• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
smiley-face-clip-art-thumbs-up-clipart-two-thumbs-up-happy-smiley-emoticon-512x512-eec6.png

How am I contradicting myself?

I believe that we should get most of our food sources from meats, animal fats, nuts, fatty fish, oils, avocados, eggs etc

Of course when your not dieting add some forms of carbs in there, oats, rice, pasta etc - this changes from person to person though - I know some guys that can eat 500g+ of carbs everyday - if I look at a bowl of rice I put on weight - use your common sense, and get to know your body.

This is simply my personal view - and before you ask no I don't have an article backing it up, no I don't have a university study, no I don't have blind trials.

First you say balanced diet. Then you go on about how keto is the way most people should eat. Keto is anything but balanced.

What are blind trials. Do you have to skull a bottle of vodka before you do the trial.

Sure meats, nuts, oils are great but why are they any better than grains, potatoes, fruits, veggies and rice.

Rice isn't making you put on weight excess calories is.

First you say balanced diet. Then you go on about how keto is the way most people should eat. Keto is anything but balanced.

What are blind trials. Do you have to skull a bottle of vodka before you do the trial.

Sure meats, nuts, oils are great but why are they any better than grains, potatoes, fruits, veggies and rice.

Rice isn't making you put on weight excess calories is.

People react differently to different kinds of food.

When I say eat a balanced diet I don't mean 100g of protein, 100g carbs, 100g fat - still eat some carbs but personally I believe the main focus should be fats and proteins even when not dieting....

People react differently to different kinds of food.

When I say eat a balanced diet I don't mean 100g of protein, 100g carbs, 100g fat - still eat some carbs but personally I believe the main focus should be fats and proteins even when not dieting....

Why.

Because appearing on a TV show means it is a per reviewed and generally accepted scientific theory.

Its got nothing to do with appearing on TV. Everything presented there is old news, well and truly tried and tested science. What the TV program was highlighting is that low carb not only works but the food pyramid that has been trumpeted since the 50's is arse backward, pushed by the big food producers.

What was interesting about the examples shown, they included both athletes (one of them a professional) and "Joe Average" non athletes. All found positive health benefits to using a low carb diet.

Red meat, bacon, butter, etc. Results were better cholesterol results, body fat loss and, with the diabetic, much improved health markers.

If you want to use carbs as part of your diet, knock yourself out. They are fun. Just not necessary.

Protein for muscle repair
Carbohydrates for muscle growth

Carbs never built a single muscle cell. Ever. Fill it with glycogen, yes. But build it? Nope. They are made up of amino acids and fat.

You don't even need carbs to fill the cell. Fat and protein can be converted to glycogen. It just takes a little more energy to do so, helping with fat loss by using up calories.

Carbs never built a single muscle cell. Ever. Fill it with glycogen, yes. But build it? Nope. They are made up of amino acids and fat.

You don't even need carbs to fill the cell. Fat and protein can be converted to glycogen. It just takes a little more energy to do so, helping with fat loss by using up calories.

Yep who ever thinks carbs build muscle are in the wrong game.....never heard that one before.

I actually set it to record a week ago and watched it last Thursday on ABC.

You just confirmed my point; athletes benefit from carbs. I would certainly class weight lifters or gym rats in the athlete category opposed to a long distant runner category. Lifting heavy weights require relatively short bursts of intense force. Yes, fats and protein will provide energy to do this, but it isn't optimal. It's one of the reasons pre and intra workouts are loaded up with carbs and some sugars.

Why is it not optimal? If your glycogen levels are full, what more do you need?

The reason why pre and intra workout products are full of sugar is because it's a cheap filler. Its a very expensive drink with caffeine and sugar to make you feel jumpy.

I think it was on Elitefts site a couple of weeks back which looked at carbs and training. There were no positive reasons to use carbs if you have normally filled glycogen stores.

Try it yourself. Have 3 low carb days in a low to deplete glycogen and do an intense workout. You'll have no where near the energy compared to consuming carbs and sugars before the same workout.

3 days? Try two to 8 weeks. Your body will adapt to using fat and you will actually feel stronger, fresher, faster and happier. I have set national powerlifting records training on 30g of incidental carbs. I have put on many kg of muscle while keeping bodyfat levels in check. It works.

When you initially go low carb, you will feel tired and shitty around day 3. That's why most bros fail on a low carb diet. They never get to the point where they are fat adapted. They hit the 3 day period and give in to the bb supplement propaganda. "I'm tired so I must be getting small and losing muscle. Gotta chug down a cup of sugar in my mass gainer to get dem gainz back."

Insulin is a growth hormone. You can eat lettuce if you want post workout which will barely trigger an insulin response. Or you could eat carbs pre and post workout to trigger a greater insulin response, which is exactly what you want after breaking down your body in the gym so your body gets the signal to grow.

Sledge hammer on a thumb tack. You don't need it. Have a look at the pic of Jon Anderson. ZERO carbs. 365 days of the year. Do you look like him? Thought not.

Insulin is not a growth hormone. Growth hormone is a growth hormone. Insulin is a shuttler of nutrients. Once it fills up your cells, it shuttles everything into fat cells. It does not take a cup of sugar to do its job.

If you want to take advantage of insulin's properties, just use a phase shift diet like the Metabolic Diet put together by ex powerlifter Dr Mauro Dipasquale.

This is all proven science. It may hurt mentally to accept that but thats how it all works. You don't have to cut out carbs. Go for your life. If it makes you think you are getting big, even when its only the protein and fat doing all the heavy lifting, then everyone is happy.

woody,

just curious, I am still eating 50% carbs.

What do you suggest as split between 3 groups (protein, fats and carbs).

I want to get down to 86kg for masters 200m by early March 2015. Currently 91.5kg

Its got nothing to do with appearing on TV. Everything presented there is old news, well and truly tried and tested science. What the TV program was highlighting is that low carb not only works but the food pyramid that has been trumpeted since the 50's is arse backward, pushed by the big food producers.

What was interesting about the examples shown, they included both athletes (one of them a professional) and "Joe Average" non athletes. All found positive health benefits to using a low carb diet.

Red meat, bacon, butter, etc. Results were better cholesterol results, body fat loss and, with the diabetic, much improved health markers.

If you want to use carbs as part of your diet, knock yourself out. They are fun. Just not necessary.

The positives of low carb that you mention not scientifically proven. Low carb diets are just as much a fad and flawed as low fat diets.

Plenty of stuff we do and eat are not necessary but that doesn't mean its optimal to avoid them.

Anyone care to speculate on the theory posed in the episode that encouraging the feeding of carbohydrates to diabetics or the otherwise insulin resistant only to whack them full of insulin to re-stabilise blood sugar levels is a stupid idea?

woody,

just curious, I am still eating 50% carbs.

What do you suggest as split between 3 groups (protein, fats and carbs).

I want to get down to 86kg for masters 200m by early March 2015. Currently 91.5kg

Just get a copy of the Metabolic Diet or the Ultimate Diet by Lyle McDonald. The metabolic diet is fun cos it's cycles carbs in once a week.

Yes, low carb is great for cutting but people forget its also a very healthy and effective bulking and "everyday life" diet.

Whatever diet you use, just keep weight loss to under 500g per week to maintain muscle mass.

My instinct is to go moderate carbs and fats.

I like the author, he is not dogmatic. He says

'But clearly in other situations, moderate carbohydrates diets (still containing sufficient protein mind you) may be superior. For people who can control their food intake, many simply feel better with more moderate carbohydrate intakes, their training (especially high intensity training such as weights) doesn’t suffer as much, and they don’t feel quite as lethargic. Again, these issues are discussed in detail in the Comparing the Diets series.
I guess my point is that there is too much variance between individuals and their needs to claim that any single diet is inherently superior for all people and all situations. As this study suggests, given identical calories and protein intake, there doesn’t seem to be any inherent metabolic advantage in terms of total fat loss to a full blown ketogenic diet, at least not when compared to a moderate carbohydrate diet with an identical amount of protein'.

I think what has happened to me is that I went from a labourer, most of my life, to an office worker and kept carbs too high.

Maybe that is why my fasting glucose level has risen to 5.8, although my insulin sensitivity levels are still good.

I am going to try equal amounts of fat and carbs and see what happens.

in the 70's weider and Hoffman, through their magazines stated protein good, carbs bad, and it's stuck.

I believe carbs are more important in building muscle and essential to good health than are proteins.
Carbs supply hydrated carbons...car-bo-hydrate
the bodies preferred source of energy and most important from a bodybuilding perspective, carbs are protein sparing, sparing means that adequate carbs allow a moderate amount proteins to go a long way, by adequate means that 50% of daily cals should be carbs.
protiens can then be used directly for building and repairing which is their primary function in human nutrition.

And I've always marveled how strong a gorilla is.