• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting and vegetarians?

harry1970

Elegantly Wasted
This thread comes from watching Peter Siddle bowl 60 odd overs during the Adelaide test and backing up in 3 days to bowl at Perth. Watching him bowl and give everything on the last day made me wonder about his diet.

For those who don't know Siddle is a vegetarian, so can someone whose job it is to be strong maintain or gain strength while being vegetarian?

Of course he could get his protein from milk, eggs, powder, beans etc, and assuming he isn't vegan some vegetarians will eat seafood also. I've discounted tofu because it is shit and I wouldn't expect anyone to fucking eat fucking tofu....

From a powerlifting point of view I wanted to know if any of you are vegetarian ? Do you maintain or improve muscle mass and strength?

I would think it could be done but you would have to watch your macros very closely and constantly check if you're getting enough protein.

of course you can lol
it is pretty easy to be vego and get in enough calories and protein

Don't know about PL but there is a bloody big bodybuilder down south somewhere who is a vegetarian. I think he did the pro qualifier in the last couple of years but that could be wrong.

Siddle has only taken it up this year. Don't quite understand how he thinks he will be fitter or stronger as a vego but hey let him do what he wants to do.

Vegetarians are the cruelest people on earth. They refuse to eat anything that had a chance to run away.

protein, carbs and fats are part of a vegetarian diet just as in an omnivorous diet no difference in the calories or macros just different foods

Siddle has only taken it up this year. Don't quite understand how he thinks he will be fitter or stronger as a vego but hey let him do what he wants to do.

i could be wrong but i thought i heard he had turned vegan

Some athletes try it, but the knock seems to be gaining size and maintaining whilst a vegie.

I'm certaintly not sold - humans have K9 teeth. Evolution says we aren't vegies.

Don't know about PL but there is a bloody big bodybuilder down south somewhere who is a vegetarian. I think he did the pro qualifier in the last couple of years but that could be wrong.

Vegetarians are the cruelest people on earth. They refuse to eat anything that had a chance to run away.

He has lost a built of bulk I have noticed...

of course you can lol
it is pretty easy to be vego and get in enough calories and protein

This is true for a person who weighs 70kg with a deskjob. For a 95kg person with a manual job and equivolent training routine not so much.

Difference is probably about 1000-1200 calories.

tumblr_lxwgbr54Y31qj26eao1_400.jpg

I was vegetarian for 30 years (not vegan).

you can get all your macronutriets etc and you can certainly get plenty of kcals. In fact, vegetarian can be damned unhealthy if you don't eat right as well.

You do need to understand which foods and how much you need for protein though. Other than that, it's pretty easy.

If you can't or won't have dairy you really need to watch your B12 levels and iron though.

from personal experience I have noticed a lot of vegetarians replace meat with sugar. Having said that there are unhealthy meat eaters and unhealthy vegetarians.

Would be keen to know the experience of any veggies in terms of maintainence or increase in muscle mass.

It's easy to get calories in with vegetarian food
When people were giving me snack ideas for work it was all vegetarian shit. Nuts mainly
Gladiators were put on vegetarian diets for the purpose of gaining weight.

I was vegetarian for 30 years (not vegan).

you can get all your macronutriets etc and you can certainly get plenty of kcals. In fact, vegetarian can be damned unhealthy if you don't eat right as well.

You do need to understand which foods and how much you need for protein though. Other than that, it's pretty easy.

If you can't or won't have dairy you really need to watch your B12 levels and iron though.

What made you go back to meat etc? Was it difficult after 30 years without it?

My girlfriend is a vegetarian.. except for free range bacon, fish, kangaroo and very occasional free range chicken. (Environmental and ethical reasons for her)... I was quite surprised the first time i saw her eat bacon :)

My girlfriend is a vegetarian.. except for free range bacon, fish, kangaroo and very occasional free range chicken. (Environmental and ethical reasons for her)... I was quite surprised the first time i saw her eat bacon :)

See, that I can understand, it's when Vegos play the 'health' card that it gets stupid.

Vegos playing the health card never fails to rustle my jimmies
At work there is this vegan ****** who works once a week and always blogs about his diet and how awesome it is. I called him out on it and my bloods were better than his, I look better than him and I am stronger than him as he doesn't even lift. He still acts holier than thou about it though will all his PETA shit but at least he doesn't play the health card