• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PTC Perth Opening?

There is still an inherent protection for the PTC brand. For instance if someone wanted to try and register as a trademark "PTC Frankston" or even "PTC" in a conflicting class, then Markos would have grounds to oppose the registration during the opposition period.

What most people dont realise is that registration of a trademark occurs in specific classes. So for instance it is possible to have "PTC Frankston" registered in the retail class and another company to have "PTC Frankston" registered in the religious orders class. (I dont remember the actual classes I just used these two as example).

Also, registration of a trademark with the IP office is nation wide, on top of that if a registered trademark is not being used by its owner, then any third party has grounds to oppose and have that trademark dissolved for its reuse. For instance is coke stopped making and trading as coke, I could oppose it, if I then wanted to use that trademark.

One last thing, a copyright is NOT a trademark.

How do I know this, because I have a registered trademark in Australia plus madrid protocol UK and US.

Very good summary.:)

Its good in theory to rely on a common law trade mark to prevent others registering a trade mark, but in practice its much more difficult and expensive.

If you just register a trade mark it is always better, because the trade marks examiners do that job for you. Registrations work on a first in best dressed basis. If you get the earlier priority date, then the Examiner won't allow any subsequently filed conflicting mark to proceed to registration without the applicant having to jump through hoops.

You can register descriptive trade marks, but it's often difficult and you generally need a lawyer to draft evidence and submissions to the Examiner.

I have my views on the registrability of PTC but not appropriate for a public forum.

I don't hate neither. I have donated my time helping PTC Sydney in comps and recommended guys go there for coaching. This does not sound like hate to me.

I just fail to see why a gym over the other side if the country cannot succeed without being called PTC.
I reckon it could big time.

I don't want to derail the thread but I don't agree with you Sean.

AusBB (in particular Admin and Myself) have always supported PTC be it Melb, Bris or Sydney.

The Perth guys will be no different.

I don't hate neither. I have donated my time helping PTC Sydney in comps and recommended guys go there for coaching. This does not sound like hate to me.

I just fail to see why a gym over the other side if the country cannot succeed without being called PTC.
I reckon it could big time.

Surely you get why they are doing it? They would be probably be successful either way.

Trent explained it perfectly in his previous posts.

Guys, there are a million ways to skin a cat, we chose this way, we believe its the right choice for us, at this time. We believe Perth would benefit from a PTC facility and we now know there is a demand for it.

Hammer I appreciate your point of view.

Anyway back on track, to derail the franchise debate, here is a cut down list of equipment we are looking at procuring to open with.

Mono lift
Combo rack (once prototyping in Vic is complete)
Commercial power rack
Ivanko calibrated plate set
Full set of kettlebells
Lifting platform - maybe even multiple.
Ironedge bumper set
More weight plates
ABC power bars
plyo boxes
tyres
kegs
sledge hammers
strongman log
chin bar
torsonator
farmers walk

Here is a lit of gear we already have

Power rack
Squat Stand
2 Pendlay Nexgen Oly lifting bars
1 Ironedge bar
1 Ironedge power bar
Flat benches
Weight plates
Ironedge Bumpers
Powerbands
Prowler
2 Trap Bar
Speed ropes
Power rope
Full set of dumbells (TBC)
Power rings

We are currently waiting on quotes from suppliers and we thank Markos, Trent and Scott for advice and supplier contacts.

We do have a few warehouses in Morley that we are interested in, nothing confirmed yet.

The franchise agreement has been received from Markos all we need to do is review and sign.

I would also like to thank Gawain because it looks like we will also be stocking his Power Protein for our clients.

We have already gauged interest in a local sporting team but nothing confirmed yet.

Thanks to everyone for getting behind this project and if your in Perth, get your ass to PTC!

http://www.ptcperth.com.au

Last edited:
Surely you get why they are doing it? They would be probably be successful either way.

Trent explained it perfectly in his previous posts.

No I don't get it. Why Would you want to use his name. Makes zero sense up me. It's not a fast food chain it hotel chain. It's just a gym. There can be no expansion because you are an affiliation. Great way to hinder your progress should you choose to do do.

Anyhow I wish them all the success and I'll be sure to visit when I'm in Perth next.

No I don't get it. Why Would you want to use his name. Makes zero sense up me. It's not a fast food chain it hotel chain. It's just a gym. There can be no expansion because you are an affiliation. Great way to hinder your progress should you choose to do do.

Anyhow I wish them all the success and I'll be sure to visit when I'm in Perth next.

May I field this one with a real life example, sir?

I'm looking for somewhere to train. Morley suburb is not convenient to me. If Dan/Paul had come on here saying they were opening Ruccis Gym in Morley I'd wish them well and perhaps drop by as a once off to check it out. However, being that they're a PTC and I've witnessed how awesome & knowledgeable Trent and Sticky are, I'll try to make it there regularly.

Is the gym or trainers any different? no
Do i give a crap what it's called? no
Do I think that any disciple of Markos/Trent/Sticky is likely to be awesome or at least on the road to being so? yes

That is all.

The gear your looking at getting before you open is going to set you back around 15k.
You know that right?

Point is its a big outlay on stuff you don't need....
As you pointed out, markos started in his garage, he didn't even have a cage when met him.

Having a monolift and calibrated plates wouldn't be beneficial yet. If you have the money to blow, cool... But I'd use that to get a bigger/closer to CBD premises.

Have faith.

The locations we are looking at are within 10km from the CBD, have access via highways/freeways and centrally located.

We want to provide people who come to the gym the real PTC experience, and no better way to begin than by stocking the gym with all the essential gear needed for training different types of people including teams. We also want to hold club competitions and GPC competitions, to do that, we need the monolift and calibrated weight plates.

Last edited: