• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Organic Almond Milk and Soy Milk

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
What are people's opinions on these two milk substitutes.

Personally I have never liked milk a lot, but it's ok.

I have always believed that soy products are not really designed for human consumption. But I have recently tried both soy and almond milk as my wife had bought some for her use.

I quite like the taste of both, and have used them to make protein shakes instead of using milk.

What are people's thoughts on either or both products from a general health perspective and from a body building and or weight loss/cutting perspective.

PS I use WPI pure protein powder.

Hi Big Mick,

I tried almond milk and thought it tasted ok. Maybe sweeter and not as almond flavoured as I would have liked though.

The thing i really noticed about the almond milk was that the nutrient content was alot lower than milk, even skim milk from memory. To me, it was basically flavoured water with some thickener and a greater price tag.

Hence, I don't think there is a particular benefit to having almond milk as a milk substitute or as a nutritional supplement. I would probably stick to WPI and water for this reason, in your situation, Big Mick.

Can't speak for soy milk!

I don't use soy as it makes me feel bloated and a bit nauseous.

I sometimes buy almond milk but usually make my own. I really like it. It's very light and it's got very little fat, mostly just carbs but not a lot and a smidge of protein. It's extremely healthy, particularly if you make it yourself as you soak the almonds overnight so it activates them (enzyme stuff).

I also sometimes use coconut milk, but it's not always easy to find the unsweetened milk. It's also really good, low in kcals, has some nutrients.

I prefer almond but it's really up to you.

I also use them in shakes with WPI as well as drinking it straight, chilled or using it to mix in proats or with micellar casein to make a pudding.

Fantastic.

Not as much protein as dairy but you're getting the protein from the WPI anyway :D

Hi Big Mick,

I tried almond milk and thought it tasted ok. Maybe sweeter and not as almond flavoured as I would have liked though.

The thing i really noticed about the almond milk was that the nutrient content was alot lower than milk, even skim milk from memory. To me, it was basically flavoured water with some thickener and a greater price tag.

Hence, I don't think there is a particular benefit to having almond milk as a milk substitute or as a nutritional supplement. I would probably stick to WPI and water for this reason, in your situation, Big Mick.

Can't speak for soy milk!

if you make your own almond milk, it's a whole different story :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just really like the taste of it, even with plain WPI.

Will have to have a look at the nutritional differences I think.

I am trying to lose body fat at the moment, so should look at the callories as well, hate WPI in water, but it can be done if you know what I mean. :)

Have not looked into it much myself yet, posted here first as I am about to head to work now, will look into it a bit more when I have some days off.

Mainly want people's opinions and experiences here.

if you make your own almond milk, it's a whole different story :)

Tell me more:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just really like the taste of it, even with plain WPI.

Will have to have a look at the nutritional differences I think.

I am trying to lose body fat at the moment, so should look at the callories as well, hate WPI in water, but it can be done if you know what I mean. :)

Have not looked into it much myself yet, posted here first as I am about to head to work now, will look into it a bit more when I have some days off.

Mainly want people's opinions and experiences here.

almond milk is good if you need a little carbs in the protein shake, which you would. It's expensive to buy though so making your own is much easier and cheaper.

link to the how to (bonus recipe at bottom of main post):
Almond Milk & Loaf … waste not, want not | Chocolate Chilli Mango

I'd rather die with a burger in my stomach than live eating tofu (or any other soy product).

I'd rather live with a hippo saliva riddled fork jammed into my eyeball, than be forced to eat tofu.....fuarrrrrrken bland kitchen sponge tasting waste of space.

I'd rather live with a hippo saliva riddled fork jammed into my eyeball, than be forced to eat tofu.....fuarrrrrrken bland kitchen sponge tasting waste of space.

you'd be cutting short your lifetime...the infection won't take long to set in ... ewwwwwwwwwwww

but yes, horrid spongy, bizarre foodstuff is tofu.

Consider also that soy products, including soy milk may reduce your testosterone level or increase estrogen levels depending on which study you read.
Obviously not a good thing I you're weight training/bodybuilding

Consider also that soy products, including soy milk may reduce your testosterone level or increase estrogen levels depending on which study you read.
Obviously not a good thing I you're weight training/bodybuilding

yeah, you know, if you really look at those studies and the ones that have been conducted properly...you'd have to consume a lot of soy for that to happen.

that said, soy milk sucks anyway :p

yeah, you know, if you really look at those studies and the ones that have been conducted properly...you'd have to consume a lot of soy for that to happen.

that said, soy milk sucks anyway :p

Exactly, unless soy is making up a massive percentage of your diet don't worry about it.

Which is why I said to consider it, who knows, the OP may like soy milk so much that he starts drinking gallons of it a day, then it's goodbye testicles and hello bitch tits!

Last edited:
Which is why I said to consider it, who knows, the OP may like soy milk so much that he starts drinking gallons of it a day, then it's goodbye testicles and hello bitch tits!

Well for starters soy milk tastes like shit so it's pretty self limiting in how much someone is going to drink.

Soy used as a protien supplement goes back as far back as the fifties, supposedly used by the elite but I doubt it.

A few big strong blokes back then but not built with soy.

Soy was cheaper to process than dairy.

The soy drinks don't taste as "woody" as they used to.
Real milk is a much better source of calcium. But if your body won't accept lactose, what are you going to do?

Some interesting comments.

Tofu is not the question here and it tasts like crap, and will not be eaten here.

Soy milk tasts better to me than standard dairy milk and so does almond milk....so at this stage been having it for the taste.

I am really over milk taste wise and have dreaded having my daily shake lately, soy and almond taste so much nicer, and it's easier to drink for me. I have never drank lots of milk (probably 400-500ml per day) have now replaced that with 250ml soy milk and 250ml almond milk.

Will look into the nutritional differences during the week to see what I will do long term.