• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Limits.

Once you dislocate your shoulder once it's much easier to dislocate it again, and no your CNS won't save you there.

I think Oliver might be talking about stuff like not being able to get a heavy deadlift off the ground with a double overhand grip, while switching to mixed will let you get the bar up easily.

Thats one thing it does. Shit still happens though.

How did you dislocate your shoulder big fella?

Playing basketball. Still scares me to go out on the court, hahaha

And I understand about bones/joints vs muscular failure. However, what evidence is out there to prove the cns will shut the body down. Plenty of pro's have gone beyond failure and hurt themselves.

A) It might help if you got someone to push out the extra rep for you. I find it helps me.

B) Yes, your form will never be as good on the last reps compared to the first reps, you are tired by then.

Note - if you are cutting (i thought you were), your strength generally will not go up as much as someone else who is bulking.

a) Yeah that would be nice but I rarely have a spotter, no worries as I couldn't count that rep anyway...

Nah Im not cutting, though I am running a lot. Just want to get stronger for now without getting too fat.

"Autonomic inhibition" is a mechanism the body uses to prevent muscles and tendons exceeding their strength limits. CNS will shut down motor neurons of muscles it perceives are near this limit. It will from protect you from exerting so much force from the firing of a muscle fibre that it will rip itself apart, or rip the attaching tendon from the bone.​

It will not protect against joint injury. It will provide limited protection against ordinary soft tissue injuries like tears but they can still happen. i've seen a few hamstring tears while people have been deadlifting. It will not protect against skeletal injuries.​

CNS inhibition works in conjunction with proprioception, ie your sense of where your body is in space and the feedback you get from your senses. If your grip the bar hard, this can reduce the autonomic inhibition effect and allow your body to fire muscles harder, which is why it's such a good cue in all lifts and chinups etc. This is why switching to mixed grip from double overhand on deadlift can make it seem so much easier. It's also why attitude and confidence is so important. If you approach any lift with a never say die attitude, it's likely to be a much safer lift.​

Autonomic inhibition can also shut down prime movers that should be moving the load, and then leave your smaller stabiliser muscles, joints and skeletal system to bear the brunt. Not sure much of an issue in deadlift. You just drop the bar. When you get under a bar, whether it's a squat or overhead press or whatever, it gets a lot messier.​

The other problem is that many of us, particularly those who have been quite sedentary or work desk jobs, have developed faulty unbalanced lengthening/shortening of muscles and inhibition of other mucles, which leads to faulty and potentially dangerous movement patterns. I'm speaking from experience because I'm one of them.​

If you have inhibited glutes/tight hip flexors (often accompanied by inactive/weak core) for example, in the deadlift you're going to struggle to maintain the back again off the ground and end up doing a half-SLDL at heavier weights. Now this is all quite normal for beginners, but if you do this to failure at maximal weights, you're putting yourself in danger of a disc injury.​

Even if you've been training for a while, you might be able to maintain correct technique at weights in the 80% range, but once you go higher and push your CNS, the faulty motor patterns and prime mover inhibitions will re-emerge and fuck you up.​

Training to failure has its uses, but I think it is best left to those who know what they're doing. Most of us can develop quite happily training at less than 90% and makes gains for a long time without ever failing once.​

The other problem is that many of us, particularly those who have been quite sedentary or work desk jobs, have developed faulty unbalanced lengthening/shortening of muscles and inhibition of other mucles, which leads to faulty and potentially dangerous movement patterns. I'm speaking from experience because I'm one of them.​

If you have inhibited glutes/tight hip flexors (often accompanied by inactive/weak core) for example, in the deadlift you're going to struggle to maintain the back again off the ground and end up doing a half-SLDL at heavier weights. Now this is all quite normal for beginners, but if you do this to failure at maximal weights, you're putting yourself in danger of a disc injury.​

This is of interest to me..
what's the solution?

You've pretty much described me in terms of work and problem with deadlift/hips and imbalances.

perhaps start a new thread on this subject.

This is of interest to me..
what's the solution?

You've pretty much described me in terms of work and problem with deadlift/hips and imbalances.

perhaps start a new thread on this subject.

It's a whole topic in itself. Solution depends on the actual problem - what is tight and what is inactive. The general strategy is relax and lengthen the inhibitors & activate and strengthen the inactive muscle. The two work hand in hand. If it's tight hip flexors/inactive glutes, this might be some drills like 90/90 split squats with isometric holds, hip flexor stretches and supine bridges every day. This is to activate. You then squat and deadlift as per normal to strengthen.

A very good coach will be able to identify some of these issues, but if you want to check it out yourself, google "Assess & Correct" and "Magnificent Mobility". Google inhibited glutes and do some reading, plenty of info out there including how to test for yourself. But it may or may not apply to you.

Last edited: