• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Posterior Chain

kaz

iLift
Today I was told my glutes are too strong for my posterior chain, my lower lumber is my weak point.
Thoughts on assistance/correction?

Back extensions, in maybe two or three sets, two or three times a week?

I'm no expert, but I do that exercise, and I'm about as certain as I can be that they've helped so far.

I stopped Good Mornings about June but worth putting back into this current program.
I have a GHD and can do Hypers as an option....?

I think it was Goosey who posted a while back an exercise he came up with where you get into the bottom position of an RDL as the top of the exercise, and then round your lower back as the eccentric, and extend the lower back until back into RDL position as the concentric. Sounds like a good one to me.

(My apologies if I've credited the wrong member or given a piss-poor explanation.)

I personally would prefer a girl to need extra resistance on donkey calf raises and glute bridges but that's just me!

Come on Kaz you already know the answer to this

Lots of reps on whatever your favourite exercise is, taking the target muscle through a full range of motion

It's pretty individual to find an exercise you masochistically enjoy. For me it was UDLs. I hate the everloving shit out of good mornings and that stupid back raise bench but UDL is a good time

I like UDL's but I think Good Mornings will be more practical for me. Plus they target dem hammies!:p

Good exercise dude but the focus is on thoracic extension rather than lumbar. Trying to get bigger bands around your torso on that is one of the most annoying things I know of.

Today I was told my glutes are too strong for my posterior chain, my lower lumber is my weak point.
Thoughts on assistance/correction?

Well that's a imbalance you don't hear every day lol. But certainly a better one to have. Do you mind if I ask who told you this?

I'm assuming from the profile pic you pull sumo? If yes then adding in some sets conventional could help.

Other exercises: Barbell Good mornings (standing or seated), Band Good mornings (with or without Barbell), RDL's, reverse hyper extensions and back extensions. I say back extensions not hyper extensions because to keep focus on the erectors don't come all the way up to parallel.

Just a little test before you start the lower back bombardment, do an isometric hold of a back extension and see how long you can stay at parallel ish. Making sure that if you use a GHR, not too much of your thigh is resting on the pad, that makes it easier.

Find and exercise that extends and contracts the lumbar without placing load on it.
Ham is close.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4p9caSKR38&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Officially Fit - Low Back Machine - YouTube[/ame]

Side bends are also a good adjunct

Get it right and you won't require much weight and time under tension.

2 people at my coach course, a sports sciences person and the head coach/facilitator, Tim. Both agreed lumbar issues.

Yep, Sumo squatter :)

Thanks Bams, good info.
Will try and see what works for me :)

SLDL's and good mornings are NOT lower back exercises.

At no point in my comment did I mention Stiff Legged DeadLift's, I mentioned Romanian DeadLifts. As I recently said in another thread, they are two similar yet subtly different exercises.

SLDL's keep the legs completely perpendicular to the floor, hence the name STIFF, with no movement of the hips to the rear and acting only as a pivot. Weight is shifted toward the balls of the feet.

RDL's, the hips are pushed as far back as possible without loss of balance. Weight is on your heels.

Good mornings ARE a lower back exercise that isometrically contract the erector spinae muscle in order to maintain correct posture. No they are not producing the primary forces involded in moving the weight, the glutes and hamstrings are responsible there.

"Spine health isn't about making your back muscles stronger or more flexible", "It's about training them to maintain the strength they have over long periods of time." Dr Stuart McGill, Professor of Spinal Biomechanics and a leading reseacher in the field.

Just out of curiousity, how many of those low back machines exist and are available to the public in a commerical setting?

What about doing some conventional pulls for reps work instead of sumo? Higher recruitment/workload for the lumber region methinks.