• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Introducing Body Evolution

Hey guys, sorry for the boring post but I've made some changes to the Body Evolution business model.

Check the links for all the details on the changes and hell, stalk me if you want :D

The BodyEvolution Report: Time for some self promotion. Body Evolution's services explained.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Evolution-Body-Recomposition-Consultations

Also, just out of curiosity does anyone even give a shit about my real name and/or want to know it?

your facebook page doesn't work for me??

BTW your real name is MaxBrenner, just like your username

Hey Max, some really interesting articles on the facebook page. The one that stood out for me is the high intensity vs the low intensity cardio. So from the article, it seems that the net EE over 24 hours does not change. So if I wanted to 'shred' a few kg of fat whilst minimising muscle breakdown, would it be more beneficial to do low or high intensity cardio? It seems high intensity cardio is more effective (could possibly be broscience) for people wanting to 'cut' down, however, this articles states otherwise? (I do know it is only one of many articles and there are limitations and I shouldn't base my learnings from just one article) but, I am interested to see what your thoughts are?

Just realised that was a slightly dumb question. Haha, obviously if both are giving out the same EE over the 24h period, most people would choose high intensity over low, due to time spent exercising, albeit slightly more demanding. But I'm still interesting to see your thoughts on this one.

Liam, your question is far too broad.

Are you fat, muscular, tall, sort, how often and for how long do you train, do you perform cardio. etc etc?

Just realised that was a slightly dumb question. Haha, obviously if both are giving out the same EE over the 24h period, most people would choose high intensity over low, due to time spent exercising, albeit slightly more demanding. But I'm still interesting to see your thoughts on this one.
Alan covers it really well -
• In acute trials, fat oxidation during exercise tends to be higher in low-intensity treatments, but postexercise fat oxidation and/or energy expenditure tends to be higher in high-intensity treatments.
• Fed subjects consistently experience a greater thermic effect postexercise in both intensity ranges.
• In 24-hr trials, there is no difference in fat oxidation between the 2 types, pointing to a delayed rise in fat oxidation in the high-intensity groups which evens out the field.
• In long-term studies, both linear high-intensity and HIIT training is superior to lower intensities on the whole for maintaining and/or increasing cardiovascular fitness & lean mass, and are at least as effective, and according to some research, far better at reducing bodyfat.

Here are some studies to read -
Impact of high-intensity exercise on energy expenditure, lipid oxidation and body fatness

ScienceDirect - Metabolism : Impact of exercise intensity on body fatness and skeletal muscle metabolism

Regulation of endogenous fat and carbohydrate metabolism in relation to exercise intensity and duration

Does the intensity of an exercise programme... [Int J Sports Med. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

In the end it comes back to what effects your weight training sessions the most. If you find doing HIT does not impact negatively on your weight training sessions, do LIC and vise versa.

Personally, I do NO cardio when doing a 'CUT' but if I did have to do it, because my fitness would be terrible, I'd be starting off with LIC and then build to doing some form of interval cardio.

hey maxbrenner aka kev

at 83kg, how much do calories will i need to eat on a cut?
As Shrek mention, there is just far to many variables that need to be taken into account before you can even get a decent ESTIMATE of the required calorie intake.

Best way to do it is use either one of the following equations/calculators Katch-McArdle or Mifflin-St Jeor or this nifty program LBM: Body Weight Simulator and simply start with the 'maintenance' caloric intake for 2-3 weeks and then adjust it as needed by 10% :)

Here KYK another good reads for you -

Concurrent Training: A Meta Analysis Exa... [J Strength Cond Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
The primary objective of this investigation was to identify which components of endurance training (e.g. modality, duration, frequency) are detrimental to resistance training outcomes. Methods: A meta-analysis of 21 studies was performed with a total of 422 effect sizes. Criteria for study inclusion were (a) compare strength training alone to strength plus endurance training (concurrent), or to compare combinations of concurrent training, (b) the outcome measures include at least one measure of strength, power, or hypertrophy and (c) the data necessary to calculate effect sizes must be included or available. Results: The mean ES for hypertrophy for strength training was 1.23, for endurance training was 0.27, and for concurrent training was 0.85, with strength and concurrent training being significantly greater than endurance training only. The mean ES for strength development for strength training was 1.76, for endurance training was 0.78, and for concurrent training 1.44. Strength and concurrent training were significantly greater than endurance. The mean ES for power development for strength training only was 0.91, for endurance training was 0.11, and for concurrent training 0.55. Significant differences were found between all three groups. For moderator variables, resistance training concurrently with running, but not cycling, resulted in significant decrements in both hypertrophy and strength. Correlational analysis identified significant negative relationships between frequency (-.26 to -.35) and duration (-.29 to -.75) of endurance training for hypertrophy, strength, and power. Significant relationships (P< 0.05) between ES for decreased body fat and % maximal heart rate (r: -0.60) were also found. Our results indicate that interference effects of endurance training are a factor of the modality, frequency, and duration of the endurance training selected.

Concurrent strength and endurance training. A rev... [Sports Med. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
Concurrent strength and endurance training appears to inhibit strength development when compared with strength training alone. Our understanding of the nature of this inhibition and the mechanisms responsible for it is limited at present. This is due to the difficulties associated with comparing results of studies which differ markedly in a number of design factors, including the mode, frequency, duration and intensity of training, training history of participants, scheduling of training sessions and dependent variable selection. Despite these difficulties, both chronic and acute hypotheses have been proposed to explain the phenomenon of strength inhibition during concurrent training. The chronic hypothesis contends that skeletal muscle cannot adapt metabolically or morphologically to both strength and endurance training simultaneously. This is because many adaptations at the muscle level observed in response to strength training are different from those observed after endurance training. The observation that changes in muscle fibre type and size after concurrent training are different from those observed after strength training provide some support for the chronic hypothesis. The acute hypothesis contends that residual fatigue from the endurance component of concurrent training compromises the ability to develop tension during the strength element of concurrent training. It is proposed that repeated acute reductions in the quality of strength training sessions then lead to a reduction in strength development over time. Peripheral fatigue factors such as muscle damage and glycogen depletion have been implicated as possible fatigue mechanisms associated with the acute hypothesis. Further systematic research is necessary to quantify the inhibitory effects of concurrent training on strength development and to identify different training approaches that may overcome any negative effects of concurrent training.

Neuromuscular adaptations during concurre... [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
The purpose of this study was to investigate effects of concurrent strength and endurance training (SE) (2 plus 2 days a week) versus strength training only (S) (2 days a week) in men [SE: n=11; 38 (5) years, S: n=16; 37 (5) years] over a training period of 21 weeks. The resistance training program addressed both maximal and explosive strength components. EMG, maximal isometric force, 1 RM strength, and rate of force development (RFD) of the leg extensors, muscle cross-sectional area (CSA) of the quadriceps femoris (QF) throughout the lengths of 4/15-12/15 (L(f)) of the femur, muscle fibre proportion and areas of types I, IIa, and IIb of the vastus lateralis (VL), and maximal oxygen uptake (VO(2max)) were evaluated. No changes occurred in strength during the 1-week control period, while after the 21-week training period increases of 21% (p<0.001) and 22% (p<0.001), and of 22% (p<0.001) and 21% (p<0.001) took place in the 1RM load and maximal isometric force in S and SE, respectively. Increases of 26% (p<0.05) and 29% (p<0.001) occurred in the maximum iEMG of the VL in S and SE, respectively. The CSA of the QF increased throughout the length of the QF (from 4/15 to 12/15 L(f)) both in S (p<0.05-0.001) and SE (p<0.01-0.001). The mean fibre areas of types I, IIa and IIb increased after the training both in S (p<0.05 and 0.01) and SE (p<0.05 and p<0.01). S showed an increase in RFD (p<0.01), while no change occurred in SE. The average iEMG of the VL during the first 500 ms of the rapid isometric action increased (p<0.05-0.001) only in S. VO(2max) increased by 18.5% (p<0.001) in SE. The present data do not support the concept of the universal nature of the interference effect in strength development and muscle hypertrophy when strength training is performed concurrently with endurance training, and the training volume is diluted by a longer period of time with a low frequency of training. However, the present results suggest that even the low-frequency concurrent strength and endurance training leads to interference in explosive strength development mediated in part by the limitations of rapid voluntary neural activation of the trained muscles.

Concurrent endurance and explosive type ... [J Strength Cond Res. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
The purpose of this experiment was to examine the effects of concurrent endurance and explosive strength training on electromyography (EMG) and force production of leg extensors, sport-specific rapid force production, aerobic capacity, and work economy in cross-country skiers. Nineteen male cross-country skiers were assigned to an experimental group (E, n = 8) or a control group (C, n = 11). The E group trained for 8 weeks with the same total training volume as C, but 27% of endurance training in E was replaced by explosive strength training. The skiers were measured at pre- and post training for concentric and isometric force-time parameters of leg extensors and EMG activity from the vastus lateralis (VL) and medialis (VM) muscles. Sport-specific rapid force production was measured by performing a 30-m double poling test with the maximal velocity (V(30DP)) and sport-specific endurance economy by constant velocity 2-km double poling test (CVDP) and performance (V(2K)) by 2-km maximal double poling test with roller skis on an indoor track. Maximal oxygen uptake (Vo(2)max) was determined during the maximal treadmill walking test with the poles. The early absolute forces (0-100 ms) in the force-time curve in isometric action increased in E by 18 +/- 22% (p < 0.05), with concomitant increases in the average integrated EMG (IEMG) (0-100 ms) of VL by 21 +/- 21% (p < 0.05). These individual changes in the average IEMG of VL correlated with the changes in early force (r = 0.86, p < 0.01) in E. V(30DP) increased in E (1.4 +/- 1.6%) (p < 0.05) but not in C. The V(2K) increased in C by 2.9 +/- 2.8% (p < 0.01) but not significantly in E (5.5 +/- 5.8%, p < 0.1). However, the steady-state oxygen consumption in CVDP decreased in E by 7 +/- 6% (p < 0.05). No significant changes occurred in Vo(2)max either in E or in C. The present concurrent explosive strength and endurance training in endurance athletes produced improvements in explosive force associated with increased rapid activation of trained leg muscles. The training also led to more economical sport-specific performance. The improvements in neuromuscular characteristics and economy were obtained without a decrease in maximal aerobic capacity, although endurance training was reduced by about 20%.

I hope everyone has had a great Xmas and holidays so far. For all those in the greater Brisbane area, watch this space! Body Recomposition is coming your way! If anyone is the area is interested please feel free to PM for details. More info will be released as it comes to hand. Stay safe everyone for the rest of the holidays!

Sorry for the spam advertising guys, I just wanted to let you all know :) Feel free to bash me :D