its not that Im against them at all. I just think that bagging these companies because they cost more isnt the way to go. as they aren't on a level playing field, like why does it cost more to buy flavoured milk when you can buy milk and flavouring and it cost less.

(can you tell I like examples. lol)

When I began bodybuilding in the early 80s, it was the big chief of bodybuilding himself Mr. Joe Weider, doing all the advertising through his bodybuilding magazines. He used steroid abusers to market his supplements to the ever frustrated young (and not so young) bodybuilding hopefuls.

Has anything changed since those days? I'd leave that for you to decide.

Hypocrisy galore!?

Fadi.

Last edited: