• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PTC Perth Opening?

Is the name (PTC - Perfomance Training Centre) trademarked or registered?

I just saw a small add in the local paper for "Shire PTC" and the words "Performance Training Centre" are mentioned.
Far as I know, they are not an affiliate of PTC.
I knew of them before I saw the ad too.

Just awaring you incase you want to protect your intellectual property.

The name is registered to Markos.

If anybody tries to register a similar name, ABR checks it.
If they deem it's too similar, the registration will be rejected.

Business name or company name registration does not confer any rights whatsoever. All it does is prevent another person registering the exact same business or company name. It doesn't prevent them from using it.

Basically registering a business name is just an administrative requirement for doing business. It is otherwise useless.

In order to prevent someone else using a name you need to register it as a trade mark.

PS I'm an IP lawyer. If other businesses are trying to trade off the PTC name, Markos is welcome to contact me to discuss.

Business name or company name registration does not confer any rights whatsoever. All it does is prevent another person registering the exact same business or company name. It doesn't prevent them from using it.

Basically registering a business name is just an administrative requirement for doing business. It is otherwise useless.

In order to prevent someone else using a name you need to register it as a trade mark.

PS I'm an IP lawyer. If other businesses are trying to trade off the PTC name, Markos is welcome to contact me to discuss.

This was my understanding aswell....

When reg my business....I looked through this aswell....

Thanks for the explaination.
I'm guessing something like "PTC" can't be trademarked as it's too general.
So Sydney PTC for example, would that have to be trademarked specifically as "PTC Sydney" ?

Are there laws preventing people from trademarking a whole group of names, even if they don't plan to use those names for business purposes?
eg, some internationally well known brand names which have not been trademarked in Australia due to the small market here?

PTC Sydney probably wouldn't be trademarked at all? Although Trent would obviously be the best person to speak to about that. (Or Sticky, given that he runs PTC Brisbane)

Businesses can be registered as PTC Sydney, PTC Brisbane, PTC Perth etc - in each state of Australia and may or may not be affiliated. And I think (strong_enough may correct me here) that the business name registration is then, only good for that particular state.

Which essentially means that you can open "PTC Brisbane" and register that name in Qld - but the registration alone, doesn't stop someone in Adelaide or Canberra or Perth, from using PTC in their company name, even if in exactly the same industry.

Trademark, as far as I've been told, is the only way to copywrite the use of a name, nationally.

Not quite correct from my experience Bella.

When I went to register "PTC Brisbane" the ABR knocked me back as it was too similar to "PTC Frankston".

The only way around it was for me to get a signed letter (franchise agreement) from Markos stating that I was a franchise and he will allow the use of the name.

Not sure if shire PTC has registered their name, if they haven't, they may not be able to.

I looked at their website, and they do NOTHING like we do (as far as gym work goes) so I'm not to worried, but I'll talk to markos tomorrow about it.

Ahhh interesting Scott. It makes sense though.

When I went to register my business name there was a very similar name already...but they were no longer trading...it was a pain in the arse to get them to relinquish the name...but all done now, thankgod.

Am sure it's all good. You gents know what you're doing ;)

There is still an inherent protection for the PTC brand. For instance if someone wanted to try and register as a trademark "PTC Frankston" or even "PTC" in a conflicting class, then Markos would have grounds to oppose the registration during the opposition period.

What most people dont realise is that registration of a trademark occurs in specific classes. So for instance it is possible to have "PTC Frankston" registered in the retail class and another company to have "PTC Frankston" registered in the religious orders class. (I dont remember the actual classes I just used these two as example).

Also, registration of a trademark with the IP office is nation wide, on top of that if a registered trademark is not being used by its owner, then any third party has grounds to oppose and have that trademark dissolved for its reuse. For instance is coke stopped making and trading as coke, I could oppose it, if I then wanted to use that trademark.

One last thing, a copyright is NOT a trademark.

How do I know this, because I have a registered trademark in Australia plus madrid protocol UK and US.

I'd trademark my own name.

Bugger promoting some one else name.

You have Perth all to yourself and you want to use some one else name.

Whats wrong with Rucci's Strength Gym or whatever?

I just don't get it?

Big mistake in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm sure Trent @ PTC Sydney would have just as many members had it been called a different name.

Just my opinion, no hate.

Its not someone elses name, its the frachises name, and Perth will be a franchise just like Sydney and Brisbane.

Why would you buy a nandos franchise? hehe.

Nandos is a world organization

You do not need to franchise a small local gym

Show some balls and go alone

You can do it

Not sure if your serious or not?

Can you not see how jumping on board with a well established name would be beneficial to your business?

All the equipment supplier connections have been made.

We have the largest representation of any gym at powerlifting meets.

Be apart of a "team" at outings.....

Plenty of advantages.

No I don't see it.

How was it well established when it was run out of a garage when you decided to Ko on

Seems you were to afraid yo go it alone.

Trent?????

Shrek .. scotty is correct.

Strength in numbers.
When u think of fitness first . Most think of big conglomerate commercial gym straight away.

Now if it was Scott's gym and trents gym people think its just a bunch of different owners running warehouse gyms and not sure of what they are getting.

Say 3 years down the track and ptc franchise gets a household name through word of mouth as a non nonsense bs gym training people all results for all members no matter which gym they step into.

Then say wingnut decides to open a ptc. He wouldn't have to do a lot to gain peoples interest as the brand is already established.

A lot if the time I get told. Before we had no good real gyms to choose from. Now with ptc open we have a choice.

Franchising 101.

Last edited:
Markos had over 30 members in his garage training. Before he moved. They didn't give a shit his equipment was old or that it had no aircon. Every person there were mates with the next and helped each other lift.

A buisness model where your clients advertise for u because they belive in the product is the best form of advertising!!

U would be a fool to not see potential in something like this.

I would love to one day like Scott run ptc as my day job. Can't get better than doing something u love and living off it.

Plus ptc franchise is a once off fee with no ongoing royalties. U just pay that fee which is tiny and u get the guidance and the model which exists in all the ptcs now.

Last edited:
Another good example.

One of my lifters Alex was all teary eyed when he left to go study in Perth. He managed to gain 12cm n his vertical jump in 9 weeks.

First thing he asked before even moving was is there a ptc in Perth so he could train there as he had hated commercial gyms.

Now if ptc Perth was open....

Last edited: