• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Maintenance Calories

M@YHEM

Just wondering what are peoples maintenance calories are and at what weight. I know there are a million formulas but am interested to know real world figures.

I weigh about 91kg and am maintaining with an average of about 2650cals

86kg 3150cals.

I actually asked this on MFP the other day. I think I got some dreamer answers though.

for those maintaining weight | MyFitnessPal.com

ScreenHunter_196%252520Jun.%25252006%25252013.10.jpg

what did you do on mfp to generate the results here? I'd be curious to see what I get for me based on their model.

then again, they don't factor in activity properly.

Just asked people for gross average cals who were maintaining so the likelyhood of getting accurate results is minimal but interesting nonetheless. Got me thinking why all these people want to drop to bw x10 and below to drop weight when apparently there are so many maintaining on bw x18ish :p

or they are SUPER cardio bunnies

Just asked people for gross average cals who were maintaining so the likelyhood of getting accurate results is minimal but interesting nonetheless. Got me thinking why all these people want to drop to bw x10 and below to drop weight when apparently there are so many maintaining on bw x18ish :p

or they are SUPER cardio bunnies

i doubt they are :p

plus there are a lot of people with eating disorders on there. it's quite alarming :eek:

I take maintenance to be around BW in lbs x 16 for me (around 1650) and I think that is close to spot on, given recent experience. I'm on 1800 at the moment.
I stopped increasing it weekly (reverse diet style) last week for an experiment to end of June. Looks like I'm still gaining on that much so want to see what happens at EOM.

I'm 158cm (just above 5'2") and weigh 46.6kg (just over 102lb) so close to that example you had.
She won't be losing on 2000kcals per day unless she's VERY ACTIVE.
I'm rather active I think :D
I am gaining on 1800kcals and was gaining on less than that.

ummmmm

Last year when I wasn't injured I was at about 95kg and had to boost my calories to 5000 to maintain.

Interesting read, and a lot of variations here.

May be people posting should add how accurately and how they work out their calories.

Are you doing a weekly average?? Monthly average?? Count every scrap you eat daily?? Take a stab in the dark??? And how did you determine the numbers you mentioned??

My activity level varies greatly and can be anything from a very active day riding dirt bikes, running around, swimming, playing sports to just lazing around on the lounge. Wouldn't my requirement be hugely different on these various day??

By the way I generally just eat till I am full, and try and avoid rubbish and empty calories, seem to be maintaining fine.

I'm a bit the same as you Big Mick, havent really tried to hit specific macros just eat whenever Im hungry until Ím full. Thinking about starting to watch my calories a bit more, seemed to have gotten stuck at 80kg

Really depressed reading through this thread and reaslising once again my metabolism must be completely fucked...

Struggle to lose weight eating 1000 -1500cals and i am 103 kg at the moment, as i posted a while again will have to work out my diet and suck up the inevitable weight gain and fix my metabolism over this winter. Period so i. Can do a decent cut before summer ...

Interesting read, and a lot of variations here.

May be people posting should add how accurately and how they work out their calories.

Are you doing a weekly average?? Monthly average?? Count every scrap you eat daily?? Take a stab in the dark??? And how did you determine the numbers you mentioned??

My activity level varies greatly and can be anything from a very active day riding dirt bikes, running around, swimming, playing sports to just lazing around on the lounge. Wouldn't my requirement be hugely different on these various day??

By the way I generally just eat till I am full, and try and avoid rubbish and empty calories, seem to be maintaining fine.

I recorded everything I eat on MyFitnessPal. If I am at home everything is weighed. If I go out for a meal I take a best guess. Been doing it for years now, most foods are saved on MFP so it takes less than 5 minutes a day.

I determined it by trial and error. Start off at a figure give it two weeks and adjust up or down depending on what the scales do. Give it two more weeks and repeat.

Activity levels vary daily but it averages out over a period of time. If you keep your calories level and adjust every couple weeks depending on what the scales say you will come up with a average maintenance calories for you.

I am not counting all the time at moment as in a groove, but calories about 2500 per day. Have been losing weight very slowly; down to 91kg this morning, but feel I am building leg muscle again after longstanding fracture in knee. Waist down from 1m to 92cm, albeit I have lost 10% of my upper body strength (probably more due to lack of intensity in training).

only 2 weight and cardio sessions a week, but hope to step it up very soon, 3 times weights, road cycling and running and sprinting on grass, which should help me lose the 2kg more needed to get down to 89kg. Will stick to 2500 calories, as lower calories more likely to lose muscle.