• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rapid Fat Loss diet by Lyle McDonald

i want to do a cut before the comp for this year on ausbb, would something like this be ideal if i leave myself a short amount of time to cut as much as possible?

i want to do a cut before the comp for this year on ausbb, would something like this be ideal if i leave myself a short amount of time to cut as much as possible?

Depends on the category you fit into. 1, 2 or 3.
Larger people can remain on the diet longer.
Lower BF are limited.

Would be ideal to finish a cut, IMO.

Deep: yeah I had diet soft drink from time to time. However, I normally drink those powerade zero's as one of the things that is quite hard to get with this diet is potassium so I'd try and get it from anywhere I could. Powerade > coke zero for this :p

Alpha Moth: IMO yes. (depending on category as Deep said) And I'd want to be around maintenance for a week or so before starting it just because of the possible down regulation in metabolism with prolonged dieting and then RFL. And to further what Deep said, I personally think that this is best for guys 10-15% because of the VERY low limit of food for anyone above 15%. And I think at less than 10% you're body is wanting to hold onto any fat reserves it can so it could lead to LBM loss (even with adequate protein & training). That's just a hunch of mine though :)

Thanks JZ! What was your 2 serves of dairy per day?

Might prep foods today and start tomorrow. Intermittent fasting till 1pm for me.
Already started on black tea.

I always do IF even with RFL. I think it makes it easier.

Not possible in Australia to have 2 serves of diary IMO. In US you can get fat free cottage cheese, cream cheese, cheddar cheese which people use but as we don't get them the cals from the fat adds up. I did a half assed RFL for 5 days before I did 2 real ones and I had low fat cottage cheese that time. Unsure if it was total cal related or not but the results were fairly average that time.

Thanks again. Have only previously used calcium supplements because I never found fat free dairy that was also low in sugar! :)

yeah, I took calcium also. So total was Multi + fish oil + calcium for me :) I hope you'll be logging all this :)

I think I will :)
Contemplating a seperate thread, unfortunately I'm not creative with food but handy with a microwave lol

JZ, personally what do you think would be better, starting or ending a cut with this? possibly both? Interested to try it when I start my cut moreso to see if im mentally capable of it as well as obviously losing fat.

All I ate when on this was chicken breast broccoli and cauliflower, for flavor I added some salsa sometimes and minor amounts of the lowest carb tomato sauce I could find. Unless youre a good cook or handy with food, which I am not, the diet is very bland I think.

As JP said it works real well though, I would say be cautious not to push yourself too hard while training, push but keep in mind that youre low carb, low fat and low cals.

Aero depending how fat you are you can use this to cut it doesnt only have to be for 10 days, I think if youre fat over 15% you can run it longer, its been a while since I read the book. You do have to do the carb refeed every 10 days? or something similar and after 6 weeks I think you have to take 2 weeks off for maintenance. JP will probably remember more than I do.

With the soft drink even some of the sugar free shit has carbs in it so be aware of that.

Yeah I've got the book and read it (pretty much) e-cover to e-cover. Bodyfat calipers say im at about 11% but I know that can't be right, id estimate more at 13-14%. Just curious if JZ did it at the start/middle/end of a cut or just for fun.

I think it's personal preference depending on the rebound affect. I found that both times I did it I put a bit of fat back on after a bit too easily. First time I overate though, second time I thought I was closer to my normal maintenance. I'd stick with a regular cut for as long as possible mainly because it's just easier & makes more sense to do it that way unless you have some sort of deadline (or like the self experimentation).

At you're BF% you'd be cat1 so 12 days max.

First time I did it was just maintaining before and another group of friends were doing it so I thought I'd give it a go.

Second time, I had been bulking for a bit and was going on holidays to Hawaii and didn't want to be a fatty there :p

So I'd say do a normal cut and then if you had a deadline and didn't think the progress was quick enough, then you could try something like this.

Thanks for the info. Cut is planned to be relatively long so I can take it slow and steady, am hoping to get to about 9%. Never had abs when relaxed so that is my goal...maybe I'll set a date and if im not happy 2 weeks out ill binge for a day then go into this.

cheers

man, you wait for the refeed! By far the biggest day of eating in my life. Good fun :) A little difficult to keep fats low though I guess.

That's where bagels come into it.

Pack of 4 Blueberry bagels (8g fat, 38g pro, 239g carbs), little bit of jam on it for moisture and you cant go wrong.

Thought I would post up my latest results. (third round) I got dexa scanned before and after this time :)

RFL data
ScreenHunter_56%2520Oct.%252016%252010.14.jpg

So in summary, I believe that even with the fairly extreme levels of protein intaken and a sufficient training protocol it is still highly like that there will be LBM losses with a modified PSMF because of the extremely large deficit. So I would say that unless there is a deadline for something, the slow and steady route is the best way.

2012-10-02%252007.49.40.jpg

2012-10-15%252006.40.43.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I would post up my latest results. (third round) I got dexa scanned before and after this time :)

RFL data
ScreenHunter_56%2520Oct.%252016%252010.14.jpg

So in summary, I believe that even with the fairly extreme levels of protein intaken and a sufficient training protocol it is still highly like that there will be LBM losses with a modified PSMF because of the extremely large deficit. So I would say that unless there is a deadline for something, the slow and steady route is the best way.

2012-10-02%252007.49.40.jpg

2012-10-15%252006.40.43.jpg

Nice work JZ...

Very interesting comparison there...

Thanks mate :)

I should mention that I had commenced carb refeed by the time I got to the dexa place and was already about 1kg heavier than lowest weight. Not sure exactly how glycogen stores & sodium loading etc would affect a dexa scan though?