• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Max's trip to the Worlds

Very, very well done.

A pity he wasn't out to hit PBs, it could have left some big numbers for the Americans to chase after for the next ten years :D

Congrats to both lifter and coach.

Thanks a lot, it wouldnt have been possible without the support we've had from everyone back home.

I know it sounds corny, but I couldnt be more sincere, but this win is for EVERYONE back home.

Its unbelievable the support we've had, I've never seen it before nor was it expected.

A very special thanks goes to Sean Gallagher, Vicki Jewson, Wayne and Sussy.

they dont want me to say anything, but they put their hands in their pocket and gave cash for us to make this trip. Its cool when big organizations do it, but when ordinary people with their own set of issues do it, well its a most humbling experience.

Bluegum, ABC, Australian Kettlebells all donated cash and goods. I hope they get good value for their investment.

So many people here want PTC hoodies and shirts, if I'd known they would be this popular I would have taken some with us.

A nice guy from Michigan, Art, was blown away that Max lifted without a belt, he said he's never seen that before. He's an equipped lifter and he has a team up here lifting raw. He congratulated Max on not only winning a world title, but doing it in the truest essence of raw, he kept shaking his head and mumbling no belt.

We have made sooooooooooo many friends here. Everyone knows the Aussies. We have been really well recieved.

I spent an hour in the foyer talking to lifter named John, an absolute unit, he was in disbelief that Max was 18. He said the reason people think he is much older is because of the way he carries himself. This guy was the MC, he is every bit as good as Adam was at our Nats. He really talked Max up when he lifted.

the no belt thing really gets people talking, its not something they've ever seen before going by there reaction. Sitting in the crowd I hear things like "he's forgotten his belt" lol.

I have been in deep conversation with lifters that have far more credibility and lifting experience than me. I ask whether the reason everyone wears a belt is that they have someone stronger than them wearing one, and they reply yes.

So obviously all the guys that lost to a kid without a belt should follow his lead using there own logic. They see my point, and rather than disrespect the fact he wears no belt, they think its a tremendous thing, and to go on and WIN, well thats icing.

I have been seriously worried about Max's lifting today, but I said nothing. His workout at Golds was ordinary, his eating and energy levels were ordinary.

the timing of the event was unbelievably poor from our end in Australia. A 15 hour flight and 15 hour drive were killers. Most here were stunned at our commitment, with the guy Max beat living right here in Idaho Falls.

the one thing I was confident about was his squat, I knew his bench and dead would be below the Nats, he hadnt trained them for 3 weeks. Max thrives on training, not competing.

He was also worried, so he dropped his squat opener from 165 to 160. It flew up, so he took 170, easy, but we then went conservative, a 172.5 squat gave us a 5kg lead. Max wouldve made 180kg today, no question, I'm a very good judge, he couldve got it on a 4th attempt and a PB, but we were at a World Championships, not a garage.

Going into the bench, Max had a 5kg lead. He was struggling with grip width, he didnt get one right. His 105 opener was hard, hands too close, 107.5 was easier, hands a touch wider, his 110 stalled very high for Max, his strength, he missed the lift.

This was where I knew he was stuffed. No way does he EVER miss a bench that high. We had no breakfast before lifting, just Gatorade, Muscle Milk and water. He didnt feel like eating. After his 110kg miss, I knew he was out of steam.

We went into the deadlift with Max 5kg ahead. Sean was starting with 185kg, but I knew that was a stupidly easy lift for him. Max was going to have to win on his opener, no question, I've seen him lift long enough to know when he's done.

He made a very difficult 210kg lift. He had nothing more left, I knew it, he didnt. He asked for 220kg for a second, I MADE him go back and change it to 215kg, which I knew he had little chance of making. He only pulled it to above his knees. It was 2.30pm now, and he had no food in him or energy.

that 210kg opener was enough to clinch the Gold by 5kg. we had to be smart today and check the ego at the door. He may never get the oppurtunity to lift at another WC, today had to be about winning, not numbers. Max understood totally and lifted as well as he couldve under the conditions. This was his 4th comp in 4 1/2 months, thats insane.

He is beat up, and he knows it. Its the culmination of his first Powerlifting season, he needs to go out into a nice meadow and just graze for awhile, he has earned it.

Max will possibly be in the 90kg class next time he competes. He has another 20 months in this age group, all his competion is a year older, the guys at the Nats and the Worlds. He could really put up some good numbers by training at 82kg for a year and set some nice records, but thinking long term, its clear too see that he is too tall for his height, the strongest guys around here are much shorter than him.

As far as being proud of him, all I've heard since he won when I give him shit is

JUST LET ME GET MY GOLD MEDAL

I may just leave him behind, with his f u c k i n g gold medal

woohoo good job fella's , I'm pretty stoked that Max pulled it off and brought home the gold

the stories that you are sharing really made it feel like we were there with you with all the details you supplied

BIG CONGRATS

CONGRATULATIONS MARKOS AND MAX!

Thanks for the updates throughout the week, it's been great to follow.

Max you're such an inspiration to the younger lifters around here, well for me anyway. I'm sure gareer would agree, right brother?

Have a safe trip back!

PS: what month/year was Max born?

Last edited:
Awesome work, congrats to Max and congrats to you Markos. Have a great little holiday. This has probably been one of the best threads to read.

Congratulations Max!!! Top effort, all things taken into consideration such as jet lag long trips and adjusting, and STILL managed to win gold! WORLD CHAMP :D

Well done as well Markos, you are both an inspiration to us all back home.
-dims

Thanks a lot, it wouldnt have been possible without the support we've had from everyone back home.

I know it sounds corny, but I couldnt be more sincere, but this win is for EVERYONE back home.

Its unbelievable the support we've had, I've never seen it before nor was it expected.

A very special thanks goes to Sean Gallagher, Vicki Jewson, Wayne and Sussy.

they dont want me to say anything, but they put their hands in their pocket and gave cash for us to make this trip. Its cool when big organizations do it, but when ordinary people with their own set of issues do it, well its a most humbling experience.

Bluegum, ABC, Australian Kettlebells all donated cash and goods. I hope they get good value for their investment.

So many people here want PTC hoodies and shirts, if I'd known they would be this popular I would have taken some with us.

A nice guy from Michigan, Art, was blown away that Max lifted without a belt, he said he's never seen that before. He's an equipped lifter and he has a team up here lifting raw. He congratulated Max on not only winning a world title, but doing it in the truest essence of raw, he kept shaking his head and mumbling no belt.

We have made sooooooooooo many friends here. Everyone knows the Aussies. We have been really well recieved.

I spent an hour in the foyer talking to lifter named John, an absolute unit, he was in disbelief that Max was 18. He said the reason people think he is much older is because of the way he carries himself. This guy was the MC, he is every bit as good as Adam was at our Nats. He really talked Max up when he lifted.

the no belt thing really gets people talking, its not something they've ever seen before going by there reaction. Sitting in the crowd I hear things like "he's forgotten his belt" lol.

I have been in deep conversation with lifters that have far more credibility and lifting experience than me. I ask whether the reason everyone wears a belt is that they have someone stronger than them wearing one, and they reply yes.

So obviously all the guys that lost to a kid without a belt should follow his lead using there own logic. They see my point, and rather than disrespect the fact he wears no belt, they think its a tremendous thing, and to go on and WIN, well thats icing.

I have been seriously worried about Max's lifting today, but I said nothing. His workout at Golds was ordinary, his eating and energy levels were ordinary.

the timing of the event was unbelievably poor from our end in Australia. A 15 hour flight and 15 hour drive were killers. Most here were stunned at our commitment, with the guy Max beat living right here in Idaho Falls.

the one thing I was confident about was his squat, I knew his bench and dead would be below the Nats, he hadnt trained them for 3 weeks. Max thrives on training, not competing.

He was also worried, so he dropped his squat opener from 165 to 160. It flew up, so he took 170, easy, but we then went conservative, a 172.5 squat gave us a 5kg lead. Max wouldve made 180kg today, no question, I'm a very good judge, he couldve got it on a 4th attempt and a PB, but we were at a World Championships, not a garage.

Going into the bench, Max had a 5kg lead. He was struggling with grip width, he didnt get one right. His 105 opener was hard, hands too close, 107.5 was easier, hands a touch wider, his 110 stalled very high for Max, his strength, he missed the lift.

This was where I knew he was stuffed. No way does he EVER miss a bench that high. We had no breakfast before lifting, just Gatorade, Muscle Milk and water. He didnt feel like eating. After his 110kg miss, I knew he was out of steam.

We went into the deadlift with Max 5kg ahead. Sean was starting with 185kg, but I knew that was a stupidly easy lift for him. Max was going to have to win on his opener, no question, I've seen him lift long enough to know when he's done.

He made a very difficult 210kg lift. He had nothing more left, I knew it, he didnt. He asked for 220kg for a second, I MADE him go back and change it to 215kg, which I knew he had little chance of making. He only pulled it to above his knees. It was 2.30pm now, and he had no food in him or energy.

that 210kg opener was enough to clinch the Gold by 5kg. we had to be smart today and check the ego at the door. He may never get the oppurtunity to lift at another WC, today had to be about winning, not numbers. Max understood totally and lifted as well as he couldve under the conditions. This was his 4th comp in 4 1/2 months, thats insane.

He is beat up, and he knows it. Its the culmination of his first Powerlifting season, he needs to go out into a nice meadow and just graze for awhile, he has earned it.

Max will possibly be in the 90kg class next time he competes. He has another 20 months in this age group, all his competion is a year older, the guys at the Nats and the Worlds. He could really put up some good numbers by training at 82kg for a year and set some nice records, but thinking long term, its clear too see that he is too tall for his height, the strongest guys around here are much shorter than him.

As far as being proud of him, all I've heard since he won when I give him shit is

JUST LET ME GET MY GOLD MEDAL

I may just leave him behind, with his f u c k i n g gold medal

Markos seeing max win makes the donation all worth it.

Did he wear " I got 99 problems" ? That one would have stirred a few people over there.

What time does your flight arrive back in Melbourne? Might make a trip to the airport if it is early enough.

Have you heard max's new ringtone. Check his facebook. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

well done max,something you will never forget hard work can pay off,markos for showing a skiny kid whats poss,nina for feeding that machine and those great people for helping max and markos to get over there,im proud to be apart of such a great team.PTC.well done max c markopoulos.wc

Once again, thank you.

Max was born 5-5-92

Sean, it was my idea to have it as a ringtone, but I guess it suits him better

We get in at 5.30am Sean, on Thursday, I'll make him go to school, and he can take his f u c k i n g medal with him

To Spiros, Dim, Sean, Dave, Alen, Kelly, Nick and Mick, youre all his training partners, without you guys Max would NEVER had got to this level as quick as he did. He has only been PL since March, after his back healed from his stint in OL.

It has been a meteoric rise, one that CANNOT happen without the help of a strong lifting crew. It takes weaker guys a while to realise that powerlifting is indeed a team sport.

those freezing cold nights, those 20 rep squats, those 700lb rack pulls, those horrible UDL's, if each and everyone isnt doing it, then its easy to say "no"

Start saving fellas, cause next year your coming too.

I've had a LOT of LONG talks with parents and coaches. A lot of the kids were down on themselves. The judging was tough, real tough. Max got one red light on his opening bench because the bar sunk too far on his chest. WTF, he has hardly any mass, what did it sink in to lol.

You come to the Worlds for a Gold Medal, period. You set/break records at meets that dont have EVERYTHING hinging on them, that seems to be the general concencus with the coaches here, they have tunnel vision and are cautious with lifts. Very few encourage 4th attempts ion the squat and bench, save your energy, win the medal first.

I've learnt plenty here in the last few days. I plan to pick the brains of many more now that our comp is over. everyone is freely offering advice and sharing opinions, no secrets here.

Even Max's mates from the Russian Mafia are cool

Thats crazy! I competely agree with amac, max is inspirational. And the fact that he's younger than me certainly gets me a little fired up! If only I'd started doing weights earlier/had markos to coach me!

But seriously, max deserves every ounce of that gold. Enjoy the win!

Well done max, well done coach....show us the BLING!

You know do know its customary for your first training session back to be ONLY wearing the bling.

I think the PT's must have a comp on who can get there client to do the most moronic exercise or stretch. One guy had this nice looking girl laying face down on a bench, her legs contorted, while he pushed on her ass, I'd get slapped twice if I did what he was doing, one by the girl and one by Nina. And I'd have to charge Dave extra to watch.
Can't.Stop.Laughing HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

congrates, If the worlds are held in Oz next time it will be all the others with jetlag etc and MAX that will be in peek condition, would be massive ass kicking !!