• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PA Nationals - Land of the Pharaohs

Was good seeing a few people here at the PA Nat yesterday. Markos is skinnier and less scary than I thought but is the same smart ass you expect of him on the forums. :D

The "skinny" impression I have of Markos is probably due to the venue. I'm 171cm, 80kg, not exactly a skinny guy and would be classified as "obese" if you go by BMI. At the venue, guys my height are usually 100kg meatheads, some even heavier! I feel really slim for the first time in my life. :p

Sat next to Greg & his mate for most of the afternoon & night. Cool - and very strong - fellas.

Most testosterone filled venue you can find. If you just sit there for an afternoon, your voice will deepen, your lifts will go up and you'll probably fail PA drug tests!

The 67.5 and 82.5 classes were very competitive. They have the most competitors and some were quite close after getting a subtotal, which resulted in a few insane 3rd deadlift attempts to win the comp.

Most impressive lifts I saw:

- A few blind lifters moving some unbelievable weights.
- A very old 75kg class lifter (I think he has to be at least 75 y.o?) deadlifting around 250kg.
- Another very old lifter in the 82.5kg class (Wim is his name) setting world records for over 70 years old in the squat (230-something) and deadlift (240?). He's quite a character. He was having a chat & a laugh with the lady judge while doing his opener! And went "this is too bloody heavy!" with a grin before breaking the world record for the second time (first time he forgot to inform the judges so it didn't count).
- Simon Chan (82.5 class) opening with 255kg deadlift. He got 270 in the 2nd attempt but couldn't get the 282.5 to win it. Good shot though.
- Jeremy Cocks (90kg class) from Perth benched RAW 150kg. He's a very impressive junior. Had he used a shirt, I think he would've won it.
- Jeremy Cocks deadlifted 275kg with ease. Had a go at 302.5kg to win the comp and set the Aus & Oceania record, got it to over his knees but dropped it. :( If he'd had a higher subtotal, I think he could've pulled 290kg and won it.

Other bits:

- Everyone's favourite lifter is a little Japanese guy named Yoji. Had awesome battle cry :D He really livened up the first half of the afternoon, which was fairly quiet, like a church, or conference.

- Some lifters selected too heavy openers, I feel, and subsequently struggled or even bombed.

Thanks for the mention mate,

I went 255kg, 150kg, 270kg, for a 675kg total and 2nd place in the 82.5's. Pretty good day.

I train with Yoji and he sure is a funny character and a great guy, his last comp in Australia this was, as he is getting kicked out - after living here for close to 10 years. It's a shame, and very sad to see him go.

Great work simon! Thats some very impressive lifting mate.

Wish I lived down that way, sounds like it would have been a good event to watch.

Thats sensational lifting Simon.

When one of you guys get the chance, can you post up other ausbb members lifts/totals

I laid low a little sat as I was still feeling a little crook from the gastro I had late last week. The heavy classes went off. Some great lifting. Dave Jame, Richie and Tim put on an awesome battle in the 100s, class lifting in the 110s as well with Macmad, Jonnie and Chris. I don't think I have been in a flight with as many 300+ squats and deadlifts since the worlds. Jonnie has mind boggling potential. The fight for best lifter for the mens competition all came down to the deadlifts in this flight. Chris, Richie and myself all going over 520wilks. I think they way it fell in the end was 524 for Chris, 531 for Richie and 535 for me. Chris C squatted 345@110, Dave Jame 330kg@100.
I went 8 from 9 with 375 squat, 270 bench, 295 deadlift. I opted to deadlift without a suit- just softsuit and belt.

I was helping out all of Saturday (from 7.30am to 11pm - pretty tiring!) and got to see some great lifting from both the women and men, and all different shapes and sizes.

Congrats Simon. The battle between you and Chris was great. It was always going to be close. You almost had him on the deadlift. You're only 25 off Richie's deadlift record now!

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it on Sunday for family reasons - so sorry I missed out on the epic battle.

Congrats, SP on your results. For those that don't know, that is an all-time (tested) Australian squat record for under 125 and total record in any weight division. Magnificent result, but came as no surprise to those who been watching him lift this year ;)

It should also be mentioned, because SP is too humble to say himself, that he has to deadlift with a hook grip due to injury. Gripping 295kg with a hook grip is a feat in itself.

Last edited:
Steve, seriously, 940kg with a raw deadlift and a hook grip, WTF lol

To all you guys, brilliant effort.

Some sick lifting went on at the nats. Some really really good lifts from the women aswell. Pritchard, jame and seville are all sick puppies it was orsm.

I dont think ive ever been so happy to see Markos' face when i saw him and Max on Sat. Sunday was really good man should have came, Shaun Bostock is one of the funniest dudes ive ever met.

I coach basketball on Sundays, I wouldve love to see the big boys lift.

You know your going to have to total 850kg plus now Gawain.

Nice to have you on here too big fella, damn this forums got some strong guys

It was a great day on Sunday and to be lifting with the calibre of lifters in the session was inspiring....

Personally I have mixed emotions about my result some smarter attempts in squat, in particular my final attempt of 360, would have seen a bigger total. I went 5/9 with 330/185/305 @ 105.6 (from memory) so still managed a 55kg pb and totaled over 800 which I am happy with.

It was great to meet both Markos and Max on the Saturday.

Got down there today. I met dancelot in the crowd, nice guy.

Macmad and Nathan Jones came up and introduced themselves, I watched Dan lift, strong boy, Simon kept spitting in a bin trying to get his weight down, Shorty did well in the squats, I spotted Steve, he was busy so I didnt bother him.

the comp seemed to run very smoothly. It was good to meet some of you today.
I would have come up and introduced myself PTC but i dont know what you look like. Hope you had a great day.

You were busy big fella, I watched you lift, nice work.

You guys all did an excellent job, very strong.

From what I can gather, most of you guys hit PB's on the biggest show of the year. Thats excellent.

How did Paul go?

oh yeah Mac (Paul) didn't have the best day due to the flu but still put in a gallant effort..I'll let him expand on that

Come on Paul, spill the beans.

I too wonder sometimes if Max is mine lol

Every time I see him bench I doubt it

He doesnt read this so I can get away with that

It was a great day on Sunday and to be lifting with the calibre of lifters in the session was inspiring....

Personally I have mixed emotions about my result some smarter attempts in squat, in particular my final attempt of 360, would have seen a bigger total. I went 5/9 with 330/185/305 @ 105.6 (from memory) so still managed a 55kg pb and totaled over 800 which I am happy with.

It was great to meet both Markos and Max on the Saturday.

Do you have videos of your lifts- I'd love to see them. I only managed to see the deadlifts. You are more than capable of a 360 squat and sometimes you have to take a weight for a ride so that next time you can own it.

Cheers for that.

Interestingly enough, you guys had 91 lifters, exactly the same number listed for the CAPO Nats. This is a very good result for powerlifting in Australia.

I seriously doubt we've had 182 compete at the 2 Nats in the same year before.

Some very, very impressive numbers there. Paul did really well, as did Daniel, Simon, Nathan and of course Steve. Pity about Shorty.

Yea it was a real shame about Raymond, we all got behind him on his final
attempt. But he was too drained his squats and bench was very strong!

Interestingly enough, you guys had 91 lifters, exactly the same number listed for the CAPO Nats. This is a very good result for powerlifting in Australia.

I seriously doubt we've had 182 compete at the 2 Nats in the same year before.

I agree, very good sign for the sport.

Also, in previous years there has been a novice comp run alongside nationals. This year there wasn't, other than a short flight of lifters for the intervarsity comp. if you take out the 8 lifters in the intervarsity session, 83 lifters had to qualify with a B grade, in a year where the grades had all been revised and the qualification standard lifter. Makes the numbers even more impressive.

Very good depth of competition, particular in the 67s-82s, which can only be good for the sport.