• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Intermittent Fasting

Simply for your height and the weight you would like to attain seems to be prodominent in the asian culture and their training methods. Just an observation

resurrecting an old post here but has anyone got any new information or experience with IF kind of interested in trying it now that I've done some research

From what i have seen it works when using artificial substances.

Naturally i wouldnt reccomend it.

If it worked bodybuilders would be doing it...

Muscles require protein at a given time... say throughout the day to reapir. If it isnt there it doesnt just wait till your feed at night to take what it needs it will go else where to find it.

Think of it like having nil bsalance in bank and a direct debit comes... Do u want to get paid monthly or weekly?? when u have debts coming out daily

I get paid fortnightly lol, i just have to budget. And yeh I definitely have my reservations but it would be interesting to try, not every day. But say once a week, fast for 24 hours and see how that goes in terms of keeping me lean while I put on weight.

I tried WD with great success at maintaining current mass while losing fat by having 3 small meals throughout the day consisting of, 20 grams of Glutamine/EAAs/BCAAs at 33/33/33% mix, followed by 30g Micellar Casein and about 100g Greek Yoghurt with some berries about 15 mins later, which I believe helped fill the protein deficit throughout the day somewhat.

resurrecting an old post here but has anyone got any new information or experience with IF kind of interested in trying it now that I've done some research

I took an interest in IF after seeing another guy on a different forum I frequent has great results with it. He's my height, was very similar build to me and has gone to ~70kg sub-10% BF. He looks bigger than me.

I've been doing IF for a month now and have lost about 1kg of fat. Haven't really fine-tuned my diet yet. I'm just eating the same stuff but within that 8h window. Oh btw I'm doing leangains.com and am on the two meals before workout plan.

ive been mucking around with lean gains for a few weeks as well. i did it for 2 weeks before easter and i just started again this week both times i lost quick weight (water weight i'd say) and strength gains but im basically untrained at the moment so neither of these things impress me just yet. what i do really like about lean gains though is the way it fits my lifestyle, i no longer spend an hour sorting 5-6 meals for the next day, i do 2 (lunch and afternoon snack), i get to eat as much as i want at dinner which is my post workout and i have not noticed any lack of energy at work or in the gym. whether theres any benefits to IF i really dont know and cant judge for the short time ive tried it but what i do know as it seems to suit my daily routine and its been easy to stick to which i normally cant stick to any diet for more than a week.

Last edited:
Same experience here. The leangains IF Two Meals Pre-Workout plan fits my lifestyle perfectly. I typically have a long lunch break, a late afternoon coffee break, train after work (9-5 job) and eat big after training, so IF fits it to a T. I still eat the same stuff I used to, but I don't have to stress over too many smaller meals. I also find that having a big dinner and skipping breakfast for some reason gives me plenty of energy in the morning and I'm slightly more productive at work then.

In the first two weeks I lost some quick water weight and went from almost 86kg in the morning to 82.5 at one point. It eventually went up as I started to get hydrated properly and ate more. Atm I'm at 84.5kg in the mornings, after a month of IF. This morning, as I put on an old belt, I noticed that it's the same notch I used when I was 71kg prior to lifting.

The weight loss around the gut has improved my deadlift leverage in conventional stance too.

I seemed to follow the similir IF diet some days when I get really busy and just eat bigger meals to make up for what I've missed. I'm thinking of trying Brad Pilons, Eat stop Eat. Where one day I don't eat for 24 hours once a week or maybe twice.

1. It will cut my food bill
2. It'll keep me lean while I hopefully put on weight.
3. Has IF had any effect in terms of increasing muscle mass?

Well gareer from my limited knowledge, i would say yes to number 3.

If you body becomes catabolic after x amount of time with no nutrients to aid in muscle recovery, how could not eating for 24 hrs be beneficial to building muscle..?

I think the best you could do would be take bcaa's to try and stay in an anti-catabolic state while you fast.. althought i really don't see the point.

Start shopping smart if foods expensive.. rocklea markets for eggs, $40 for 15 dozen free range eggs, hillmans meats at sumner park - $7.85/kg of rumps ( tasty and tender), buy the tuna on sale at the supermarket, i got 180g tin of solemare last week for like $1.50 or someshit..

I've been doing IF for 6 weeks and have made PB's on bench and SOHP doing 5/3/1, stayed same weight and reduced BF slightly. Works well for me so I'm sticking with it.

I'm doing it. Energy levels are fantastic. Weight is dropping steadily.

Today I woke up at 8, didn't eat untill 330pm after which I put away 4000 calories in just under 2 hours, mostly meat and veg. Trained at 730 and had BCAA drink during, but nothing after.

Are you eating 2 meals per day?

nah, just eat whenever I am hungry within 8hr period. Sometimes that is 2 meals, sometimes 4. No real plan to it except keeping protein up around minimum 1g/lb preferrably 1.5g/lb, carbs lower on non-lifting days (but not low low as I do mma training on my non-lifting days) and fats higher on non-lifting days.

You can play around with the total cals depending on goals
e.g.
Lose fat
lift: maintenance
rest: -500

recomp
lift +200
rest: -500

bulk
lift +500
rest: maintenance

Just examples but I would say I am attempting somewhere between recomp and bulk :p