• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gyms in prison

This is why I lol when people say prisons are "holiday camps" etc, yeah sure they have a TV, but then again you might get killed one day!!

I had my cheek bone fractured and would have been in a fight on average 1/3 days. I didn't get any 1v1 fights. The whole thing in there was bash the new guy until he breaks or until another new guy comes. Two new guys came while I was in there and one tried to hang himself the second night where as the other was hospitalized.

Dude did you sue the shit out of the government for that. Going to jail is a bad enough experience, let alone for doing sweet fuck all.

Because I was aware of the crime and I openly discussed it and even talked about it with them before it happened left me "guilty" under Australian law. The whole concept of it was If i was to remain innocent I would need to call the police and dob my two "mates" in. When I say we openly talked about it I discussed it all with them but the whole time I was calling them idiots and telling them they shouldn't do it.

Today tonight did a story on us actually. You see my fancy arse barrister got myself and the other two off with no convictions recored as we were all from good families, we were all smart and had potential and most of all we were all discussed with what had happened. I had to plead guilty which I SWORE I would never do as I "hadn't done anything wrong". My barrister and my parents persuaded me that under the "law" I wouldn't have a case and I would loose my plea and get min 2 max 5. Not only that I would stay on remand for anything up to 18 months waiting for my trial...

SO today tonight did a story on these three criminals who got away with armed robbery with no convictions. Needless to say the media sponging Australian public were outraged and demanded a retrial thanks to today tonight. The QLD governor general overturned our sentences and wanted us trailed and convicted for a maximum sentence.

My barrister contacted me and told me this... He said in all his years of law this has never happened and he would do my defense at half price. One of the other two also opted for a paid barrister this time as we had to go to high court in Brisbane and sit in front of four judges for our new verdict.

The High court decided we were all good kids and we had good families and Judge Brittons decision was the right one for our situation.

The only legal action we looked into was against the local Toowoomba newspaper the Chronicle. They ran our story countless times and defamed me as a "mastermind" to these events.

My only regrets were that I never got to tell my side of the story. My barrister simply said that I disagree with the details that the co accused had given.

Years later I was at a new job and they put the story on the front page again. I nearly lost my job.. and had I... well I would have sued. I still see small minded people in this small minded town who say that I robbed a servo. It use to worry me but now I just don't care. I know what I did, I know my involvement. The co accused know my real involment.

There is obviously more to the story and if anything the experience woke me up to allot of things. I grew up allot quicker then any of my friends and I also really learnt the true value of real friendship and family.

^ That's insane. I can't believe through two people of questionable integrity's "here-say" you were sent to jail with no hard evidence. Unbelievable.

^That's fucked Gauche.

That's why i hate the "tough on crime" media and the ignorant people slaven to it. I hate criminals as much as anyone else. but people never know the full story.
another reason why there shouldnt be the death penalty and we need strong rule of law in a civilised society.
you would have been hanged a couple of centuries ago without a chance to appeal or voice your case.
not meaning to hijack your story mate just sayin in the context of this thread.

Great thread by the way guys, ausbb is a great forum where we can all discuss difficult issues respectfully even if we don't agree with each other.

Gauche have to admit that sucks and those x m8ts of yours, I would of never forgiven them. Its a total scum thing to do. M8ts do not rat,dog or help and in your case completely fucking lie.

One of the two became a Junkie the other completely turned his life around and I've now forgiven them both which took me years to do.

Your a better man than me as those two would be dead to me. They lied and put you in jail. There is no coming back from that.

Life is a joke but as you know the truth then you will be ok in a cosmic way (if not in any real physical way).

Give them gyms - at least it gives them something to do and keeps their minds busy - I would say alot of ppl have found the gym to calm them down and stop them from doing things while inside jail.

If someone wants to kill someone else they will do it - a having a barbell or not having one isnt going to make any difference.

Thanks for the supportive words guys. This happened years ago now (05). I applied for bail on my initial hearing thinking we were going to get it as I wasn't even at the scene of the crime.... Denied! Once I was denied my barrister said there is no point trying again. The person who robbed the store didn't bother applying where as the getaway drive applied after 19 days served and got it?!??!!???!? Tell me how that works.

The other guy who stayed in jail like me was released after our court date like myself. We all got 2 years probation. I had to do anger management programs, report twice a week to a probation office (visits slowed down over time) and do drug programs (I use to smoke a bit of weed to which I honestly admitted too... Big mistake). I found out later the other two didn't do any courses and only had monthly visits because they both moved back to gundi.

The majority of the violence in my unit was boredom so I do agree with the weights. Having said that getting bashed by three people is different to getting bashed by three people using dumb bells. I'm on the fence really. Most units only got gym once a week and oval once a week. We were lucky and got oval every day but gym once a fortnight. Having said that playing touch footy in jail isn't much fun lol.

Great thread guys. Some points that stuck out at me:
The correctional goals of the criminal justice system are retribution, restitution, incapacitation, rehabilitation and deterrence...

...Capital punishment costs more than life in prison.
I'm interested how the courts fit all this into some of the prison sentences I've seen...

Also, re the death penalty, that also hasnt worked in the past plus you run the risk of killing innocent people. Hundreds of people have been exonerated from death row in the USA and there are examples of people being found innocent after years in prison for crimes that would carry the death penalty it it were still in operation in Australia.
Having said that, I have never seen someone go into life imprisonment for a first offence. Usually its suspended sentence or something similar. I figure if the person gets a death penalty it is the result of a life of crime, and the final straw, whether they are 'exonerated' later or not, is not so important.

Lifting weights is a good way to learn respect, dedication, discipline, effort etc and the rewards could go a long way towards rehabilitation.
Agree with this.

They get anything they bloody want. I f they dont want to work in there they dont bloody have to, they can sit around watching tv, playing playstation, tennis, footy, weight training, boxing.
He is right unfortunately. Especially with Juveniles. The courts go easy on these lads (usually due to their upbringing and other points raised by leachy) but the quickly discover incarcertaion is better than living at home. So it is no longer a deterrent. Swimming pools, basketball courts, plus you get to see all your mates! More like a holiday home.

...Tell me how that works.
Sorry to hear your story mate. I think on the scale of things the system is broken and anyone middle and upper class are happy to leave it like that. Unfortunately some stories like yours do happen, and the ones who do deserve prison get so many chances it makes me sick.

All in all though, I think someone on this thread put it best when they said the gym should be a reward for working hard. Just like swimming pools, internet, magazines etc. should all be rewards. If you don't want to work, you aren't prepared to 'rehabilitate'. Bread and water. If you want to develop a good working attitute then you will be rewarded.

I think the attitudes some of them hold start at an early age where they get no rewards. They have to look after themselves, and have no responsible person to really instill the 'worker' in them. Its so much easier just to not work, get handed welfare and steal what else you want. Especially if the court only gives you a slap on the wrist because you are 'too young'!

Thanks for the supportive words guys. This happened years ago now (05). I applied for bail on my initial hearing thinking we were going to get it as I wasn't even at the scene of the crime.... Denied! Once I was denied my barrister said there is no point trying again. The person who robbed the store didn't bother applying where as the getaway drive applied after 19 days served and got it?!??!!???!? Tell me how that works.

The other guy who stayed in jail like me was released after our court date like myself. We all got 2 years probation. I had to do anger management programs, report twice a week to a probation office (visits slowed down over time) and do drug programs (I use to smoke a bit of weed to which I honestly admitted too... Big mistake). I found out later the other two didn't do any courses and only had monthly visits because they both moved back to gundi.

I read through your posts, interesting.

I think its fair enough under 'Australian law' that an accessory before the fact receives the same sentence as a principle in the first degree as the level of malice/effort they put into it is almost equal and often in things like drug gangs they can be the big player behind the crime. That said, I think for what you claimed to have done your sentence was harsh.

Your lucky that nothing escalated or you could have been done with murder.

Also have you considered a case of defamation against the Chronicle or Today Tonight? depending on what they said you might have a good one.

Reckon you could tell me your case name or if you dont know it your last name and the date? I'd like to read the transcript.

Probation for armed rob? WTF.. This country is soft.
If we kept every offender inside locked up, our prisons would become overfilled. The US has a pretty lax probation/parole system and there jails are at breaking point.

Sends a positive message..

I get in more trouble for driving a modified car.

You don't goto prison for driving a modified car. You know it's wrong and illegal yet you continue to do it. No sympathy from me.

There were good reasons why the sentence was so light and judging it without knowing the whole story is throwing you in the today tonight basket with the rest of the spoon feds.

There were good reasons why the sentence was so light and judging it without knowing the whole story is throwing you in the today tonight basket with the rest of the spoon feds.

x2. Never make judgement when you haven't read the transcript and even then be careful - the law deals with people and people are flawed.

The amount of times I've heard 'I signed this because i didnt understand', 'I signed this because they told me to' and 'I said this because I was sick of courts' would blow your fucking mind, and thats when you get people who speak english.