• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting and vegetarians?

What made you go back to meat etc? Was it difficult after 30 years without it?

It took me a couple of years to be honest.
The hardest part was actually being able to digest it so really small amounts to start with.

i still don't eat red meat. I kept trying to eat it in different ways, got my mum to cook it (she's a great cook) and still ...UGH sorry the taste and texture just doesn't cut it with me.

But I'm eating pork and lots of fish and I sometimes eat chicken. I've even eaten giblets LOL

I started out with tuna and prosciutto crudo and got used to these first.
I even eat prawns and I've never liked them in my whole life but I really do now.

I initially became vegetarian because i just went off meat and a few years later went off fish. But I also had ethical reasons for it so i think it was a combination of the two.

But for years I was always anaemic and my B12 levels actually got so low it was scary despite the fact I was ovo-lacto veg.
So eventually, it was a health decision. i don't have low iron or B12 levels anymore and I feel much better.

Plus I have fructose/fructan intolerance so half the fruit, veg and some legumes were taken off my diet ... I was frankly afraid i was going to fade away :eek:

Fleisch to the rescue :cool:

wow, an Italian vegetarian. That must be a small club...:D

lol visiting rellies in italy was hilarious... oh you don't eat meat, ok I made pasta with ragu :eek:

especially where my father's family comes from up in the alps....all they eat is pork, cheese, potatoes, pork, prosciutto, speck, pork ... :p

lol visiting rellies in italy was hilarious... oh you don't eat meat, ok I made pasta with ragu :eek:

especially where my father's family comes from up in the alps....all they eat is pork, cheese, potatoes, pork, prosciutto, speck, pork ... :p

and will probably outlive most of us.

I don't eat red meat, bacon or processed meat, moreso for health reasons that anything else i would say.

A mostly vegetable diet with small portions of fish and lean meat is the healthiest of all the diet types (think mediterranean/asian style).

You can be vego and be a powerlifter, you just can't be a super heavy weight, you just have to be smarter than the meat eaters ;).

Good article Wingers. That reminds me, the brain needs creatine, or at least studies have shown an improvement in memory and intelligence from creatine supplementation for vegetarians.

No meat no nature sources of creatine - right?

Good article Wingers. That reminds me, the brain needs creatine, or at least studies have shown an improvement in memory and intelligence from creatine supplementation for vegetarians.

Pretty sure red meat is the only source, happy to be corrected.

I was vegetarian for about 7 years. The extent of my exercise was aerobics and Les Mills but held up fine.

Remember that you should not muddle up VEGETARIAN with VEGAN.

I have never been vegan but was vegetarian...still eating dairy and eggs.

two very different regimes.

but like Kaz, i did cardio and resistance training during that time. I gained bone mass and a little LBM too. But yes, it was VERY SLOW even compared with now.

Some athletes try it, but the knock seems to be gaining size and maintaining whilst a vegie.

I'm certaintly not sold - humans have K9 teeth. Evolution says we aren't vegies.

Ironically, it was evolution through eating meat that gave these 'vegetarians' the ability to choose to not eat meat

Pretty sure red meat is the only source, happy to be corrected.

here's a good info article on creatine, with the excerpt on food sources:

Dietary Sources:

About half of the creatine in our bodies is made from other amino acids in the liver, kidney, and pancreas. The other half comes from foods we eat. Wild game is considered to be the richest source of creatine, but lean red meat and fish (particularly herring, salmon, and tuna) are also good sources.

Source: Creatine

I think the reason you don't see many strong vegetarians or vegans is because of the tiny number of them who actually train. First look at the percentage of the population that is vegetarian, then the percentage of those people who actually exercise, then out of that tiny number of people look at those who lift weights, then from that even smaller group of people look at those who actually train to get stronger.. Obviously there's not going to be many.

Wouldn't be Friuli by chance? Cause that, along with some polenta, sounds like Sunday at Nonna's to me :D

I think it's great when people choose to go vego for ethical or their own personal reasons. But when they preach, and tout the benefits of their lifestyle to dissuade me from my own it really bugs me.

Here's that same guy Oni. Level of ignorance = mind blowing.

[ame=http://youtu.be/CnDqLgFjLCI]TMW Hodgetwins vs The Durianrider Fake creatine muscle vs REAL muscle strength - YouTube[/ame]