• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rapid Fat Loss diet by Lyle McDonald

Just looking out for you :) Trust me, you will not want to do anything more than you have to. The training is only for LBM retention so volume should be low. Hypertrophy is not going to happen on such low cals.

Each time I've done it, I've felt very lethargic during the day but come gym time I was still good to go. I don't know if I was just thinking it but I seemed to have a bit more joint pain than normal. (knees)

Also, got tired very early at night. You are cat 1 right? 12 days max.

Have you tried this again? l know l read somewhere you blew up like a tic after stopping said diet.

Just looking out for you :) Trust me, you will not want to do anything more than you have to. The training is only for LBM retention so volume should be low. Hypertrophy is not going to happen on such low cals.

Each time I've done it, I've felt very lethargic during the day but come gym time I was still good to go. I don't know if I was just thinking it but I seemed to have a bit more joint pain than normal. (knees)

I've got to go back into the book and check. Last fat check was 24% but have dropped 1.5kg since then.

Have you tried this again? l know l read somewhere you blew up like a tic after stopping said diet.

Haha yep, turned into a whale :p

My thoughts of post RFL stuff are all here.

Free Diet and Fitness Forums and Chat, Free Diet Tips | MyFitnessPal.com

15 October 77.2kg
2012-10-15%2525252006.40.43.jpg

17 November 79.1kg (after 800+g cab refeed yesterday)
2012-11-17%25252007.59.48.jpg

RIP old Galaxy S2. You will be sorely missed :p

how would you approach this diet if you had a physical job?

Cat Spew: I wouldn't do it. It's too extreme. And as I said, I would only do it if you are in cat 1 already. Losing fat to get below 15% for a guy doesn't need to be this technical/extremem.

Kaz: nope. 3 day refeed for a cat 1 and then 2 week maintenance minimum. I don't believe it is a good idea to do this frequently. After 12 days I doubt you'll want to do it anytime soon anyway :p

Cat Spew: I wouldn't do it. It's too extreme. And as I said, I would only do it if you are in cat 1 already. Losing fat to get below 15% for a guy doesn't need to be this technical/extremem.

i have tried it before and i made it 4.5 days before i caved into the cravings. my energy levels were pretty fucked at work but bearable. i was toying with the idea of trying it again but i dont think i will

If you can last 4 days then something like UD2 could be a better idea as that is 3.5 low days, 2.5 high days and one maintenance day. It's more manageable for longer term. In saying that it's VERY regimented and also not actually required until pretty lean IMO.

Thanks Jz;)
Might save it for prior to Xmas so Xmas day is start of refeed!!

I like this idea :)

I've been attempting to do UD2 style during the week and carb up weekends at the moment with all the social stuff I've had on.

On a side note - I am running a 4 - 8 week CKD keto diet atm, running pretty well first week in. Super easy to follow, am I'm surprised once you hit ketosis how you never feel hungry. Would be so easy to run intermittent fasting on keto me thinks.

Using a combination of Lyles and Polumbo's research on keto. Surprisingly lifts have all gone up which I find interesting by don't really know why?

Last edited:
I very rarely feel hungry, but conversely i very rarely feel full. bit of a catch-22 which requires special action:

1) remembering to eat - if i'm busy i miss meals. if i'm bored it's not a problem because i look forward to doing something interesting and i enjoy cooking. i need a routine to tell me when to eat on busy days. this is especially noticeable at midday at the end of my 16hr fast - i'm not hungry, but i've typically been working for 5 or 6 hours and i'm getting bored. if not for the boredom i would get to 2pm and realise i've missed my lunch break.

2) planning my meals and sticking to them - it took me a little while to learn that there was basically no way i could eat every meal with the intent to finish feeling full. if i go til i'm full and i'm eating calorie dense foods then i can easily eat through 3000 calories in a sitting. for this reason i just program meals that meet my macros, contain heaps of veggies and accept that i'm never full.

based on #2, i'd be interested to see how i would go eating big - i've always been a big eater, but i get the feeling like a 1kg steak or whatever wouldn't even touch the sides.

so yeah, very easy to do IF on keto/LC because your intake is not dictated by hunger, more by mental attachment and routine (yay ghrelin and cortisol). breaking the stress that comes with skipping a traditional meal time is a big victory.

Done that amount of bacon :p No mayo allowed on RFL.

I think I'd feel like shit from the mayo though. Funnily enough I had baconnaise on my salad today haha.

i've seen jz's "what are you eating now" posts and i have no doubt about his iron-stomach credentials... i reckon i could do half a kilo of chicken and some veg and still be hungry - today's lunch was half bbq chicken and a big salad and i walked away like i hadn't eaten anything :\

really? I never felt this. I could eat 500g chicken, fibrous veg and easily go back for more.

I dunno first day was fucked, headaches, head spinning, from there been perfect. In the morning I have 4 Omega 3 Eggs + 4 whites, Usually I would eat all that within 5min or so, my last breakfast used to a 1.5L shake or fruit, oats, milk and whey.

Now it takes me 30min to finish my 4 eggs I feel like an idiot :p