• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to reach super low bodyfat levels

I believe Fadi is / was an weightlifter. ie Olympic Lifts such as Snatches and Clean & Jerks.

I assumed from the programs you made up and from your avatar that you were a powerlifter, sorry about the misunderstanding

Damien, I was an Olympic weightlifter from 1980-1984, then a bodybuilder from 1984-2009, and now I'm back to Olympic weightlifting. The avatar is of the 2004 Athens Olympic weightlifting Champion, the Bulgarian weightlifter Milen Dobrev fo the 94kg class.

040823_dobrev_vmed_2p.widec.jpg
06_milen_dobrev.jpg

Neither I nor my programs have anything to do with powerlifting.

Fadi.

I always wondered about your avatar Fadi. Fadi has the biggest natural man delts around. google "man delts" and you will see Fadi.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fadi, if you know anything about this 'niche' of the previous subject I would be curious to hear it:

Does glucagon promote amino acid breakdown as the primary energy source for fasted low intensity cardio work?

If the fasted state utilises fats as the main energy store for low level intensity, then surely the 30-40min or so of walking would be of benefit comparatively? (Assuming breakfast/refeed immediately after. I'm thinking of 8 hours sleep [fasting] + 30 min walking compared to 8.5 hours sleep?)

Derka, regardless of personal or scientific opinion what works for you works for you and may work for some others. Keep up the good work.

Fadi, if you know anything about this 'niche' of the previous subject I would be curious to hear it:

Does glucagon promote amino acid breakdown as the primary energy source for fasted low intensity cardio work?

If the fasted state utilises fats as the main energy store for low level intensity, then surely the 30-40min or so of walking would be of benefit comparatively? (Assuming breakfast/refeed immediately after. I'm thinking of 8 hours sleep [fasting] + 30 min walking compared to 8.5 hours sleep?)

Derka, regardless of personal or scientific opinion what works for you works for you and may work for some others. Keep up the good work.

Taken from the American journal of clinical nutrition

Ghrelin and glucagon-like peptide 1 concentrations, 24-h satiety, and energy and substrate metabolism during a high-protein diet and measured in a respiration chamber -- Lejeune et al. 83 (1): 89 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Conclusion: An HP diet, compared with an AP diet, fed at energy balance for 4 dincreased 24-h satiety, thermogenesis, sleeping metabolic rate, protein balance, and fat oxidation. Satiety was related to protein intake, and incidentally to ghrelin and GLP-1 concentrations, only during the HP diet.

click on the link to read the article.

HP = high protein 2.6 ± 0.3 g/kg

AP = adequate-protein 1.0 ± 0.1 g/kg

The important things i've noted from the study i've bolded in the conclusion to support my competiton diet.

Last edited:
Decreased insulin resistance leads to metabolic syndrome and further from that type 2 diabetes...

Caffeine Can Decrease Insulin Sensitivity in Humans ? Diabetes Care

Caffeine Can Decrease Insulin Sensitivity in Humans

The major finding of our study is that caffeine, in a dose that equals moderate consumption, decreased insulin sensitivity in healthy volunteers. Caffeine increased plasma catecholamines, plasma FFAs, and systolic and diastolic blood pressure. In contrast, dipyridamole had no effects on insulin sensitivity and only increased plasma norepinephrine levels. The decrease in insulin sensitivity we documented as result of caffeine ingestion is close to the magnitude of the increase in insulin sensitivity that can be achieved with glucose-lowering agents, such as metformin (20) and thiazolidinedione derivatives (21), and is therefore clinically relevant. Our finding may have serious health implications, especially when superimposed on already-disturbed glucose tolerance or established (type 2) diabetes.

Taken from the American journal of clinical nutrition

Ghrelin and glucagon-like peptide 1 concentrations, 24-h satiety, and energy and substrate metabolism during a high-protein diet and measured in a respiration chamber -- Lejeune et al. 83 (1): 89 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Conclusion: An HP diet, compared with an AP diet, fed at energy balance for 4 dincreased 24-h satiety, thermogenesis, sleeping metabolic rate, protein balance, and fat oxidation. Satiety was related to protein intake, and incidentally to ghrelin and GLP-1 concentrations, only during the HP diet.

click on the link to read the article.

HP = high protein 2.6 ± 0.3 g/kg

AP = adequate-protein 1.0 ± 0.1 g/kg

The important things i've noted from the study i've bolded in the conclusion to support my competiton diet.

So therefore you can see high protein diets which i am definitely bias towards do alter body composition favorably (increased fat loss). I usually use a 2.5-3g per kilogram of body weight for my days protein intake

So therefore you can see high protein diets which i am definitely bias towards do alter body composition favorably (increased fat loss). I usually use a 2.5-3g per kilogram of body weight for my days protein intake

x2

People who think they can eat 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight a day are kidding themselves.

250g of meat might look huge, but most of its content is water.

Plus, protein has a thermal effect. It allows you to eat MORE calories than youd otherwise be able to on a high carb diet.

x2

People who think they can eat 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight a day are kidding themselves.

250g of meat might look huge, but most of its content is water.

Plus, protein has a thermal effect. It allows you to eat MORE calories than youd otherwise be able to on a high carb diet.

Agreed, Also in regards to protien powder people get confused.. Say they have 1 scoop of wpc that is 60grams they think they have consumed 60g of protein because it is protein powder when in actual fact it is more like 45g i think..

Once you cook 250g of meat it is actually quite small...

I think he meant it simply isnt enough...

I think you can go higher than what derka says. Most studies on protein synthesis are done on 'recreational lifters' by lab coats who don't understand bodybuilding.

Macros tend to be a highly individual thing though (a lot of endos get along just fine with 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, on the other hand most hardgainers will suffer).

I think you can go higher than what derka says. Most studies on protein synthesis are done on 'recreational lifters' by lab coats who don't understand bodybuilding.

Macros tend to be a highly individual thing though (a lot of endos get along just fine with 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, on the other hand most hardgainers will suffer).

Usually the exercises are leg extensions lol it makes me giggle when ever i am looking through pub med.. :D

Does glucagon promote amino acid breakdown as the primary energy source for fasted low intensity cardio work

The simple answer is no, yet amino acids are broken down, just not as the primary source though. The primary source is liver sugar (glycogen). Just by supplying you with this answer, it should suffice to highlight and magnify why I’m not a supporter of cardio on an empty stomach in the early hours of the morning (after a night of fasting).

Okay, let me break it down for you this way:

Glucagon’s main role is to tell the liver “hey, the man is hungry but is not eating and we’re running short on blood sugar, so how about you donate some from your own sources and pour it into his blood stream pronto!” Now we know that apart from our muscles, the liver is the only other organ that stores sugar in the form of glycogen. Can you sense the problem that is coming Moon? If not, you will soon enough. So far we’ve established that the hormone glucagon stimulates the conversion of glycogen into glucose (glycogenolysis), in addition to stimulating the conversion of fat and protein into intermediate metabolites that are ultimately converted into glucose (gluconeogenesis).

Problem!

We’re running on empty early in the morning and on top of it, we want to go for a drive! You see, the liver’s glycogen light is showing the red light which means it’s not going to be able to supply us with the necessary fuel that we’re asking of it (through our messenger boy Glucagon). But we ignore the red light warning and still push on with our drive (cardio). Fuel has to come from somewhere.

Let it be known that fat is not going to be broken down without sugar (glycogen), and since our liver is showing its red light warning, then the next organ to donate its fuel and come to the rescue would be our precious muscles. I’m talking muscle glycogen here, the same glycogen that we’ve worked so hard to deliver to our muscles in the first place and make them look full as well as enable them to give us that skin tight muscle contraction (as opposed to being flat and tired). Now everyone should know why I recommended a small amount of juice early in the morning without fear of it turning into fat (or even preventing us from burning fat). What 100ml of apple juice would serve here is to prevent our muscles’ glycogen from being utilised as fuel for our cardio workout. Apple juice has fructose, not the most popular sugar in the world but you try telling your fructose starving liver that in the early hours of the morning…it will lap it up like water falling on a hot dry soil.

Onto a different point now, that is of having a high protein meal that is also low in carbs. Here again, glucagon has a role to play (in munching/wasting) some of your ingested proteins.

How?

Now we know that (my favourite hormone) insulin has a huge role to play when it comes to depositing your ingested protein (later amino acids) into your muscles. But what happens when you don’t have enough carbs to go with your proteins? Well, very little glucose enters your blood stream from your gut, which results in a huge drop of blood glucose concentration (levels). But never fear when glucagon is near (and it’s always near to lend a hand to King insulin). Here under this dangerous circumstance (that you the bodybuilder is not aware of since it’s all running on automatic inside of your body), glucagon is secreted to raise blood glucose levels (yes you guessed it, by converting some of your ingested proteins into glucose-a la gluconeogenesis).

So in a nutshell, where insulin turns amino acids into muscle proteins so that they are less accessible for gluconeogenesis, glucagon makes more amino acids available for gluconeogenesis.

By the way, amino acids are friends of both the anabolic insulin as well as the catabolic glucagon. They have no choice but to stimulate the secretion of both hormones you see, since the Master (our brain) demands it, as it thrives and loves nothing more than glucose…where all roads would ultimately lead for its ultimate survival.

Fadi.

Last edited:
What about an apple, ginseng and glass of water. Would a full apple be a problem? I'm not a fan of drinking any calories except for milk and protein shakes. I would just prefer to eat and fill my bottomless pit as much as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

What about an apple, ginseng and glass of water. Would a full apple be a problem? I'm not a fan of drinking any calories except for milk and protein shakes. I would just prefer to eat and fill my bottomless pit as much as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not a problem Lion; enjoy your apple or orange or kiwi fruit, or slice of raisin & toast bread even, just enjoy! We're not talking about having a meal here as you can obviously see, so go for it ...

Fadi.

Last edited:
Posted via Mobile Device

So many health benefits with consuming juice MAINLY vegetable but juicing 1 apple is not going to kill you... This does not mean that drinking 2L of store bought juice a day is a healthy thing. Ginseng is good it contains no caffeine... I have it daily in liquid form from a TCM practitioner.

Excellent work Fadi a very informative post. you have outdone yourself again.

Is there many people interested in competing here?

One has to be a warrior to compete as a bodybuilder especially today with what is required to win a major championship; so congratulation Damien for taking up the challenge.

Sometimes I wonder if bodybuilding has not taken a back sit to fat losing instead.

Fadi.