• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

In Defense of CrossFit

hence why I said anecdotal which most people who talk about injuries in Crossfit are referring to. I don't think the injury reporting is all that accurate, especially with the 'gung ho, tough guy' attitude of many Crossfitters.

Don't let that get in the way of you two attacking someone though, because its your typical posting styles.

Here is article I was referring to:

"Claiming to be the first statistics on CrossFit injuries published in a scientific literature, the researchers estimated the risk of injury to be 3.1 injuries per 1,000 CrossFit hours trained.

“Overall rate of injuries sustained during training are broadly similar to that reported in the literature for sports including weightlifting, powerlifting and gymnastics, and lower than that reported in competitive contact sports such as Rugby League and Rugby Union,” stated the researchers in an article in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research titled The nature and prevalence of injury during CrossFit training"

I apologise if my writing style come across as attacking, it's not my intention. However if that's how you read my writing I can't help that, I'm sure it would different if we were face to face, I'm really a nice guy..

I wrote, on here 3 years ago.

"crossfit wants to be a sport"
it has been succesful

it has also been responsible for getting people of their arses and better still off the treadmill

Regarding the Lack of Training

To say that all other courses require only 2 days to become certified doesn't make the fact that it only takes 2 days to become a crossfit coach any more acceptable. Sure there are terrible coaches in all forms of sport, however i think it is especially risky for crossfit coaches to be inadequately trained for 3 reasons;

1. The new and unaware nature of its participants

2. The short timeframe to fit in a WOD (1hr) - this is an incredibly short time to;

- coach the necessary skills for that days WOD

- at times there isn't enough time to get in enough warm up sets to get up to the prescribed weight

3. The large amount of participants in each session makes it hard to monitor those with less experience - also the weight you choose to go into a work out is usually at your own discretion, which can be perilous when you are filled with enthusiasm and are lacking the mobility/technique to push the weight

How long should it take to become a Crossfit coach? What would you do differently?

Good gyms will have on-ramp classes that new members have to "pass" before entering a group format.

Your grips come back to good and bad. What a wonderful world it would be if everything was just perfect.

How can argue with the prescription of "Mechanic, Consistency and Intensity" in that order, Crossfit 101. Learn the movement, perform it consistently, add some intensity. Does this happen? No. Is it Crossfits fault? No. Would more training for coaches resolve the issue? No. It's an ego thing. Not a coaching thing...

Anyhoo any activity that involves a barbell should not be a sport, cannot be called a sport, but more an exhibition of strength.

I wanna be lifting till they bury me. So until I see statistics on the LONG TERM safety of Crossfit it will remain a sport to me ie something done occasionally, not numerous times per week.

I wanna be lifting till they bury me. So until I see statistics on the LONG TERM safety of Crossfit it will remain a sport to me ie something done occasionally, not numerous times per week.

What sort of statistics would you expect to see? I'm sure we could draw a curve and predict with the current data we have, and I'd guess it would look similar to powerlifting and weightlifting.

What sort of statistics would you expect to see? I'm sure we could draw a curve and predict with the current data we have, and I'd guess it would look similar to powerlifting and weightlifting.

yep, I agree Powerlifting is fucked too, injury wise.

My concern is Crossfit is young. We haven't seen the degenerative injuries which take 10-20 years or more to show up yet.

Is this something you take into consideration before starting an exercise program? To be honest it's not something I really give consideration to and am usually more interested injuries week to week and use that as a guide of what to expect down the track

Is this something you take into consideration before starting an exercise program? To be honest it's not something I really give consideration to and am usually more interested injuries week to week and use that as a guide of what to expect down the track

I come from a Martial Arts background, so for me, pushing myself to the limits (to failure) is/was a habit. Even though I've got this "mentality" every rep is felt, theres a mind muscle connection, even when doing one of my favourite exercises Power Cleans, theres a strong focus on safe form.

I'm not bouncing at the bottom or swinging things which may lead to injuries.

I've seen a Crossfit class where theres a dozen or so people all doing Power Cleans to the tune of some instructor. That isn't promoting a mind muscle connection and a strong focus on correct form, its promoting a desire to keep up with the pace of the instructor or the rest of the group. Also those Kippings, bouncing at the bottom, that can't be good long term.

Last edited:
I come from a Martial Arts background, so for me, pushing myself to the limits (to failure) is/was a habit. Even though I've got this "mentality" every rep is felt, theres a mind muscle connection, even when doing one of my favourite exercises Power Cleans, theres a strong focus on safe form.

I'm not bouncing at the bottom or swinging things which may lead to injuries.

I've seen a Crossfit class where theres a dozen or so people all doing Power Cleans to the tune of some instructor. That isn't promoting a mind muscle connection and a strong focus on correct form, its promoting a desire to keep up with the pace of the instructor or the rest of the group. Also those Kippings, bouncing at the bottom, that can't be good long term.

Clearly that coach is a retard, the whole idea of Crossfit is to go at your own pace and a weight fitting for that rep scheme, besides that bring Sally up phase I've never seen a wod were you had to sit at a certain pace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly that coach is a retard, the whole idea of Crossfit is to go at your own pace and a weight fitting for that rep scheme, besides that bring Sally up phase I've never seen a wod were you had to sit at a certain pace

I just assumed that was how they were all run. (I actually smiled at the time, they each had their own smallish platforms.)

So the fact that a lot of Crossfit's events/tests are against the clock or each other, doesn't that promote bad form in training because your trying to do it as fast as possible?

I just assumed that was how they were all run. (I actually smiled at the time, they each had their own smallish platforms.)

So the fact that a lot of Crossfit's events/tests are against the clock or each other, doesn't that promote bad form in training because your trying to do it as fast as possible?

Most Crossfit gyms run a 2 part session, first part is some sort of strength/lifting workout such as 15 mins to work to a 1rm or 3rm snatch or 3x5 squat, then part 2 is the metcon high intensity style workout, the heavier high rep stuff is rarely run in the daily workout if it is You usually pick your own weight,

In a lot of athletic circles, it's expected that form will deteriorate in actual competition in order to be the fastest/strongest. However, it doesn't follow that form should be allowed to deteriorate in training. Obviously it'll depend on who's coaching as to what the athletes are allowed to get away with, but to put it into perspective, some fugly s#it happens in powerlifting competitions, but every PL coach I've interacted with encourages good technique in training, while knowing that things could still get fugly in competition. There's no reason why the same mentality could not be applied to Crossfit...but again, that's down to the specific coach.

I'm not a big fan of Crossfit, but a lot of the hate it receives is retarded. "lol u'll never get big lats from kipping." This is an example of judging the activity as bad because it doesn't do something that it isn't trying to achieve. Whenever we mock Crossfit for not being geared to make people as strong or as muscular as possible, we're judging it against an irrelevant standard. You don't judge the quality of a pig by its ability to breathe under water, or a fish by its ability to grow hair.

At the risk of getting involved in a pissing game here, anyone wanna critic the long term safety of this Crossfit "Queen's" form. How long are her joints gunna last doing this numerous times per week?

At the risk of getting involved in a pissing game here, anyone wanna critic the long term safety of this Crossfit "Queen's" form. How long are her joints gunna last doing this numerous times per week?

Trust me no one does Fran numerous times a week