• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

OHP from rack vs clean from floor

[YOUTUBE][ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs8svOg9c9o[/ame]

Thought this was worth putting up here 172kg on the bar, Hepburn did press 190kg in competition using this style.

Oni note the forearms are laid back with the bar resting on his chest, not so obvious in the close up but very noticeable in the shot from the crowd.

Maybe you can email Hepburn and tell him he is doing it wrong. He is dead but don't let that stop you.

Last edited:
I didnt say it was wrong can you not read or something?

Now again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't start the press on the shoulders. If you can get your forearms vertical with a close grip with the bar on your shoulders then do it. If you can't, don't.

What are you saying then?

It's okay I'll give you some time to find the 'correct' answer from a friend (by answer I mean cut & paste and by friend I mean strength blogger)

I'm saying that both methods are fine
I've said this a billion times in this thread

Stop worrying about stupid shit that doesn't even matter. Just keep your forearms vertical and you'll be in a good pressing position. Yes other positions are also strong and there are many different techniques you can use and I'm not saying that they are bad or wrong - but keeping your forearms vertical will always put you in a good position to press from

So glad l don't really give a shit about technique to this level... l doubt l even keep my foreams vertical... Just un rack the ****y thing and push it over my head with my feet together.... If i fail it all l need to do next time is be stronger, if a beginner like myself / 0ni fails an OHP its due to generally due to a lack of strength, not 'technique'.....

So glad l don't really give a shit about technique to this level... If i fail it all l need to do next time is be stronger, if a beginner like myself

Why not learn to do things properly from the beginning, and not make the same mistakes as everyone else tends do? Talk to any long-term lifter, their regret is always "I wish I did x y and z earlier"

Failing a lift is usually technique breakdown or poor programming, at any strength level.

0ni fails an OHP its due to generally due to a lack of strength, not 'technique'.....

Imagine if 0ni had shit technique, his pressing would be even weaker than it is :p

Why not learn to do things properly from the beginning, and not make the same mistakes as everyone else tends do? Talk to any long-term lifter, their regret is always "I wish I did x y and z earlier"

Failing a lift is usually technique breakdown or poor programming, at any strength level.

Imagine if 0ni had shit technique, his pressing would be even weaker than it is :p

In theory yeah... l know the 'basics' of the big 4 technique wise and thats good enough for me. l dont really care if my elbows aren't perfectly at 32.7 degrees during bench or anything like that though. l just lift weights because l enjoy it and so i don't top myself. l'm never going to get to the point of breaking records or anything and l dont plan / want to. Thing may change later (l doubt it, seriously) but for now im happy just plodding along adding 'x' to each lift here and there.

Hepburn's lift, bloody impressive and quite strict compared to later presses.

My jaw dropped when I found out the weight on the bar, he makes it look so easy. The presses when they lay right back are insane.

BACKBE10.gif

Back to the original question. I haven't done it in a while but i've found that I like pressing from the rack more for some reason. I migth try cleaning it off again soon although I feel comfortable with the unracking

Alright, don't call it cleans then, we'll just call it moving your arse and picking the bar up off the floor

What??

You've lost me now.

If I am pressing ill press from the rack

If I am doing cleans ill pick it up of the floor and rack on the shoulders.

If I am doing clean and press ill pick it from the floor and press it.

Simple. Different exercises.