• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I def agree that testing is getting better and there is more crack down on drug use - at an Elite level - though you never know if its better or worse - athletes are bigger, stronger, faster than ever before - yes training development, nutrition is better and that does play a big factor - but there are still things being developed that can not be tested for so really you can't say if drug use is down. I agree to focus on stopping drug use is up but drug use itself no1 knows if its up or down besides the people in the thick of it....

I def agree that testing is getting better and there is more crack down on drug use - at an Elite level - though you never know if its better or worse - athletes are bigger, stronger, faster than ever before - yes training development, nutrition is better and that does play a big factor - but there are still things being developed that can not be tested for so really you can't say if drug use is down. I agree to focus on stopping drug use is up but drug use itself no1 knows if its up or down besides the people in the thick of it....

Heard an interview from Lance Armstrong and he said due to the better testing these days it is now possible to win the Tour de France clean. 10 years ago, not a chance because everyone was on.

yes, some will always stay ahead of loop, but I would think percentage is getting smaller as cheating becomes harder.

I do believe, however, that any modern sport has to have a testing regime. there should also be an obligation of major sports to test a few lower rank athletes. I know there are many ordinary footballers who take gear with no fear of ever getting caught.

I also believe that some athletes are simply scared to take PED's these days due to the Armstrong style stories that have come out over the last 10 years.....

better intelligence and a desire to dig up dirt is also a deterrent. I think drug agencies, at least in some countries, have realised that tests alone are not answer.

Unless you are competing for 1st in a tested fed, why would you even care?

Not you vonfram, just in general.

Valid point. If I even bothered to step on the platform this century I couldn't care what "placing" I get. Powerlifting is a numpty game there will always be someone stronger or meaner who probably doesn't even lift. Plus all the Feds out there, what get passed by refs, it all takes away the lustre when many are still juiced, squats that are barely parallel get passed, benches are cheated, varying degrees of supportive equipment are used and popular media prints some bullshit about an AFL glam puss squatting 250kg.

whats intolerable are phonies/pussies making a living or deriving a benefit based around the use of illegal PED and the pressure it places on young athletes. There are some serious mental health issues brewing to go with the physical harm.

The PL total does not make a mean mother fucker. I am a mean motherfucker.

Valid point. If I even bothered to step on the platform this century I couldn't care what "placing" I get. Powerlifting is a numpty game there will always be someone stronger or meaner who probably doesn't even lift. Plus all the Feds out there, what get passed by refs, it all takes away the lustre when many are still juiced, squats that are barely parallel get passed, benches are cheated, varying degrees of supportive equipment are used and popular media prints some bullshit about an AFL glam puss squatting 250kg.

whats intolerable are phonies/pussies making a living or deriving a benefit based around the use of illegal PED and the pressure it places on young athletes. There are some serious mental health issues brewing to go with the physical harm.

The PL total does not make a mean mother fucker. I am a mean motherfucker.

I was going to say that other feds would probably be held in a higher regard if they drug tested and performed the lifts with the same judging and equipment; people go on about PA/IPF being 'boring', but IMO it's the closest and most legit way of making powerlifting a 'sport' rather than a 'spectacle' (think World's Strongest Man).

Either way, we're still a bunch of unfit weak slobs compared to Olympic lifters LOL

i don't know about that, some lifters with powerlifting background are clearly great athletes, and very powerful.

Zavickas for one.

i don't know about that, some lifters with powerlifting background are clearly great athletes, and very powerful.

Zavickas for one.

I'm not saying that they're not insanely strong - Big Z is a legend. But Strongman is unlikely to ever become a 'sport', it's more about entertainment.

i agree, i think strongman has better spectator appeal. If events are standardised, who knows how far it could go.

Fact is strongman already on US and European tv, where is powerlifting?

Strongman already has a place on TV. The average person already knows about it. It is something that is an actual watchable spectator sport. Can't say any of the same about PL.

Last edited:
powerlifting used to be on tv, saw it once on nine's wide world of sport.

Powerlifting won't ever go far on TV. It just isn't a spectacle. It's not impressive to the average joe.

A bloke deadlifting 400kg is an amazing feat but to average joe using fat bumper plates at the gym it looks like something that every bro deadlifting 200kg is doing.

Strongman with lifting cars and all the other impressive shit is something that people can relate to and be impressed by. Not to mention the head to head aspect of many strongman events.

Strongman already has a place on TV. The average person already knows about it. It is something that is an actual watchable spectator sport. Can't say any of the same about PL.

PL takes way too long, and you cant takes breaks.

For this reason, and this reason alone, PL will never get as far as SM.

The only thing I can see happening is a 30min highlight reel on ESPN or something.