• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Even coaches don't always know what they are talking about, somebody who has coached elite athletes for decades might still have ideas that just don't work for the masses.

If an entire team used the same combination of sets and rep's do you think all would respond the same?

This is from Dan Riley;

In the past we had linemen perform sets of only a few reps with heavy weights.

The quarterbacks, receivers and defensive backs performed set with higher reps and lighter weights.
We assumed we could change how a muscle responds by the numbers of reps performed.

*Experience * has taught us that you can't change a muscles capacity to grow simply by altering the number of reps performed.

Genetic potential and the intensity of exercise stimulate muscular development, not the number of reps".

Heard all this shit before and he makes the same mistakes as others do. He tries to disregard strength by comparing strength levels and size of different lifters. Doesn't work that way, but if an individual increases there strength in someway chances are they will get bigger. He also makes the mistake of using 1RM as the only form of strength.

Fact is no one gets bigger by progressively getting weaker over time. You need to get stronger over time, that doesn't necessarily mean 1rm strength, there are plenty of other areas of strength to develop.

People read this shit to justify curling 5kg dumbbells and squatting 20kg saying strength doesnt matter. Have a look at all the pro BBs none of them would be weaker than when they first started lifting. They will have all progressed a shit load since they started.

his bf isn't saying anything new, train for your goals.

yeah comparing tom platz legs to the 1000 pound squatter in terms of leg mass is a bit stupid. Genetics is very important in bodybuilding, you don't change your genetics by squatting 1000 pounds.

Pretty much how I feel
Tom Platz was a 765lb (347.5kg)squatter and did 525lb (237.5kg) for 23 reps
To say that he didn't take strength training seriously is fucking stupid

some of you need to get off your high horses, seriously.

I doubt too many of you nay sayers have spent years training with lighter weights, and not chasing numbers, so how is it you can claim that the methods don't work.

Think about it,

When you have spent "x" amount of years training with this method, and produce mediocre gains, then you can tell the masses that it is not effective.

until then, take your own advice and don't comment.

Pretty much how I feel
Tom Platz was a 765lb (347.5kg)squatter and did 525lb (237.5kg) for 23 reps
To say that he didn't take strength training seriously is fucking stupid

Platz didn't give a shit about been strong he just wanted the biggest wheels in bb. Strength was a byproduct of that.

some of you need to get off your high horses, seriously.

I doubt too many of you nay sayers have spent years training with lighter weights, and not chasing numbers, so how is it you can claim that the methods don't work.

Think about it,

When you have spent "x" amount of years training with this method, and produce mediocre gains, then you can tell the masses that it is not effective.

funny-pictures-superior-cat-on-horse-jpg.jpg

I'm staying up on my high horse than you very much.

Think about it,

Yep been there and done that. Spent the first year or so doing the BB type programs with the BB type techniques. Didn't do shit for me. Realised I needed to build a base and get past beginner stage before worrying about any of that shit.

Ok I'm over my little rant, I gave up trying to argue with people about this topic,

I just reckon pumpin' is getting picked on a bit too much.

I hope he does stick it out and get some good gains,

I have only been training by feel for about 6 months now, hopefully I can keep at it for another year, at least then I may be able to back up my posts with some muscle.

happy training

Awww brad, you sir, have had beautiful results. Pumpin is doing just fine, I checked his transformation log today, awesome results so far.

As Goosey & Bazza have said, just try it & be consistent & show us the results when you're done? Brad you are testament that gains can be made with this training style, I look forward to seeing Pumpinirons continued progress too :)

Platz didn't give a shit about been strong he just wanted the biggest wheels in bb. Strength was a byproduct of that.

Apart from the fact that he'd do heavy sets of 5 at the start of his workout

Awww brad, you sir, have had beautiful results. Pumpin is doing just fine, I checked his transformation log today, awesome results so far.

As Goosey & Bazza have said, just try it & be consistent & show us the results when you're done? Brad you are testament that gains can be made with this training style, I look forward to seeing Pumpinirons continued progress too :)

Thanx bella, keep in mind ive only been doing this high intensity training for 10 weeks.

Apart from the fact that he'd do heavy sets of 5 at the start of his workout

Whats that got do with anything, Platz woulda trained in any rep range to get those wheels. He just wanted to be the biggest baddest mofo out there.

Whats that got do with anything, Platz woulda trained in any rep range to get those wheels. He just wanted to be the biggest baddest mofo out there.

The point is that he took strength training very seriously and understood the relationship between getting strong as fuck and getting big as fuck

The point is that he took strength training very seriously and understood the relationship between getting strong as fuck and getting big as fuck

I never said bodybuilders were weak I just said they are primarily focused on getting big, with size gains comes strength gains.

Your a dickhead. If anyone trained like a bodybuilder it would be Tom Platz. Does the workout below look anything like fucking smolov or westside to you.

Squats 8-12 5-20
Hack Squats 5 10-15
Leg Extensions 5-8 10-15
Lying Leg Curls 6-10 10-15
Standing Calf Raises 3-4 10-15
Seated Calf Raises 3-4 10-15
Hack Machine Calf Raises 3-4 10-15