• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerbuilding Routines

S

Stiffy

Anyone know of any good "Powerbuilding" routines.

Only ones I know of that have a good reputation are P.H.A.T. and 5/3/1 Boring But Big. Then theres a few lesser known ones such as Steve Shaw's, Mike O'Hearns and Josh Bryants.

Inb4 - Powerbuilding, pffft too weak to be Powerlifters, too small to be Bodybuilders! :)

The way I see powerbuilding is just following routines that have strength as the main goal and then eat to maintain lowish body fat.

Can't you formulate your own?

that's what I have done previously by keeping the big 4 lifts to sets of 5 or less, the assistance work to 6-12 then isolations 12 and above.

But I was looking for pre written ones by "Experts".

Not sure then. Never really looked into it.
What's really is PB anyway? Getting bigger and stronger go hand in hand anyway.

Probably could just keep alternating between PHAT, 5/3/1 BBB and Steve Shaw's Power Muscle Burn for the rest of my life I guess ;)

The way I see powerbuilding is just following routines that have strength as the main goal and then eat to maintain lowish body fat.

after a bit of Googling I understand your point Baz. Just read where someone said Ed Coan and Bill Kazmaier trained in a "Powerbuilding fashion".

Powerlifters aren't gonna like that !!! :D

Theres also this one by a different dude.

P.H.U.L.

Day 1
Upper Power

Barbell Bench Press 3-4 3-5
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 3-4 6-10
Bent Over Row 3-4 3-5
Lat Pull Down 3-4 6-10
Overhead Press 2-3 5-8
Barbell Curl 2-3 6-10
Skullcrusher 2-3 6-10

Day 2
Lower Power

Squat 3-4 3-5
Deadlift 3-4 3-5
Leg Press 3-5 10-15
Leg Curl 3-4 6-10
Calf Exercise 4 6-10

Day 3 Rest

Day 4
Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Barbell Bench Press 3-4 8-12
Flat Bench Dumbbell Flye 3-4 8-12
Seated Cable Row 3-4 8-12
One Arm Dumbbell Row 3-4 8-12
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3-4 8-12
Seated Incline Dumbbell Curl 3-4 8-12
Cable Tricep Extension 3-4 8-12

Day 5
Lower Hypertrophy

Front Squat 3-4 8-12
Barbell Lunge 3-4 8-12
Leg Extension 3-4 10-15
Leg Curl 3-4 10-15
Seated Calf Raise 3-4 8-12
Calf Press 3-4 8-12

Or Mike O'Hearn's

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mike-ohearn/power-bodybuilding/12-week-program.html

Looks exactly the same as nearly every other powerlifting or bodybuilding program I've seen
What am I missing?

Looks exactly the same as nearly every other powerlifting or bodybuilding program I've seen
What am I missing?

Don't think too many Bodybuilding routines want you to do 7 sets of 2 rep Deadlifts

or Powerlifting routines wanting you to do 40 reps, Flyes, Rows, Leg Presses, Leg Curls, Shrugs, Curls, Triceps Ext's and Laterals.

DC Training and 5/3/1 both have templates that do both those things you just mentioned
Did you make this thread just to rustle me LPS?
Is that the game here?

Get stronger with reps and you win

DC Training and 5/3/1 both have templates that do both those things you just mentioned
Did you make this thread just to rustle me LPS?
Is that the game here?

Get stronger with reps and you win

DoggCrapp Training gets ridiculed abit doesn't it, I've forgotten its format now.

I mentioned 5/3/1 BBB earlier, but I prefer the looks of the other ones actually.

Did I post this thread to rustle you? Lol. Why would I try to rustle you mate, I'm one of your biggest fans!

You think PHAT is the best? Followed by 5/3/1 BBB and Mike O'Hearns???

I don't like Layne Norton at all, I don’t care if hes natural or not, I don’t care how he explains his gyno, he looks like garbage either way, he looks like absolute shit 11 months out of a year.the guys form on squats is how you do a good morning, look at his followers , just don’t bother with him.He looks like shit and therefore can only teach you how to do the same.
If your neighbour buys crocodile as pet,starts meth for fun,and jumps off a clif, doesn’t mean you gotta do that too.

The 'Burn' rep at the end of all that is something different to keep you interested! Fair bit of volume in it as well.

I don't mind the look of Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Program to be honest, planning on starting that mid Sept... but once again is just another 4 day push/pull program. As long as you progress in weight and constantly push yourself I am sure 99% of programs will give you what you want.

Here is what I did to prep for my recent powerlifting meet which is in August

Monday:
Squat - 5x8,
High Bar Paused Squat - 5x5
Hamstrings

Wednesday:
Squat - 5x5 fast
Front Squat - 5x8
Bench: 6-10 sets of 3-6 reps
Rear delts

Thursday:
Deadlift - 5x8
Deficit Deadlift - 5x5

Friday:
Bench - 6-10 sets of 3-6 reps
Incline Dumbbell Bench - 4 sets 6-20 reps
Reverse Grip Bench - 4 sets 6-20 reps
Dips - 4 sets of 6-8 reps
Triceps pushdowns - 5 sets of 10 paused
Skullcrushers - 4 sets of 12-20 reps

Saturday:
Dumbbell rows - 50kg bell for 30-50 reps
Pulldowns - 4 sets of 10-12 reps
Curls - empty bar for 60-100 reps
Triceps pushdowns - 5 sets of 10 paused

n680oj.jpg

Theres also this one by a different dude.

P.H.U.L.

Day 1
Upper Power

Barbell Bench Press 3-4 3-5
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 3-4 6-10
Bent Over Row 3-4 3-5
Lat Pull Down 3-4 6-10
Overhead Press 2-3 5-8
Barbell Curl 2-3 6-10
Skullcrusher 2-3 6-10

Day 2
Lower Power

Squat 3-4 3-5
Deadlift 3-4 3-5
Leg Press 3-5 10-15
Leg Curl 3-4 6-10
Calf Exercise 4 6-10

Day 3 Rest

Day 4
Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Barbell Bench Press 3-4 8-12
Flat Bench Dumbbell Flye 3-4 8-12
Seated Cable Row 3-4 8-12
One Arm Dumbbell Row 3-4 8-12
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3-4 8-12
Seated Incline Dumbbell Curl 3-4 8-12
Cable Tricep Extension 3-4 8-12

Day 5
Lower Hypertrophy

Front Squat 3-4 8-12
Barbell Lunge 3-4 8-12
Leg Extension 3-4 10-15
Leg Curl 3-4 10-15
Seated Calf Raise 3-4 8-12
Calf Press 3-4 8-12

Or Mike O'Hearn's

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mike-ohearn/power-bodybuilding/12-week-program.html
PHUL makes me sick inside, not because there's anything wrong with it, but because it's just PHAT by another name.