• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Intermittent Fasting

god, i get angry when if i go 2 hours without eating. I'd be in prison at day 3 if i was that guy who didn't eat for a year. I know of that study. There was also a group of prisoners in the 50's that had a similar experiment. Mind you, people in the 50's have a complete different diet to what we have now, not only in terms of macro-nutrients, but also in the types of oils, the amount of processed sugars, they generally had a higher protein diet than joe average had.

I really do understand the whole warrior diet. I really do. I also really understand why it sucks & it's not plausable. SO you get hungry..so you reach for a few sticks of celery, which is what..90% water?

I get the jitters if I skip meals. Sortof an anxious feeling that makes me want to tear the nearest food source apart and eat everything til I'm satisfied.

I'm into my 5th consecutive day if this intermittent fasting diet.
So far so good, eating very healthy since I'm counting my calories accurately and eating very clean.

I too, used to get the really angry feeling when I was late for a meal in the past, but stopped feeling that way after realising that missing a meal is not so bad (except after workout), as long as at the end of the day I got my required calories.

Currently getting in close to 3000 calories from clean foods from my 3 closely spaced meals during the 8 hour feeding window.
Will bump it up slowly if I find myself not gaining over the next couple of weeks.

I also dislike homosexual sex i dont think i will be tryingit anytime soon
:D

In 3 years when i have my bachelor in nutrition then i will come back and comment on why it isnt the best way to go.

I would be concntrating more on proper diet and training properly then fad fasting.

Well, what exactly is a "proper" diet?

I think a well balanced, healthy diet which will provide lean muscle growth would be considered proper?

hlk can u give us an outline of what a standard day does (or should) look like?

For my schedule, its:

4:00pm 1st meal

Workout about 6 or 7pm, Mon/Wed/Fri

8:00pm 2nd meal

12:00 midnight (finish by 12) 3rd and final meal.

It's more of a lifestyle thing, not necesarrily the absolute perfect way to gain maximum mass gain, lose fat.
However, not having to spend time preparing and eating meals throughout the whole day makes my life so much more productive and my life does not have to revolve around my diet.

I also dislike homosexual sex i dont think i will be tryingit anytime soon
:D

In 3 years when i have my bachelor in nutrition then i will come back and comment on why it isnt the best way to go.

I'll be waiting in 3 years then.

That's how I used to eat, got me weighing 64kgs at 173cm, approx 8% BF.

More by accident than on purpose though.

I never ate breakfast, rarely ate lunch, always had tea til I felt full and that was it for the day.

Hi guys,

Just starting back training today after a couple of months off.
My goal is to do a slow recomposition of my body, get lean while slowly gaining lean mass.
No bulk and cut for me.

Intermittent fasting is basically a period of not eating for 16 hours, and then consuming all required calories within an 8 hour window.
I've done this before on an 8 week cut and it went well.
This time it will be used for muscle gain, while staying lean.

I find this method of eating very appealing, 1st meal of the day at about 4pm and last meal consumed by midnight.
This allows me to get plenty of work done throughout the day without having to stop to prepare and eat all the time, I don't tend to feel hungry during the fasting period.
Daily calorie consumption is still the key to gaining, regardless of meal timing or meal frequency.

Will update progress and results.

For more information on intermittent fasting, Martin's the man, see his website: www.leangains.com

Hello Hulk,

You're not a Muslim by any chance are you mate? What you've mentioned above is Islam and it's done during the holly month of Ramaddan. But there's more to this of course. Ramaddan is the month of spiritual, physical, and psychological alignment if you like...

Fadi.

Hi Fadi,

No, I am not muslim.
I just found this diet a while ago and see that many people are getting great results from it.

It's a lifestyle thing.
I'm usually very busy at work and can't keep watching the clock for every 2nd or 3rd hour to eat.
I could never keep to schedule like this and was often late for meals which messes up the whole schedule for the day.
It just puts extra pressure on me which I don't need.

I so much prefer this eating schedule and eating method.
I would not go as farr as the warrior diet of just 1 meal / day though.

i don't understand these guys who can't keep to an eating schedule.

For the last 4 years I've eaten every 2-3 hours. If i was on a plane, train, bus, car...i would always be prepared. When at work, i always had food handy (obviously pre arranged), so i could run into the staff room, prepare, polish off & in a few minutes be ready for the next few hours.

Because it isnt a priority to them.

Fact is you make time for what you deem to be important. People find time for T.v computer ps3 having a pull but they cant seem to cook a chicken breast and cut up a salad for lunch tomorrow.

Even pack a protein bar if it comes to that or buy somemilk for the fridge at work. When im doing security i always take lunch evern when i am out at an event i have a protein bar and nuts in my bum bag. And the rest of my meals in an esky for a cooler bag.

You can do it if u want to problem is people dont want to. Its easier to starve your body all day then cram food in one session.

i don't understand these guys who can't keep to an eating schedule.

For the last 4 years I've eaten every 2-3 hours. If i was on a plane, train, bus, car...i would always be prepared. When at work, i always had food handy (obviously pre arranged), so i could run into the staff room, prepare, polish off & in a few minutes be ready for the next few hours.

Yes and no.

There are days no matter how prepared i am it's not going to happen. Your statement is a great generalisation but i could show you days where it's bullshit. You need to differentiate between being lazy and the best that you can manage.

I bring meals to work but I also get pulled into meetings that can go for several hours, sometimes without notice. In those situations best plans go to sh!t - I can't and won't walk out of those meetings to go have a meal. I sit in meetings that go so long that smokers carry nicotine patches in their pockets so that when they realise we are somewhere for a while they can plug themselves in.

In the coming week I have a conference lasting all week that occurs each year at this time. Some of the days start at 730 (with a breakfast i'm expected to attend) and some of the days finish at 930 at night. It's offsite, all meals are catered (and in reality we work through breaks to sorts sh!t out so i don't have 15 minutes to run to a fridge that the staff have been good enough for me to use). Tell me how I'm supposed to eat on a plan when each session could go for 4 hours minimum and i work through the breaks?

When you're extremely busy and have higher priorities, a bodybuilding diet has to come 2nd, or be scheduled in a way more suitable to ones lifestyle.

While simultaneously operating an extremely busy import/wholesale/retail business, developing property and having a family, a bodybuilding style diet will always come 2nd.
A healthy diet though, will not come 2nd.

For example, a customer comes to you ready to place a 15k order and it will take a couple of hours to go all over the paperwork to complete the deal on the spot, just as you're about to have lunch. Are you going to tell him: sorry, got to eat now, can we maybe do this another time?
Or, if you're in real estate and a big fish from interstate wants to purchase something today to write off some tax deductions for the year, and wants you to drive him around for the few hours he's in town so he can select which property he want's to buy through you.

Unless you are a bodybuilder or professional athlete for a living, life gets in the way of a perfect diet.
8 meal/day schedules can't always be kept by those with busy lifestyles.

So in this case, I'd rather get 90% results for 10% effort when it comes to diet.
The all important 80-20 rule, or more like 90-10 in this case.

Of course life is busy for all of us.

But health should be our number one concern period.

I still hear plenty of excuses. no one has 8 hour meetings where no one is aloud to leave the room and no random person comes in wanting you to drive them around in real estate (i should know i did it) actually in real estate you are more then often not eating lunch with clients.

Basically if you want it bad enough you will find away.

Its not much harder then that.

EDIT: unless u are in army navy ect then it is up to you and your time management.