• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My home gym plans. Please rate.

As most of you guys know, I waited for 2 years before I got a rack for PTC.

I never, ever compromise with equipment. I have also never had to buy anything twice.

Make room for the big rack I have, in 10 years time, you'll be glad you did.

I'm currently trying to create room to fit a second one in. You sound like a true lifter, take it from me, its the best rack around. The fact it has a weight tree built in saves another couple of hundred dollars.

Laugh at Rob with bearing cables etc. Real gym equipment doesnt have cables and bearings.

Oliver sounds like a regular PTC lifter (except for the belt). I'm not sure he's looking for a decline pec dec, though I could be wrong lol

Get the best rack you can get and enjoy it forever. Buy a lesser one and be prepared to replace it.

I keep harping on about this to guys on another website. Two guys bought cheap bars. One bent and the other snapped. Buy it once.

We have done partials with 390kg at PTC, no issues at all, no bent bars, no dramas at all.

As most of you guys know, I waited for 2 years before I got a rack for PTC.

I never, ever compromise with equipment. I have also never had to buy anything twice.

Make room for the big rack I have, in 10 years time, you'll be glad you did.

I'm currently trying to create room to fit a second one in. You sound like a true lifter, take it from me, its the best rack around. The fact it has a weight tree built in saves another couple of hundred dollars.

Laugh at Rob with bearing cables etc. Real gym equipment doesnt have cables and bearings.

Oliver sounds like a regular PTC lifter (except for the belt). I'm not sure he's looking for a decline pec dec, though I could be wrong lol

Get the best rack you can get and enjoy it forever. Buy a lesser one and be prepared to replace it.

I keep harping on about this to guys on another website. Two guys bought cheap bars. One bent and the other snapped. Buy it once.

We have done partials with 390kg at PTC, no issues at all, no bent bars, no dramas at all.

Thanks for the kind words, you know exactly what I'm on about here, but I may have something that can top your rack...

I've just arranged to get an old locally welded rack from a bloke in Sydney - he's left it outside and its rusty but I had a mate who's a metal worker inspect it and he gave it the all clear.

I'll be drilling some more holes, sanding and painting it black and will have some photos up for you all when I'm done.

The money I've saved on the rack I'm going to put towards an ABC powerlifting bar and wait for a gym auction to come up for a heavy duty bench and weights storage rack. Whether I build a platform will depend on whether I keep going with rubber coated plates and the stability of the rack.

Thanks for everyone's input.

You know deep down I am on the right path! :p

Stopped doing squats altogether this week too.

Dig dig.....

This whole power rack talk has me thinking about selling my car to fund a home gym :confused::confused:

Last edited:
This whole power rack talk has me thinking about selling my car and buying a basic home gym :confused::confused:

Noooooooo!!!!

Don't misquote me.

It is true I am an evil user of good machines but MOST are pulleys and lever crap.

By home gym I hope you mean the basics and not a bolt together piece of fitness store poo.

Rob

ermm... is it possible to have a rack in an apartment???
As i'm staying in an apartment...
am thinking of setting up a tiny gym, barbell, bench + a squat/bench stand
might replace the stand with a rack? :D

Nar, the dark side won't claim me.

I envision it to be almost identical to what Oliver04 is getting :)

Noooooooo!!!!

Don't misquote me.

It is true I am an evil user of good machines but MOST are pulleys and lever crap.

By home gym I hope you mean the basics and not a bolt together piece of fitness store poo.

Rob

You could physically fit a rack into most apartments - except for the one-room apartments - but the weights would probably wreck the floor, you might lose your bond :p

You could squat, bench, rack pull, clean off pins, shrug and overhead press in a rack without the bar ever touching the ground.

Nothing else needed.

By home gym I hope you mean the basics and not a bolt together piece of fitness store poo. Rob

I agree with you totally – I wouldn’t buy anything which wasn’t welded or at least extremely heavy duty.

My rack will either have a platform or be bolted to the floor for extra security.

ermm... is it possible to have a rack in an apartment??? As i'm staying in an apartment... am thinking of setting up a tiny gym, barbell, bench + a squat/bench stand might replace the stand with a rack? :D

A rack in terms of height should be fine. A bigger issue is the flooring – its not such a great idea to deadlift with 300kg in the middle of a room with a wooden floor some 4 storeys high.

As someone who’s long persevered I would not buy a squat stand again

Nar, the dark side won't claim me. I envision it to be almost identical to what Oliver04 is getting :)

Good job :D

Welded wont work for an apartment, unless you have the largest doorways in the world.

Also, no need to bolt a 210kg rack down lol

Do deadlifts off pins...rack pulls.

My squat stands have lasted for 6 years and they are as strong as the day I got them. Have seen over twenty 200kg squats in them, plus 1,000,000 180kg squats lol

The only issue is your limited to only squats, presses overhead and bench press if you add a bench. Not very limited.

Please post pics of your rack Oli. That would be a terrible sentence if your dad had called you Sue lol

Welded wont work for an apartment, unless you have the largest doorways in the world.

Also, no need to bolt a 210kg rack down lol

Didn't think of that, and 200kg racks hardly count as the norm! :p

My squat stands have lasted for 6 years and they are as strong as the day I got them. Have seen over twenty 200kg squats in them, plus 1,000,000 180kg squats lol

The only issue is your limited to only squats, presses overhead and bench press if you add a bench. Not very limited.

I used to think I could get away with bench pressing on a squat rack, but I've had some close calls even with dad there. You can't push yourself that full 100% which is frustrating.

Squats are a similar deal - I find that I have a lot of forward lean and I get trapped. I understand you can bail, but its not so practical without platforms and bumpers.

Please post pics of your rack Oli. That would be a terrible sentence if your dad had called you Sue lol

lol, if only...

Okay, you get rack pictures:

riprack.jpg

Yeah it is rusty, BUT:
1) I got it for free
2) I got my mate who is a metal worker to inspect it (not just the photo). He says everything is surface rust and gave it the all clear.

As you can see its welded and built very heavy duty. Next week after my exams will be me in the backyard with some emery and black rust free paint.

If theres any issues I can always have one or two of the guide bars replaced at a local welders. I was hesitant to have one custom made from scratch however because I know they would have charged me an arm and a leg.

Nice pick up

It reminded me of the racks at Rippetoes gym, which is why I jumped on it as soon as my mate said it was okay.

Now I just need an old heavy duty flat bench and storage rack. If anyone knows where I can pick these up cheap let me know.