• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerbuilding Routines

The 'Burn' rep at the end of all that is something different to keep you interested! Fair bit of volume in it as well.

sure its not to get the muscle doing something different at the end and to flush that body part with blood at the end?

Here is what I did to prep for my recent powerlifting meet which is in August

Monday:
Squat - 5x8,
High Bar Paused Squat - 5x5
Hamstrings

Wednesday:
Squat - 5x5 fast
Front Squat - 5x8
Bench: 6-10 sets of 3-6 reps
Rear delts

Thursday:
Deadlift - 5x8
Deficit Deadlift - 5x5

Friday:
Bench - 6-10 sets of 3-6 reps
Incline Dumbbell Bench - 4 sets 6-20 reps
Reverse Grip Bench - 4 sets 6-20 reps
Dips - 4 sets of 6-8 reps
Triceps pushdowns - 5 sets of 10 paused
Skullcrushers - 4 sets of 12-20 reps

Saturday:
Dumbbell rows - 50kg bell for 30-50 reps
Pulldowns - 4 sets of 10-12 reps
Curls - empty bar for 60-100 reps

n680oj.jpg

Nice split Poni, but that's a 5 day split, its looks nothing like P.H.U.L., not a lot like P.H.A.T. either

PHUL makes me sick inside, not because there's anything wrong with it, but because it's just PHAT by another name.

one thing that seems to occur a lot on boards is people trying to butcher P.H.A.T. so they can do it over 4 days. I think P.H.U.L. fills that "market".

Last edited:
Here is what I did to prep for my recent powerlifting meet which is in August

Monday:
Squat - 5x8,
High Bar Paused Squat - 5x5
Hamstrings

Wednesday:
Squat - 5x5 fast
Front Squat - 5x8
Bench: 6-10 sets of 3-6 reps
Rear delts

Thursday:
Deadlift - 5x8
Deficit Deadlift - 5x5

Friday:
Bench - 6-10 sets of 3-6 reps
Incline Dumbbell Bench - 4 sets 6-20 reps
Reverse Grip Bench - 4 sets 6-20 reps
Dips - 4 sets of 6-8 reps
Skullcrushers - 4 sets of 12-20 reps

Saturday:
Dumbbell rows - 50kg bell for 30-50 reps
Pulldowns - 4 sets of 10-12 reps
Curls - empty bar for 60-100 reps

n680oj.jpg

And you say don't follow layne Norton because he looks like shit. Ok.

[MENTION=16564]SydVicious[/MENTION]; you've run it???

Good routine? Steve Shaw seems pretty smart.

@SydVicious ; you've run it???

Good routine? Steve Shaw seems pretty smart.

I think Steve Shaw's lifts are proof in the pudding that his program is decent!

Apologies if you read my post wrong, I wasn't criticising it at all!

I haven't run a 4 day program yet, planning to hit that once footy season is over.

I think Steve Shaw's lifts are proof in the pudding that his program is decent!

Apologies if you read my post wrong, I wasn't criticising it at all!

I haven't run a 4 day program yet, planning to hit that once footy season is over.

all good. I didn't think you were criticizing, I was just asking if you'd tried it and gotten good results or not.

Yep, Steve Shaw does seem to know some from what I've seen. :)

all good. I didn't think you were criticizing, I was just asking if you'd tried it and gotten good results or not.

Yep, Steve Shaw does seem to know some from what I've seen. :)

In all honesty I would probably struggle with volume in his program at the moment haha! But hey, not going to progress without pushing it!

Will be interested to hear of your results if you decide to run it.

I have heard of people getting good results out of PHAT as well.

Stiffy have you looked at some of the other 5/3/1 variants like Periodization Bible and Triumvirate?

34 I had to go and look :rolleyes:

over the years, what has been the best type workout for you?

From a BB perspective, that last Push Pull Legs routine I ran. But it left me feeling abit lethargic and tired even after 6-7 weeks of doing it.

Previously used to do 4 day Upper/Lower routine for about five years because it allowed me to do cardio etc on the off days. I seem to respond well to cardio, it gives me a lot of energy throughout the day. Prior to that full body 3 x per week, for a lot of years lol.

If I had my way I'd run full body routines 3 x week, if I could make them work well enough.

Last edited:
I think the majority of good powerlifting programs are really "powerbuilding". You have your lower rep "strength" stuff on your big compound lifts. Then you do some assistance stuff (could be compound or isolation or both) in the higher rep ranges. That is how all of the programs I've done have been structured (except sheiko I guess).

I don't think it's always the case for a bb routine though. PLENTY of people I know will never venture lower lower than 10 reps for some reason.