• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

NOOB Question StrongLifts and StartingStrength

I was in the same boat and inexperienced at lifting. I found Strong Lifts and did it for 6 months and loved it. Squats got too much doing 5x5 3 times a week. I learnt about this forum and found out about Starting Strength and loved that too. I enjoyed having less sets and felt stronger again. After that I tried Macow and loved that too.

Main point is, you must love it otherwise it may become a chore. Trying 3 different routines kept me interested regardless if anyone prefers one over the other. I just tried them and stuck to what I liked best, if it keeps you moving forward, that's the main focus.

Good luck.

^ this. SL is not something that I would expect to continue to do always, but merely an introduction to lifting heavy weights, building lean muscle, burning fat and setting me up for future programs that will further develop my physique. For the moment - can't go past it for what it is.

Cheers.

The advice I give to my friends and people starting out (if they ask me for advice) is to actually get coaching straight up.

The advice I give to my friends and people starting out (if they ask me for advice) is to actually get coaching straight up.

Great point, This is key when starting out.

One of the most frequently asked questions on internet training Q&A’s, and magazine articles is:

"How does one set up a training program if one has never lifted weights before?

How can I ensure that I will utilize the correct exercises and intensity when I train?"

While the question seems easy enough to answer, many great minds in the "weight training world" have pondered this question at great length, and have come up with many different answers to the question.

A good coach will look at the needs, limitations, and abilities of the trainee.

Do my awesome beginner program

For all exercises.
Warmup bar x 6,
third of training weight x 6,
two thirds of training weight x 6,
training weight 3 x 6.

Squats
Over head press
Dead lifts
Bench press
Bent over rows or chins (optional)
Push-ups, crunches (optional)

Add curls, upright rows, tri extensions any time you feel you didn't get the most oit of your workout

Do this three times a week. Add weight each session, week, or whenever you make all the reps. Just make sure you add weight consistently.

This has worked better for me than any other routine. Main reason is because I enjoyed doing it and stuck with it for three months.

That's much more full on than SL5x5 to do all of the same exercises - but all on every workout. I do like the sound of it though.

Today for me was Squat/Bench Press/Barbell Row, to which I think it's near impossible to do sets of Rows with an empty bar (same as deadlifts). Having said that, I did work up from an empty bar to my workout weight on the Squat and Press and believe it is the best way to go about it - particularly good to get more practice.

130kg at 183cm tall 1st June this year.

currently - 119.3kg. I have previously had an absolutely appalling diet.
KFC, Chips/Potato Cakes/Egg & Bacon Rolls...No breakfast ever, drank no water ever, heavy smoker, high amounts of coffee daily....

sounds like me above except i gone from 63 kg to 83 kg in 2 years. pretty wasted...

my only tip is find konjac powder mix that in water and drink, u want to drink water more offen and always have the powder in your pocket it expands 50x and fills you up so you never feel hungry.. just as temporary relieve. i find taking excessive (5-20 grams a day)creatine constantly makes me thirsty and pee like 20 times a day. felt like last 2 weeks i lost significate amount of fat just peeing...

fills you up so you never feel hungry..
Yeah, bugger that. As of last Sunday I changed my eating/drinking habit and I think it has shocked my body completely. I want to eat to fuel my muscles and help burn off that fat, just needing to make the right choices on what that food is.

It's simple, I am drinking 3-4ltrs of Water every day (up from 0), I am eating a big breakfast, Decent Lunch and Smaller than previous dinner. I am snacking healthy (including natural fats such as nuts) in between and still drinking coffee, but not as much. Tomorrow is my weekly check the scale/measurements day and I know it's going to be a positive result - showing me I am on the right track.

i find taking excessive (5-20 grams a day)creatine constantly makes me thirsty and pee like 20 times a day. felt like last 2 weeks i lost significate amount of fat just peeing...

Aaah, the one downer I have found from changing to a healthier eating pattern. Drinking 3-4ltrs of Water = Pee Central. It's annoying. I don't take any Creatine...