• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PTC, do I stay or do I go?

Good point ^

They sound like idiots markos. As already stated there are many of us who want to train there from different states and these guys live down the road.

Because they don't want it you won't see dedication and I can tell it will get to you in the end.

However that means more time for you to focus on real clients and not idiot footballers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Footballers need to become footballers again, not fvcking marathon runners.
Posted via Mobile Device

I heard somewere that AFL players can run up to 15km a game would that be accuarate???, they would need to be uper fit,, wouldnt extra mass make that harder..

I have read that several of the league players that are defecting to afl will need to loose bulk weight, up to 20kg!!! so they can run around disorientated like...

Maybe PTC would get more satisfaction training NRL players, they need to be monsters.

Would it be so hard to grab the squat stands, a few bb and the plates, and a few ketttle bells and rock up every once a week just to see what you can acheive with them on a few occasions, see if there is any interest from the players to participate or if they will just be softcockinit. maybe take a few boys from PTC to help show them the ropes and to train amongst them so they can see what is possible. Watching strong people encourages most.

It would allow you to see what more of the players are cabable of, and it may show simon that he is wasting your time, BUT atleast you have gone out of your way to help, so you can comfortably say its a waste of my time effort and expertise, if that happens to be the case.

Honestly What you have in your garage sounds awsome, it sounds like a great community of like minded individuals working together, to help and encourage each other.. I cant help but think that a bunch of footyplayers, forced to be there would be a cancer that may slowly rot what you have built up over the years...You have already said that most of them CBFd!

I think deep down you've already made the decision Markos. It seems you want to take this next step.

The garage is great, the garage carries much of PTC's nostalgia. The garage it seems, is where it all took off. But for yourself, and your family - I think this would be a great opportunity. Money isn't everything, and I definitely wouldn't use that as a sole motivator - but I guess it'll make it easier to keep meals on the table, bills paid - and to enjoy the finer things in life (amongst expanding your business, and helping a lot of others).

If there's one thing i've learned over the last 10 years - being big & strong ain't cheap. :cool:

I heard somewere that AFL players can run up to 15km a game would that be accuarate???, they would need to be uper fit,, wouldnt extra mass make that harder..

I have read that several of the league players that are defecting to afl will need to loose bulk weight, up to 20kg!!! so they can run around disorientated like...

Maybe PTC would get more satisfaction training NRL players, they need to be monsters.

I think the 15km figure is right, depending on the position they play. But most of the running is sprints, not LSD.

There are lots of weedy 18-20 year olds that are 180cm plus and 70 something kg. They should still be able to run with 10kg more muscle on them, and you don't need to become a 120kg beast to get stronger.

I dunno, I'm not anywhere near qualified to train AFL players (or anyone really) but when you see your team constantly doing hammies and other soft tissue injuries, and when you hear everyone go on about how well that new recruit will do with some more kg's on his body but it takes then a few years to put on 5-10kg you know what the solution should be.

Sounds like the footy coach needs to take control of his team.

Show up to training - whether it be skills, strength or whatever - or you're on the bench. On the bench long enough, you're off the team.

Are they paid or volunteers? If volunteers, there'll be plenty to replace them. If paid, well same as any other job - do as you're told or you're out.

Last edited:
Sounds like the footy coach needs to take control of his team.

Show up to training - whether it be skills, strength or whatever - or you're on the bench. On the bench long enough, you're off the team.

Didn't think of that...

I suppose the question is why are they not coming? Do they think they know everything? You need to get max and Nina to show them up to stir their egos I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think the 15km figure is right, depending on the position they play. But most of the running is sprints, not LSD.

There are lots of weedy 18-20 year olds that are 180cm plus and 70 something kg. They should still be able to run with 10kg more muscle on them, and you don't need to become a 120kg beast to get stronger.

Very much agree. Kids are taught long runs are best why would they think different. Kids also want to do what the other kids are doing so you get the individuals who will come and lift properly with Markos and the rest go bench at the local gym and run 10kms.
Posted via Mobile Device

NO footballer is now asked to run more than 3km at training, I went over this with Simon and his staff. I asked if the players could run the 5km here, they told me no 5km runs.

Running is all done in bursts, hence the high numbers of interchanges.

Kyle, they are well paid, between $500 and $1000 per game. My mate was making $750 a week there 20 years ago

NO footballer is now asked to run more than 3km at training, I went over this with Simon and his staff. I asked if the players could run the 5km here, they told me no 5km runs.

Running is all done in bursts, hence the high numbers of interchanges.

Kyle, they are well paid, between $500 and $1000 per game. My mate was making $750 a week there 20 years ago

Time for a new HR manager for the team.

If you have any info on what they do conditioning wise in training it would be great if you could put it up in your other thread. Compare your methods to their coaches.
Posted via Mobile Device

I cant explain in words how weak and unfit their players are.

I've had their best athlete at PTC once, he never came back as he couldnt walk, he is going to be drafted.

He does the 20m in 2.94 and has a 13.4 beep test, his lifting is novice standard, cant squat or bench 80kg.

I'm not all that interested in what they do looking at those numbers, I've also seen their "equipment".

I assume they have contracts. If so I doubt there is a "you must visit PTC" clause. I bet they are contracted to attend training (specified), games and official functions. They would probably crack it if another training session was included.

Sounds like poor work ethic throughout the club. How long have the coaches been employed? It is hard to change club culture especially by an outsider with no real authority besides what you have in your gym.
Posted via Mobile Device

In all fairness, they are on their break till this Wednesday, we'll see how they go from then.

Simon makes a lot of excuses for them, I keep reminding him they finished stone motherless last.

In all fairness, they are on their break till this Wednesday, we'll see how they go from then.

Simon makes a lot of excuses for them, I keep reminding him they finished stone motherless last.

They obviously read your posts and are simply resting on their rest days so they can train hard in the gym :D

Will be interesting to see if they switch on for the season.

There would be something in their contracts about maintaining a particular level of "fitness", with "fitness" being defined by the coach of the day. I mean, that's how they get the AFL guys for knocking back recreational drugs in their own time. So the coach could say, "you must bench X, squat Y and deadlift Z," or whatever, "where you train for that is up to you, but here is our gym and S&C coach for your free use at these times."

You're right, an outsider couldn't do it. But their own team coach could.

I would say, go there, start training people. Some of the team members will come around, those guys will become stronger, perform better on the field. The rest of them will then either get motivated and work harder, or give up and quit, making way for someone better.

This would be a real pain in the bum to go through. Just goes to show, even when things are "free" there's a price to pay. I don't think I could be bothered with it, but that's me, Markos is a very different and more determined man. He's probably taking the right approach in saying there must be X guys show up for training over the next couple of weeks before he'll do it. That'd not be the only fight to get through, though, there'd be more to come.

perhaps strength is not that important to AFL.

It's seems that the players don't place much value on strength training. Once you convince them of the value, your golden

Collingwood do, they train under a couple of powerlifters, and look where they finished, #1 in the premier football competition in Australia.

Collingwood do, they train under a couple of powerlifters, and look where they finished, #1 in the premier football competition in Australia.

Martyn Girvan, would love to learn under him at Apollo Gym.