• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
So when you lack carbs and you re-feed is that called "Carbon-re-hydrate" ?

249e766c9b45f7f9c3cd7bb5141ef156.jpg

in the 70's weider and Hoffman, through their magazines stated protein good, carbs bad, and it's stuck.

Well if it stuck we would not have mass gainers (cheap protein WPC with lots of sugar) and the pervasive "slam down carbs in the post work out window" horse shit.

I believe carbs are more important in building muscle and essential to good health than are proteins.

Um. Well, I guess we all have the right to choose our own religion. Did you know that there is, today, an actual Flat Earth Society?

Carbs supply hydrated carbons...car-bo-hydrate

Well, alrighty then….

the bodies preferred source of energy

Um. Well, if you are eating carbs, they transfer to sugar pretty much without using any energy so the body obviously chooses the easiest path. Which is part of the reason why fat people are fat. Protein takes about 30% of the ingested calories to be processed, carbs take stuff all energy to process.

and most important from a bodybuilding perspective, carbs are protein sparing, sparing means that adequate carbs allow a moderate amount proteins to go a long way, by adequate means that 50% of daily cals should be carbs.

Ferk. Um. Well of course if you are eating sugar your body is going to use that as a priority because…. well, read the above. Obviously if you are eating primarily protein and fat then the body is using fat AND breaking down protein for energy and glycogen replenishment. But since the diet is high protein and fat, then its not an issue. In fact its a positive point. You can eat more, be satiated and not get fat.

protiens can then be used directly for building and repairing which is their primary function in human nutrition.

Well, I'm glad we sorted that out.

And I've always marveled how strong a gorilla is.

Cows are strong too. Lots of bull there. And hamsters. Those fukkers are killing machines. How many carbs does a lion eat? I think we got off track here.

Bottom line: do what you want. Just stop spreading the myth that you MUST HAVE carbs to grow.

Last edited:
Eat more and not get fat?

Eat more than you burn...and you'll put on weigh. It doesn't matter what you are eating more of.

I missed the start of the show but I don't recall it talking about training too build muscle. Recollect it was mainly about losing weight/fat. Also seem to recall it still mentions eating carbs only the amount and type should change. I am sure it still recommended eating certain veges.

I certainly could relate to the bit about hospital diet for diabetics. I have seen confusing things on the diabetic menu when my Father was in hospital.

Well if it stuck we would not have mass gainers (cheap protein WPC with lots of sugar) and the pervasive "slam down carbs in the post work out window" horse shit.

Um. Well, I guess we all have the right to choose our own religion. Did you know that there is, today, an actual Flat Earth Society?

Well, alrighty then….

Um. Well, if you are eating carbs, they transfer to sugar pretty much without using any energy so the body obviously chooses the easiest path. Which is part of the reason why fat people are fat. Protein takes about 30% of the ingested calories to be processed, carbs take stuff all energy to process.

Ferk. Um. Well of course if you are eating sugar your body is going to use that as a priority because…. well, read the above. Obviously if you are eating primarily protein and fat then the body is using fat AND breaking down protein for energy and glycogen replenishment. But since the diet is high protein and fat, then its not an issue. In fact its a positive point. You can eat more, be satiated and not get fat.

Well, I'm glad we sorted that out.

Cows are strong too. Lots of bull there. And hamsters. Those fukkers are killing machines. How many carbs does a lion eat? I think we got off track here.

Bottom line: do what you want. Just stop spreading the myth that you MUST HAVE carbs to grow.

Fat converts to body fat much more efficiently than carbs convert to body fat.

Sledge hammer on a thumb tack. You don't need it. Have a look at the pic of Jon Anderson. ZERO carbs. 365 days of the year. Do you look like him? Thought not.

Insulin is not a growth hormone. Growth hormone is a growth hormone. Insulin is a shuttler of nutrients. Once it fills up your cells, it shuttles everything into fat cells. It does not take a cup of sugar to do its job.

So now we're going to compare bodybuilders and powerlifters who eat carbs vs those who don't? I have no doubt a zero carb diet will work for some people, but like with all diets, there is no one-size-fits-all. Many many people, well the majority of body builders do eat carbs and obviously get amazing results.

I admit I'm not smart enough to know the ins and out of human physiology, but I do know when people make sense.

This video has a great explanation of how carbs effect the body and how to use them to your advantage.

the bodies preferred source of energy and most important from a bodybuilding perspective, carbs are protein sparing, sparing means that adequate carbs allow a moderate amount proteins to go a long way, by adequate means that 50% of daily cals should be carbs.
protiens can then be used directly for building and repairing which is their primary function in human nutrition.

This ^^

And I've always marveled how strong a gorilla is.
Dem gorillaz is strong.

IMO, aside from metabolic effects etc. carbohydrates are an important source of energy for people consuming high cal each day. Once you're eating above 4500-5000 cal to get all your cal/Kj form fats and proteins will necessitate that most people have an elevated saturated fat intake proportional to their elevated non saturated fat intake, i.e. the proportion of sat to no sat fats may not change but because of the much higher intake a much larger amount of sat fats will be consumed. I doubt any health professional would recommend this for a sustained portion of one's life. As iterated above a couple of times, a balanced diet the majority of the time will do me thanks very much. Yes there are times where one can achieve desired results by manipulating your diet e.g. no carb for short term periods, to your benefit.

Although it may not exist, it would be interesting to see some factual data on the amounts of muscle loss encountered by people dieting on keto vs moderate-high carb intake. I'm not pre-empting a result, but would love to see. The results may be surprising (one way or the other).

Don't forget our bodies are designed to process carbs first and foremost. People seem to be demonising carbs, assuming all carbs are highly processed sugar filled junk foods, and are forgetting that there are many healthy sources of carbohydrates with high micro-nutrient value. Balance people, balance.

This is pretty funny :)

BTW Alan Aragon vs Gary Taubes debate in Feb I believe.

Can't be bothered finding the link but Aragon vs some other low carber at the last conference happened. It was regarding endurance exercise and HCLF. Think it's on his blog.

And FWIW, I've done both types plenty of times now. Strength is shit on low carbs. Eat a banana or 2 pre training and I'm good to go. My n=1 experiment says to me that carbs increase gym performance therefore I eat them.

Non training peeps can definitely get away with much lower than "normal" carb (and fat) intake.

I don't realyy know too much about the complexities of the diet side of life.

But too me, this is a salient point; sustained portion of one's life.

there are a whole lot of factors in terms of building muscle, as evident by the difficulty of retaining muscle when one is in a negative calorie mode no matter how much protein you eat.

Both fats and carbs are protein sparing with regard to purpose of building muscle, so views about impact of fats and carbs and their role are indeed relevant.

His references fly in the face of a lot of studies I've read myself. Fair to say there is science backing both sides of this argument but I know what works for me.

There sort of its but let's just say the majority are not on the keto / low carb / Paleo side of the debate.

What ever you do don't reference Taubes.