• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
This.

People, bodybuilders, powerlifters, athletes - eat in a number of different ways - take aspects of different styles of diets, follow one diet to the word etc etc - but at the end of the day be consistent with what your doing once you find something that works for you.

I am personally (as stated) a huge believer in getting most of my food from protein and fats - I don't totally disown carbs - I will mix them in here and there depending on the goal at the time.

From one person to the other - one may totally believe in something and it works, someone else may believe in something else and it works - but they both can't agree either is best....

Use some common sense....and also be consistent with training - as much as alot of you go on about diet - how many of you can say you are 100% committed to training and are doing it consistently?
Sage advice

i am looking forward to seeking what a lower carb diet will do to my fasting glucose levels down the track.

I used to eat 10% fats in diet, maybe that is why I my glucose levels have increased in recent years; we shall see.

Eating an even proportion of calories from carbs and fats has not had nay noticeable effect on my energy levels thus far, but it has only been a week of counting.

The prestigious peer reviewed journal of elitefts.

I stopped reading articles there when it turned into t nation under a different name.

i am looking forward to seeking what a lower carb diet will do to my fasting glucose levels down the track.

I used to eat 10% fats in diet, maybe that is why I my glucose levels have increased in recent years; we shall see.

Eating an even proportion of calories from carbs and fats has not had nay noticeable effect on my energy levels thus far, but it has only been a week of counting.

Last time I had my blood glucose tested it was 2 point something and that was when I was eating 400+ grams of carbs a day.

yes, I may have a genetic reason for my level; that is what I want to find out.

My insulin sensitivity test was perfect.

when you say 400+, is that on a high calorie diet, say 5000.

Also, do you have any idea what your fat grams would have been when eating 400+ carbs? I would imagine you do not hold back on any energy group.

Just interested.

It's only about 15 years late, but yes, it works a treat.

The most salient point mentioned on the program is there "there are no essential carbs". You can live your entire life healthy and strong with zero carbs. Not that you have to, but you can. Take out fat and/or protein and you will die.

In the bb/power community, we still have this shit advice that you need carbs to grow. Muscle is not made of carbs. Never has been never will. Carbs are just entertainment.

i cbf googling it to sound smart but isnt part of muscle glucose or glycogen? so part of muscle can come from carbs. Plus i feel a lot better eating them. I dont feel strong not eating them.

Last edited:

well thats part of the problem, your not following the guidelines, and if your diabetic or pre-diabetic (i think you may be from other posts), then these facts are IMPORTANT.

Its called a low carb diet, not an "equal fats and carbs diet"

You need high fats, med protein and low carb or it won't work... you can't make up your own "carbs and fats" ratio's and expect it to work in the same way.

Its specifically designed for minimal insulin response, in an attempt to make you much much more insulin sensitive over time, which will allow you to process the carbs hitting your bloodstream as glucose better, which in turn has may positive effects!

Having high fat AND high carb (or med fat/med carb) DOES NOT ACHIEVE THIS!!!

i cbf googling it to sound smart but isnt part of muscle glucose or glycogen? so part of muscle can come from carbs. Plus i feel a lot better eating them. I dont feel strong not eating them.
Yeah but the liver produces sufficient glycogen on a LCHF diet (even for athletes) that you don't need carbohydrates. Watch the Catalyst episode in the OP the tackle this issue.

In terms of your personal experience not feeling strong on LCHF, it's probably because you haven't given yourself long enough to become fat adapted.

Yeah but the liver produces sufficient glycogen on a LCHF diet (even for athletes) that you don't need carbohydrates. Watch the Catalyst episode in the OP the tackle this issue.

In terms of your personal experience not feeling strong on LCHF, it's probably because you haven't given yourself long enough to become fat adapted.

I gave it around two years and still felt lethargic and weak. I'm guessing that's not long enough either.

To be honest, a low or zero carb diet is a case of over simplifying your diet. If you're sensitive to carbs, when you cut them out you'll feel better no doubt, but you're also missing out on their benefit, a fast acting energy source.

As was stated earlier, but used against me, it's like cracking a nut with a sledge hammer. You cut out some carbs and feel better, so that must mean cutting out more carbs will make you feel infinitely better. But with cutting them out, you'll taking away the negative effects they have on your body, but also the good effects.

I think a low carb diet (20-30% of macros) is fine, and is probably optimal when consumed around training times. But I think just cutting them out completely is an easy way out instead of dialing them into your diet to work for you.

No, I am not interested iyet in low carbs option. I am trying moderate carbs-fat option first, as suggested below.
I will get a similar amount of energy from fats and carbs.

I find it hard to believe that this option would not provide some correlation if theory of low carbs works, but we shall see from fasting tests in 5 months time.

Lyle Macdonald Chart
Ok, now you’ve hopefully got a better idea of which diet approach may be the most ideal for you. To make it a little more clear, I’m going to try to summarize all of the above information into a chart so you can see how the different variables interact.
Diet
Activity Level
Insulin Sensitivity
Carb Choices
Carb Addict
Stubborn Fat
High-carb/low-fat
High
High
Low GI
No
NO