• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My home gym plans. Please rate.

I have both lol....not for sale

Did I also mention my rack has storage as well. Currently holding 270kg of bumper plates.

That makes it a whopping 480kg......500kg if we count the bar lol lol lol lol lol lol

The bar comment is a site gag (lol).

The biggest downfall on this site is that some lifters dont count the bar. I know, isnt it.

PTC: That storage makes the rack extra awesome because the weight is spread out over a bigger base. Its almost exactly like the models they have at eliteFTS (cept chinese steel) and its very popular with a lot of rugby teams. You made a great pick.

And what the hells with not counting the bars? they're 20kg!

Also - whats the deal with you and your belt grudge? :p does your gym put lifters in the IPF?

Belts are for discos Oli, we build our own.

At first everyone was dubious about not wearing a belt, I simply wouldnt allow them.

Now you feel like a dick wearing a belt while deadlifting 4 plates and some kid is pulling more and weighing less without one. Forty two lifters have deadlifted 200kg + without one. I think its around 10 have pulled 250kg+ without one.

Same goes for the squat, you feel super strong in your commercial gym, whack the belt on at 140kg, make sure the crowd notices. You walk into PTC and a 17yo is doing cardio with your 1RM.....and no belt. I think its around 20 lifters have squatted 180kg + without one at PTC.

If a belt was of any use, wouldnt every single Olympic lifter wear one, considering medals are lost on bodyweight, competition is that tight.

I hate them, my clients hate them, very uncomfortable.

If they dont like my rules, they can always lift somewhere else.

As far as IPF, I dont like powerlifting competition at all. Hate the arch, suits, wraps, belts, shallow squats, wide stance, wide grip, belly benching, monolift etc

Come to Australia Day 10, you will be converted, plus you would absolutely love it. Fifty like minded lifters in a super friendly enviroment. Do it. Do it. Do it.

As you can see its welded and built very heavy duty. Next week after my exams will be me in the backyard with some emery and black rust free paint.

Mate, forget the emery paper - you will be there for years! Get yourself a small angle grinder with a wire wheel attachment or at the very least a drill with wire wheel attachment and you strip the rust off quick smart - it'll be as good as new.

Ahhhhhhh, good to hear, you fit right into ausbb. :D

*Frightened by injoke :O*

Belts are for discos Oli, we build our own. At first everyone was dubious about not wearing a belt, I simply wouldnt allow them.

Now you feel like a dick wearing a belt while deadlifting 4 plates and some kid is pulling more and weighing less without one. Forty two lifters have deadlifted 200kg + without one. I think its around 10 have pulled 250kg+ without one.

Same goes for the squat, you feel super strong in your commercial gym, whack the belt on at 140kg, make sure the crowd notices. You walk into PTC and a 17yo is doing cardio with your 1RM.....and no belt. I think its around 20 lifters have squatted 180kg + without one at PTC.

If a belt was of any use, wouldnt every single Olympic lifter wear one, considering medals are lost on bodyweight, competition is that tight.

I hate them, my clients hate them, very uncomfortable.

If they dont like my rules, they can always lift somewhere else.

As far as IPF, I dont like powerlifting competition at all. Hate the arch, suits, wraps, belts, shallow squats, wide stance, wide grip, belly benching, monolift etc

Come to Australia Day 10, you will be converted, plus you would absolutely love it. Fifty like minded lifters in a super friendly enviroment. Do it. Do it. Do it.

I don’t agree here sorry. The thing I like about a belt is it allows you to stay tight under the squat – it’s a safety issue. I’d count a belt as ‘raw’ and I think most would for this reason, it doesn’t necessarily increase a lift like a bench shirt does.

The reason why Olympic lifters don’t wear them is because a 4” 13mm belt is going to cause problems with a clean and jerk that requires a lot of movement.

I really like the IPF, I was going to join but the whole based in Sydney thing was a turnoff as well as the suits. You’re looking at paying a lot of money for a decent suit and need to replace them regularly, not to mention you can’t just go out and buy a super kantana and bench – you need a ‘beginners’ suit.

Where is that Australia day thing? It sounds fun!
Mate, forget the emery paper - you will be there for years! Get yourself a small angle grinder with a wire wheel attachment or at the very least a drill with wire wheel attachment and you strip the rust off quick smart - it'll be as good as new.

I get different stories for what I need to do with everyone! I think I’m just gonna go into bunnings with a photo of the rack and $100 and ask what I need.

Two years, 42 lifters pulling 200kg+, 3 lifters squatting 200kg+, 50 lifters powercleaning 100kg, 5 girls deadlifting 125kg+

Zero back injuries. Its a phurphy. Belts are for weak minds, not weak backs. I've got one guy who flat out refused to deadlift without a belt, gym owner, PB of 200kg. He now deadlifts 200kg x 10 and 251kg x 1....no belt, no worries. He also squats 150kg x 20 and 185kg x 1...still no belt.

He has had back issues in the past. Never again, we just strengthened his core, and his mind.

I dont expect nor do I want to change anyones mind, I really dont care what others do outside PTC. You simply cant use one here.

As far as AD10 goes, its my 5 lift comps, check them out on my website, I'm not allowed to post links to my website, but you'll work it out, its called PTC and its in Frankston lol

We squat, bench, deadlift, clean and clean and press/push press/jerk.

Your total is calculated and we use a Wilks score to work out the winner. Last comp was Bash at the Beach 3.

A lifter called Chris won. He totalled 851kg @ 92.3kg

bench 152.5 (close grip, injured shoulder)
Squat 197.5kg ( 200kg fourth attempt)
powerclean 117.5kg
clean and push press 120kg ( cleaned better second time around)
deadlift 266kg

I dont have to mention he didnt wear a belt lol

There are pics and vids of our comps on the website

28.jpg

Chris 266kg...no belt
27.jpg

Simon 250kg...no belt
26.jpg

Matt 240kg....no belt
22.jpg

Shorty 212.5kg @ 70kg....no belt
24.jpg

Brendon 230kg....no belt
18.jpg

James 160kg @ 60yo....no belt
45.jpg

Nick 205kg...no belt

If my clients get injuredand cant train, I dont get paid, my kids dont eat. If there was any chance of getting injured not wearing a belt, why would I take that risk? To prove what.

the fact is, most dont understand why they first put a belt on, then it becomes a security blanket. As a father of 5, I know how to ween lifters off security blankets.

If you do decide to come, and dont plan to go dancing, leave your belt at home, with your gloves lol, I know you dont wear gloves, there for whimps, right?

Quite a few of the lifters in pics are members on here

A belt is just a band-aid solution for a weak core. If you cant stay tight under your squats without a belt train your weakness (core) untill you can.

I think belts are dangerous. If you spend a heap of time lifting with one you are neglecting your core and that is when injuries can happen outside of lifting, some parts of your body will be stronger than others. Your core is probably the most important in heavy lifting.

a belt stabilises your core so your core muscles dont have to. why would you want to exclude your core muscles from lifts you are doing to strengthen your core?

I have used a belt once for sh!ts and giggles. Felt weird and uncomfortable. Did 1 set and took it off, never again.

My opinion,most (but not all) belt wearers are wankers.
And all wankers wear belts.

sorry about my late reply. I've had exams these past few days and haven't had a lot of time to type a response.

Some comments really miss the point of what the belt does. Because you're wearing a belt doesn't mean your abdominals magically fall asleep and don't get worked - they're just stabilized, and even if it were more than that your abs are going to get plenty of work from your warm ups/non maximal work.

Everyone has some spinal flex in the squat, you can keep your form tight but its an inevitable part of lifting maximal weights (just check out some matt kroc videos of him in the bottom of his squat). The belt helps with this and creates a more stable and smoother ride which helps you lift more weight safely. It can hardly be compared to a bench shirt with bouncy elastic in it.

PTC: you seem like a really awesome guy and I dont want to offend you but I really dont agree with you. The reason you dont have any injuries is because lifting in a controlled environment like that is a very safe sport anyway. Me, I like the smoother ride of a belt and if it allows me to lift more weight safely then I'm not bothered by it.

note: at the moment I don't actually wear a belt because every time I save the money for one something comes up. I plan to add one in the future though, along with the 0.5" rogues when they come out.

Anyways, I think I'll start a log here for my second year of lifting. Please check it out if you've got some time :D

Last edited:
I know I'm in the minority with my view on belts, it doesnt bother me, all the weak lifters have a right to be wrong lol

I've had way too much experience weening babys off belts, then have them obliterate their PB's to even consider for 1 second that a belt helps your body lift more weight, its your mind you need to train.

I know I'm in the minority with my view on belts, it doesnt bother me, all the weak lifters have a right to be wrong lol

I've had way too much experience weening babys off belts, then have them obliterate their PB's to even consider for 1 second that a belt helps your body lift more weight, its your mind you need to train.

At the same time PTC theres some pretty hardcore powerlifting vets squatting 250+ with a belt out there. Each to their own I guess.

Powerlifters dont squat correctly, they need belts.

we squat for power and development, we lengthen the ROM, not limit it.

What a powerlifter does is turn a squat into an abortion.

If you plan to compete in powerlifting, then by all means do as they do.

But if I have a 17yo kid squatting 2.3 x bodyweight WITHOUT a belt, you better have a pretty good reason for wearing one if your squating less.

Feel free to do what you like when your squatting 250kg, but until you actually start lifting heavy weights or can squat double bodyweight x 10, leave the belts to the Judo guys

Your argument about them means nothing, unless they prove they can squat more with them.

Heres a test, put double bodyweight on a bar and see how many high bar full squats you can do without a belt. Then do low bar half squats with a belt like a powerlifter and see if you can do more reps that way.

sorry about my late reply. I've had exams these past few days and haven't had a lot of time to type a response.

Some comments really miss the point of what the belt does. Because you're wearing a belt doesn't mean your abdominals magically fall asleep and don't get worked - they're just stabilized, and even if it were more than that your abs are going to get plenty of work from your warm ups/non maximal work.

Everyone has some spinal flex in the squat, you can keep your form tight but its an inevitable part of lifting maximal weights (just check out some matt kroc videos of him in the bottom of his squat). The belt helps with this and creates a more stable and smoother ride which helps you lift more weight safely. It can hardly be compared to a bench shirt with bouncy elastic in it.

PTC: you seem like a really awesome guy and I dont want to offend you but I really dont agree with you. The reason you dont have any injuries is because lifting in a controlled environment like that is a very safe sport anyway. Me, I like the smoother ride of a belt and if it allows me to lift more weight safely then I'm not bothered by it.

note: at the moment I don't actually wear a belt because every time I save the money for one something comes up. I plan to add one in the future though, along with the 0.5" rogues when they come out.

Anyways, I think I'll start a log here for my second year of lifting. Please check it out if you've got some time :D

you could use the exact same argument for squatting in a smith machine.

Update: I've been waiting a ****ing month for this rack, everything keeps getting in the way!

- I was held back 2 weeks to pick the thing up due to exams
- The galvanisers LOST the rack for an entire week, I found out when I wrang to collect it. It will probably be ready by wednesday.
- After that I wont be able to pick it up until the following week - my dad's work implemented a new policy which means he cant leave despite having periods off (its his trailer)