• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Maintenance Calories

I recorded everything I eat on MyFitnessPal. If I am at home everything is weighed. If I go out for a meal I take a best guess. Been doing it for years now, most foods are saved on MFP so it takes less than 5 minutes a day.

I determined it by trial and error. Start off at a figure give it two weeks and adjust up or down depending on what the scales do. Give it two more weeks and repeat.

Activity levels vary daily but it averages out over a period of time. If you keep your calories level and adjust every couple weeks depending on what the scales say you will come up with a average maintenance calories for you.

What's your macro breakdown? 40:30:30? CPF

What's your macro breakdown? 40:30:30? CPF

Don't really have one.

I really only just aim for a protein target for the day and let the rest take care of itself, i aim for 200g minimum of protein. Used to be a lot higher but haven't noticed any difference since lowering it.

Fat ranges from 100-200 g

Carbs 200-500g

Really depressed reading through this thread and reaslising once again my metabolism must be completely fucked...

Struggle to lose weight eating 1000 -1500cals and i am 103 kg at the moment, as i posted a while again will have to work out my diet and suck up the inevitable weight gain and fix my metabolism over this winter. Period so i. Can do a decent cut before summer ...

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you...

if you are having trouble with metabolism, do what you can to raise it. Wash dishes rather than use machine, walk more rather than drive to local shops, take stairs rather than lift and so on. If you work in an office, get up as much as possible and walk around a bit for a few minutes.

Sure this is not much, but all these things help keep your base rate higher.

My resting pulse late at night or early morning (when woken) is high 40s or lower 50s, but during day it is always much higher (seldom below 90).

Really depressed reading through this thread and reaslising once again my metabolism must be completely fucked...

Struggle to lose weight eating 1000 -1500cals and i am 103 kg at the moment, as i posted a while again will have to work out my diet and suck up the inevitable weight gain and fix my metabolism over this winter. Period so i. Can do a decent cut before summer ...

That seems very low. As @spartacus said try upping your energy expended with the simple things. Another could be that your ratios need a change up. 40 40 20 I would say would be the most common but its only relative to how your body reacts to macros.
Also there are plenty of guys online atm talking about metabolic damage and things you can do to try and fix it. Layne Norton is probably the most vocal on the issue. Also Lyle Mcdonald has heaps on this too.

Yeah i am by far not a lazy person, dont do lifts, enjoy walking etc etc dont usually sit down to rest till about 8:30 at night as is usual with kids. I think the main issue is just my metabolism is fucked...

I am thinking the only real way to start fixing this is to start a log on here and start weighing my food, no so much so i dont over eat but to make sure i am eating enough....

My energy levels are generally fine and i dont have issues in the gym when lifting at lunch times.

So i am thinking of a blood test to check that everything is fine and there are no main issues there and then started a log and aiming for 2000cals a day for the first coupld of weeks increasing 200cals a day every 2 weeks till i get to 2600cals a day and seeing how things go

68kgs, 175cm/5"7 and roughly 2,600 calories, which seems a bit higher compared to some other numbers in this thread. Most macro calculator give me 2,200 for maintenance.

I track my calories almost daily, and weigh everything at home or try to eat at places that provide nutritional info or where macros are easy to count. I've been keeping a daily diet log since about September last year and average out the amount of calories, C:p:F and my weight weekly.

Outside the gym I'm not overly active, sometimes I go to the gym in the morning and then sleep all day.

Last edited:
Yeah i am by far not a lazy person, dont do lifts, enjoy walking etc etc dont usually sit down to rest till about 8:30 at night as is usual with kids. I think the main issue is just my metabolism is fucked...

I am thinking the only real way to start fixing this is to start a log on here and start weighing my food, no so much so i dont over eat but to make sure i am eating enough....

My energy levels are generally fine and i dont have issues in the gym when lifting at lunch times.

So i am thinking of a blood test to check that everything is fine and there are no main issues there and then started a log and aiming for 2000cals a day for the first coupld of weeks increasing 200cals a day every 2 weeks till i get to 2600cals a day and seeing how things go

On the plus it makes for a cheaper food bill.

IMO 200cals a day might be a little high.

I recorded everything I eat on MyFitnessPal. If I am at home everything is weighed. If I go out for a meal I take a best guess. Been doing it for years now, most foods are saved on MFP so it takes less than 5 minutes a day.

I determined it by trial and error. Start off at a figure give it two weeks and adjust up or down depending on what the scales do. Give it two more weeks and repeat.

Activity levels vary daily but it averages out over a period of time. If you keep your calories level and adjust every couple weeks depending on what the scales say you will come up with a average maintenance calories for you.

Same. Maintained for a month. Figured that was maintenance. (that includes measurements not just scales)

Neddysmith: I'd get blood tests done for sure. That seems crazy low if you are accurately counting. I'd say "most" people still under report by a bit though as it's not possible to be 100% accurate IMO. As long as you are consistent though, it's all good.

Same. Maintained for a month. Figured that was maintenance. (that includes measurements not just scales)

Neddysmith: I'd get blood tests done for sure. That seems crazy low if you are accurately counting. I'd say "most" people still under report by a bit though as it's not possible to be 100% accurate IMO. As long as you are consistent though, it's all good.

Speaking of under reporting calories. There was a show on foxtel with two adults claiming they ate only 1300 calories a day and could not lose weight. The show hired private detectors to follow them around for the week and estimated they actually ate around 3 times the calories they thought they did.

Not saying this is necessarily the case for those here and agree blood tests and a doc visit would be a good start.

Last edited:
haha 3x! Who are they trying to fool?! It's like the people on MFP who don't log "bad" days. Just because you didn't put it online doesn't mean your body doesn't count/store it.

haha 3x! Who are they trying to fool?! It's like the people on MFP who don't log "bad" days. Just because you didn't put it online doesn't mean your body doesn't count/store it.

Yep it was pretty much that.

Didn't count food they ate while they where cooking food.

Didn't count food they ate while on the piss.

Didn't count the odd snack here and there because they are only little snacks.

Didn't count the leftovers they finished of their partners plate at meals.

Lol.

They were 100% confused why they couldn't loose weight.

lol I think it's how these people rationalise their inability to lose weight.

denial.

ha and I log a tic tac if I happen to have one and shouldn't need to....ah well.

horses for courses....

Yep it was pretty much that.

Didn't count food they ate while they where cooking food.

Didn't count food they ate while on the piss.

Didn't count the odd snack here and there because they are only little snacks.

Didn't count the leftovers they finished of their partners plate at meals.

Lol.

They were 100% confused why they couldn't loose weight.

AHAHA

I saw a similar show with two lady friends, one overweight and one supper skinny. The larger friend claimed it was due to having a slow metabolism. So they did a heap of tests, and correctly tracked their food intake.
Turned the skinny chicks metabolism was actually slower due to her eating less food and the other chick was underestimating intake.

Been there done that, that's why I stopped counting after my last attempted cut, started on 2200cal, then stopped losing, dropped it to 2000, stopped losing again a week or so later, dropped it to 1800cal, stopped losing again and was always hungry added cardio lost a bit more before it all stopped again.

Hence my earlier discussion in another thread somewhere here saying that Calorie counting/deprivation does not work for ME, it seems to work for some, but my body seems to be good at adjusting very fast to only burn what I eat.

Try "Carb Nite' as it is supposed to 'fix' your metabolism according to the book, have a read of it and give it a shot, what have you got to lose??

That's pretty much how I used to do it, used MFP as well, makes it quite easy to track.

@ Big Mick

I was looking into CBL which i believe is the new version of Carb Nite both by John Kiefer?

However, my issues are as follows, both seem to advocate training late in the day and then filling up with carbs afterwards which is fine, however, I train during my lunch break and i am not sure if carbing up for the rest of the day would be suitable.

I did quite like the idea of CBL and thought it would have been reasonably easy to follow, the only catch was the training time.

any suggestions?

Big Mick: improving insulin sensitivity is not the same as fixing/restoring metabolic adaptation.

@ Big Mick

I was looking into CBL which i believe is the new version of Carb Nite both by John Kiefer?

However, my issues are as follows, both seem to advocate training late in the day and then filling up with carbs afterwards which is fine, however, I train during my lunch break and i am not sure if carbing up for the rest of the day would be suitable.

I did quite like the idea of CBL and thought it would have been reasonably easy to follow, the only catch was the training time.

any suggestions?

I have read both books, both are different, 'Carb Nite' would suit you perfectly if you train at lunch time. You do not have a daily carb back load, on Carb Nite, you only back load once a week for 6 hours preferably after a hard training session.

Both books have a different purpose, one does not supersede the other.

Have a read of it and give it a run, I did carb nite for one cycle (yes you cycle it, it's not a permanent diet you stay on for ever) and lost 9kg while still gaining strength and eating till I am stuffed every day of the week never feeling hungry, am off it now, and can say my metabolism seems to be a lot better, as I can eat till I am full and appear to be more or less maintaining, with a small gain in weight.

Will probably do another cycle of Carb Nite after July to get my body fat a bit lower as I want to see some abs, concentrating on gaining muscle at the moment.

Not really using any supplements any more either and seems to be great. Only have Swisse multivitamin AM/PM and fish oil tablets, no creatine, no BCAA's and only the occasional WPI shake may be 2-3 times per week as a snack when I could not be stuffed eating.

EDIT/PS:
Just seen your log, and your training seems similar to mine, as I train one body part per day as well only about 30-40 minute sessions

Last edited:
Thanks mate, might give this a read and see what i think, but i think the first thing i will be doing is doing and getting my bloods done just to make sure before i start this there isnt anything there which would hinder progress, plus it has has been a while since i have had bloods done anyways...