• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
You can deadlift 200kg for reps Shrek, I'd say your grip strength is ok.
JJ is having trouble with 140kg deadlifts, and 0ni claims his mate can't hold 100kg but is a champion rock climber...not saying they're essential but surely they help

You can deadlift 200kg for reps Shrek, I'd say your grip strength is ok.
JJ is having trouble with 140kg deadlifts, and 0ni claims his mate can't hold 100kg but is a champion rock climber...not saying they're essential but surely they help
Ok fairies nuts. [emoji1]

I can hold onto 145kg for 5x5, just after I felt a bit sore in the joints. I find 200kg deads hard to hold on to as a max (I can only hold on for about 8 seconds). I was mainly posting cause it was a sort of bone / tendon pain, not a muscle one. I don't hook grip and just double over hand grab the bar.

I went climbing the other day as a one off and did a grade 23 overhang, something I'd bet money on no power lifter here could do - I realise that sounds a bit cocky but go to the gym and see how far you get. Maybe a couple of people could do it.

I agree with Oni grip strength in deads doesn't necessarily give you grip strength rock climbing. I'd be interested to hear from other climbers who are better power lifters than me if they found a correlation :)

Nobody said that it'll make you a better climber...but I reckon heavy deadlifting would help your grip strength in general.

I was surprised that your grip strength isn't better with all your hard climbing, but not terrible...not "can't hold 100kg" terrible.

Last edited:
Nobody said that it'll make you a better climber...but I reckon heavy deadlifting would help your grip strength in general.
I was surprised that your grip strength isn't better with all your climbing, but it's not terrible...not "can't hold 100kg" terrible.
How much is your double overhand grip good for? Any idea what it would take to make you drop it after like 5-10 seconds?
Said you switch at 180kg but I'm guessing you could rep 180kg for some while.

How much is your double overhand grip good for? Any idea what it would take to make you drop it after like 5-10 seconds?
Said you switch at 180kg but I'm guessing you could rep 180kg for some while.

Not sure man, I don't have any working sets at 180kg anymore, but when warming up for a max, I'll do 4-5 reps at 170-180kg double overhand.
I also do wide grip rack pulls up to 150kg for several sets of 6-10 all DOH

What's too funny, is that you argued like a twit with Bazza saying that afl players would be better if the squatted and deadlifted...
And that your opinions change every couple months or so...

I'm happy to admit I was wrong about rock climbers having vice-like grip...It was assumption but I made that pretty clear in my very first response to Joe.

Define "carry over "

you our mean it will make you a better footballer?
kick better?
jump, tougher., what?

I was just having a friendly dig at 0ni...him and Bazz had a big pow-wow about footy players development, I'm pretty sure 0ni said AFL players would be better if they squatted/deadlifted earlier...where Bazz suggested they should be learning the skills primarily...

What's too funny, is that you argued like a twit with Bazza saying that afl players would be better if the squatted and deadlifted...
And that your opinions change every couple months or so...

Except that football has you in positions like the bottom of the squat and deadlift where you need to develop a lot of power under loads and rock climbing doesn't
Next question?