• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

muscle motion vs powertec power rack

Oli covered it all pretty well.

I have the MM one, it gets hammered for hours every day, 6 days a week. Its performed flawlessly.

we have pulled 300kg off the racks, dumped a 160kg squat from height, nothing.

Just a quick update:

I went to check out Sam's Fitness and decided I liked the powertec gear much better than the Muscle Motion stuff so I ended up buying the Powertec Rack. The rack is awesome and I've got a crew of mates coming over atleast 3 times a week to lift.

The quality is really good and there is something about having a yellow rack that motivates me :p

I'd post pics but I havent made 15 posts yet.

The powertech ones only weighs 80kg, do you have it bolted down?

My rack weighs 210kg, plus with the plate storage it has another 420kg of plates on it, its not going anywhere.

I have to admit to never using a rack that light, but I imagine it would move around quite a bit if your using more than 80kg in it.

We were doing band benching in mine before I added the extra plates, we lifted it off the ground. My orange bands lift 55kg DB's when benching, it would put this rack through the roof.

Markos,

I wanted to get that rack too but decided against it. Someone did a pretty good review on the starting strength forum - they reckon it could take any squat under 250kg with things getting shaky at 200. And yeah it would move like a bitch.

Theres some design flaws (pin spacing, the new quick release system, the weight and the depth of the J-hooks) but theres some flaws in the MM too.

Hes got it now though and he should get a good run out of it.

Hey Marko et al,

Sorry for the very delayed response.

The 200kg commercial rack does look the goods but it wasn't a consideration due to space and height restrictions, however I have to admit that I was very impressed when I saw it at gymdirect (also the open top heavy duty one appeared to be indestructible).

Sam's fitness had a powertec commercial rack as well that was double the weight and a higher guage steel too. It was tall enough to make me at 5'11" struggle to reach the chin up bar.

My comparison was the MMPR (standard) vs the powertec one (which was $100 more - $595 vs $650~700 neg).

The rack weighs 101kg, and doesnt move or shake when lifting (a caveat here though is that the max I've done is 120kg squats). Also little to no movement during chins/pull ups even with my 130kg mate busting out his few reps.

The tricep dip bars are awesome & much more stable than the MMPR ones, however the chin up bar isnt as good as the multi-option MMPR one.

Overall, I'm really happy with it. My max lifts have increased and I've got that addiction feeling of being excited to go to the gym (my garage).

Thanks for sharing mate. Hopefully that may help others make a decision on what to buy.

Always good to read the excitment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi all,

Anyone have any personal experience with the Force USA rack?

I went to gymdirect today and checked out the MMPR which I was impressed by, however if the Force USA one is of a better quality then I might get it instead.

I'm going to get rack, lat pull down (I want one for triceps and rope/grip work), 117.5kg of plates, 20kg oly bar, dip attachment and FID bench.

Anything else anyone thinks I need?

I've been pricing the 3 main options:

Cyber-market - Cheapest price
Gym&Fitness - Force USA (Slightly more)
Gymdirect havent - Muscle Motion (Most expensive)

I have the Force USA rack in my gym, and its great. We cant overhead press inside the cage though, but its not a problem because you can press outside it.

We use the cage for squats, rack presses, rack pulls, chins, dips etc.

One more thing, dont buy a cheap bar. Our first bar was cheap, we managed to bend it in 4 weeks only going up to 180kg rack pulls. We now have two pendlay bars, paid $600 each for them.

I'm looking at getting the MMPR rack like this. Can anyone give me a measurement from the floor to the CHINUP bar (highest point). Just trying to workout if I would have enough room in my garage

personally i'd go MM, i own the HPRSP Commercial rack and it's fantastic. My basis of saying MM over Powertec is the pullup bar has so much versatility. Only read OP --

I'm looking at getting the MMPR rack like this. Can anyone give me a measurement from the floor to the CHINUP bar (highest point). Just trying to workout if I would have enough room in my garage

You could put the chin up bar in upside down I think.

I'm not very tall (about 177?) and when I press the top of the plate is a bit higher than the bars so if you can press in the garage the cage will fit with the bar the right way up.

And yeah this rack will move around a lot, but it's easy to move back.

I've moved the commercial one 2cm or so, on a concrete floor.

Get the Commercial one, plain and simple you got the built in weight tree which is incredibly handy

I have the MMPR and my gym has the commercial one.

Get the commercial one if you can afford it and have room for it.

The MMPR is a good rack, but when I move out and have space for a rack I will get a better one.

commercial rack hands down.

spend the money up front and never upgrade again.

everything about it makes sense.

the solid 200kg weight of it means it will never tip and can hold more weight than you'll ever move.

you'll never squat or bench more than the j hooks can handle.

the weight tree makes it pretty compact for a home gym setup.

the chin bar is awesome with multiple grips.

I love the idea that it will last me through my entire lifting career.

Has anyone seen or used the Force USA commercial rack and how does it stack up against the MMPR commercial one? I had a look at the Force USA standard rack and felt it was a little wobbly from side to side

front clearance needed for the MM commercial rack

Hi,

I was wondering how much clearance you need in front of the following rack

HPRSP Commercial Power Rack

to have enough room to slide the safety bars out when adjusting their height. I got a narrow long garage, so i wouldnt be able to fit the rack backed up against the short wall (due to width issues, as i need to keep the doorway/walking path clear), and am worried that if i back it up against the long wall, that i wont have enough front clearance to slide the adjustable height safety bars. Do the bars have to slide straight out of the holes all the way, or are the holes big enough that they can come out at an angle?

Anyway, if someone who owns the HPRSP rack (which heaps of you do) could please slide the safety bar out and measure the min distance in front of the rack to get the bar out of the holes, that would be tops..

Thanks in advance,

Tuna..

My mate has a force rack and I have a mmpr. The force USA has more support bar holes than the mmpr. The force USA is bigger and weighs less. The chinup bar for the force rack is hollow where as the mmpr feels more solid.

But if I had the space and money I would go commercial rack without a doubt. Hope that helps.

I suspect they are both made within the same factory in china

Thanks heaps for the info and quick replies. With those extra measurements in mind, i need to take the tape measure out to the garage again. I love the idea of having the plate storage on each side, but it may be just out of my range in the way of space.

At the very least, I am sure I will be fully sorted with the Normal MMPR rack, the flat commercial bench, and a separate plate rack. Without the plate storage on the sides I would be able to back the MMPR rack up against the short wall, and have plenty of room in front to slide the safety bars out.

ANyway, off to find my tape measure, and see if the commercial beast will fit.

Cheers,

Tuna